BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

10-29-2017, 06:47 PM   #1
Chris M4CS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M4CS

Starting Issue

I have a 2011 E92 M3 with 34K on the odometer. Lately, and becoming more frequently, when I start my car, the starter turns the engine for a long time without firing...like there is no fuel or spark. But I stop it by pressing the ignition button and try again, and it fires right up. I am not throwing any codes even though I am nearing the time I should replace the plugs and probably the battery. The first time it happened, my wife opened the passenger door just as I hit the start button, so I thought it was just a one-time electronics gremlin. But now it seems to happen more frequently when starting the car after being off a few days. When I don't drive the car for any long periods, I do put it on battery tender. Has anyone else had similar symptoms? TIA
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 08:25 PM   #2
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

If it's cranking fast and strong it's not a battery problem. Sounds more like fuel to me. One trick you can try is when you get in push the ignition button twice to turn the ignition on but do not press the brake on a dct or clutch in a 6mt. Let it sit on for 20 seconds or so. This will activate the fuel pump and bring fuel up to the rail. Then try and start it. If this fixes the problem/starts right up then it's taking a long time for your fuel to get from the tank to the fuel rail.

Could also try pulling codes.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 08:31 PM   #3
Chris M4CS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M4CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleepboost View Post
If it's cranking fast and strong it's not a battery problem. Sounds more like fuel to me. One trick you can try is when you get in push the ignition button twice to turn the ignition on but do not press the brake on a dct or clutch in a 6mt. Let it sit on for 20 seconds or so. This will activate the fuel pump and bring fuel up to the rail. Then try and start it. If this fixes the problem/starts right up then it's taking a long time for your fuel to get from the tank to the fuel rail.

Could also try pulling codes.
Good idea, I will try that. I have checked for codes, and I had none.
Appreciate 0