BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-02-2017, 12:46 PM   #1
Matt376
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB/Mugello Red X5 M

Frustrating Nav Issue

Bought a 2017 F85 about 2-3 months ago and have under 1,500 miles on the clock. After about a month of ownership I noticed that while driving my Nav would automatically pull up the address of a local restaraunt that my wife and I went to in the F85. Sometimes it would do this just after starting and sometimes it woild happen shortly after starting to drive the car regardless of leaving form my house, work, target, etc. I “reset” the headunit but still ended up happening. I deleted that destination from the history as well. Still it somehow came out of the blue and would randomly want to take me there. The dealer decided to replace the headunit. I was sooo hopeful the issue would be done. Got the car back this am drive to the gym over my lunch put it in park and was setting up my user profile (deleted with the new headunit) and randomly the Nav ole ed up and magically the address was there again. Has anyone else had this happen to their F85 or any other BMW model for that matter?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 01:18 PM   #2
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

How did you "reset" the system?

Do you have this set up in ConnectedDrive or on the phone app? It could be sent to the Nav from another device which may be causing the issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 01:52 PM   #3
Matt376
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
How did you "reset" the system?

Do you have this set up in ConnectedDrive or on the phone app? It could be sent to the Nav from another device which may be causing the issue.
The day I initially reported the issue to them, they had me clear the recent destinations log. A few days later the issue occurred again so I called up there and my service rep had me "reset" by pressing and holding the volume/power button until the head unit rebooted.

I would think that by replacing the whole head unit any trace of that address should have vanished.

I did consider the possibility as you mentioned above as this latest occurrence was within seconds of setting up my Apple CarPlay. However, if it was the phone: 1) Why would the phone even have that address if I never navigated there via the "Maps" app on the phone and 2) It's the BMW's Nav that is opening the destination not the CarPlay Maps. Just to see if that is/was the issue, I did immediately un-pair my phone and will leave it un-paired for a week or two. If it happens without it paired, it can be ruled out.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 02:38 PM   #4
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Thanks for the head's up on the reset. I was told there is no "manual reset" like previous systems.

There is another way to send destinations to your vehicle. That is through the BMWassist. Even if a head unit is replaced and there is an address that is continually sent from there it will proceed to do so on the replace unit.

I am not saying this is the issue or the solution just a suggestion to look in your BMW account and clear all addresses.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 06:34 PM   #5
Matt376
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Thanks for the head's up on the reset. I was told there is no "manual reset" like previous systems.

There is another way to send destinations to your vehicle. That is through the BMWassist. Even if a head unit is replaced and there is an address that is continually sent from there it will proceed to do so on the replace unit.

I am not saying this is the issue or the solution just a suggestion to look in your BMW account and clear all addresses.
I didn’t think to look at the BMW Connected app on the phone. Opened it up and went to the “destinations” section and it had about 5 addresses in there. One of which was the address that keeps popping up. I deleted all the entries. If it does fix the issue, I’ll have to wonder why it chose that addresss and why it was automically activating to begin with. I’ll report back if this doesn’t fix the issue. Thx for the idea.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 01:45 AM   #6
sos_73
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F85 (2015)

I hope for you it's a good restaurant if you have to go every day!!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 08:19 PM   #7
Matt376
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sos_73 View Post
I hope for you it's a good restaurant if you have to go every day!!
LOL... the Gruenauer in KC. It’s pretty damn good German Food!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 08:16 AM   #8
KMA
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 X6M,'07 M6Conv,'18 M3

Oddly, I noticed this same issue on our '18 M3, which only occurs when I drive it and connected to my phone (i.e., Not an issue for wife). It is definitely the BMW ConnectedApp. Do you allow the ConnectedApp to connect to your calendar? Do you use Exchange as your mail server? Below where it asks you to go to that destination is there an option that says go to ConnectedApp?

I haven't tried to fix this since I only occasionally drive this car, but if you see any similarity to above questions, I'll certainly take a look further and let you know if I can figure out how to clear it out.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 01:55 PM   #9
Matt376
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA View Post
Oddly, I noticed this same issue on our '18 M3, which only occurs when I drive it and connected to my phone (i.e., Not an issue for wife). It is definitely the BMW ConnectedApp. Do you allow the ConnectedApp to connect to your calendar? Do you use Exchange as your mail server? Below where it asks you to go to that destination is there an option that says go to ConnectedApp?

I haven't tried to fix this since I only occasionally drive this car, but if you see any similarity to above questions, I'll certainly take a look further and let you know if I can figure out how to clear it out.
Thanks. Since clearing out the history on the Connected app, I haven't had the issue resurface. I don't want to jinx myself and say the issue is resolved yet, so I will report back in another week or two.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      11-07-2017, 04:23 PM   #10
KMA
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 X6M,'07 M6Conv,'18 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt376 View Post
Thanks. Since clearing out the history on the Connected app, I haven't had the issue resurface. I don't want to jinx myself and say the issue is resolved yet, so I will report back in another week or two.
I am betting this solves your issue. I found the address that kept coming up for me right there on the "Activity" screen in the app. It looks like one of them I had looked up in destinations and maybe pressed "Go" instead of "Send to Car", so it was basically waiting for the phone to connect to the car to push the destination info into it (rather than send it to messages)--which it was doing every time I got in the car! Just delete in app and resolves.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 05:23 PM   #11
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Sorry for your troubles, but I find this hilarious. Glad to hear you've found a solution.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0