ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

11-29-2017, 07:45 AM   #1
Rh6363
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Soon to be bmw m3

Cost before delivery

So here's where I am at. My car is scheduled to be delivered end of this month. Excluding the deal for the car, here are the cost I am looking at now before even seeing my car.

Xpel front nose - $2000 (hood, bumper, mirrors, fenders)
Winter tires (using my stock 18" wheels) - approx $1200
New car prep detail from a private detail shop - $1200/$1500 with ceramic coating.

Sounds about right?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 07:53 AM   #2
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rh6363 View Post
So here's where I am at. My car is scheduled to be delivered end of this month. Excluding the deal for the car, here are the cost I am looking at now before even seeing my car.

New car prep detail from a private detail shop - $1200/$1500 with ceramic coating.

Sounds about right?
Are you planning on always using the stock rims and just changing tires?

I would just get a decently cheap set of 18" rims and tires. I spec'd them out to be ~1,600 when I looked on tirerack. Plus mounting so around 1750.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 09:32 AM   #3
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:

Sounds about right?
Same here. Minus winter tires. What are those for?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 02:39 PM   #4
Rh6363
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post
Are you planning on always using the stock rims and just changing tires?

I would just get a decently cheap set of 18" rims and tires. I spec'd them out to be ~1,600 when I looked on tirerack. Plus mounting so around 1750.
I've been on the fence on which way to go. I love the 18" might just keep them.

I haven't really looked at full sets on tires rack
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 02:41 PM   #5
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

The detailing prices appear to be directionally consistent with what I would expect.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 02:46 PM   #6
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

The bulge in my pants is going directionally not where I want it
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 02:48 PM   #7
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

You should consider outlaying some cash for quality car care products as well if you do not already have them. How long the coating will last is largely dependent on how the vehicle is cared for. Specifically, microfiber clothes, wash mitts, brushes for wheels, soap, wheel cleaner, pressure washer, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 01:47 AM   #8
Rockshaker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3, MG 318i 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
You should consider outlaying some cash for quality car care products as well if you do not already have them. How long the coating will last is largely dependent on how the vehicle is cared for. Specifically, microfiber clothes, wash mitts, brushes for wheels, soap, wheel cleaner, pressure washer, etc.
Don't forget to do the rocker panels & wheel arches! You'll regret it if you don't.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 09:09 AM   #9
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Quote:
100%. I had just generic bucket/mitt/wheel brush type supplies for prior vehicles. For my F80, If I added up all of my car care supply costs (I'm not kidding, I actually am quite depressed now that I have roughly summed this up), I’ve got to be above $1700. Yes, I did purchase a pressure washer, foam cannon, and master blaster - but to me those are necessary to keep this thing in showroom condition and can be used for more cars than just the one. From my personal opinion, the car looks damn near the day it rolled off of the production line and responses I get don't always believe the car even has 10k miles on it, much less over 20.

To the quick list above, I’d add/specify:
  • A “touch up” product for whichever coating you have applied. I haven’t had to wax my car since new thanks to this stuff.
  • Multiple colors / piles of MF towels. Forex., the towel used on the low rockers and bumper bottom surfaces shouldn’t be used on your doors. Same goes for any door jamb towels/underhood or undertrunk towels, don’t use them on exterior non-clearbra’d surfaces. Keep dirt with like dirt, in my words.
  • *I use super plush MF’s (VERY Deep pile) for any thing that needs to touch exterior paint. Car is just about 100% swirl free after 2.5 years*
  • Two years ago, I would’ve recommended dedicated waffle weave towels for drying, but I’ve had a hard lesson learned in that time. Now I don’t touch the paint to dry it. Bought the master blaster (You could use a good leaf blower, but I’d jury rig some filter to the output stream) and haven’t regretted it for one second. Yes, I’ll have some water runoffs the next day, but after a quick shot of my coating touch up product for lubrication and a wipe with a plush MF; the car looks PERFECT after my wash.
  • A minimum of TWO 5-gallon buckets. Always rinse whatever towel/mitt you’re using before re-soaping it up. I actually do two buckets for wheels and loose/surface dirt removal on the lower (clear filmed) areas. Then rinse and another 2 fresh buckets to actually wash the car. I use a third bucket as a stool while working on the wheels.

It takes some time but you’ll get into a groove and the wash becomes second nature after a while. It’s relaxing time for me now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockshaker View Post
Don't forget to do the rocker panels & wheel arches! You'll regret it if you don't.
Couldn’t agree more on this. I'd also recommend you add the lower 2" of the doors themselves, below the style lines, if the car is intended to be a keeper. And if you're going F80 and intending to modify stance at all (Spacers/custom offsets), definitely do not skip bringing up the film on the rear arches. You'll regret it in less than 12 months - ask me how I know.

Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Pricing seems to be in line with appropriate market. I'd have the same place do xpel and the prep/correction - why split the work up? Maybe you're just itemizing them, in that case carry on. I’d do the roof as well, but ymmv - I was talked into just doing the leading 5-6" of the roof - less than a year later I wished I had done the whole thing. I got a chip about 2" behind the film. It bothers me every time I wash the car now.

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 04:58 PM   #10
M4FOREVER
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i 535i

Wow. Lots of experience. I welcome your knowledge sir. I will be heeding your advice especially about the roof. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 09:56 PM   #11
Rh6363
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Wow. Yes great insight. The detailer I get my cars done will also be doing the ppf. I have no water access in my garage. So still have 26 days to figure out how to wash my car myself or have to take it to my detailer every so often to get it washed. I live in an apartment building in nyc
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 01:33 AM   #12
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Wow. Yes great insight. The detailer I get my cars done will also be doing the ppf. I have no water access in my garage. So still have 26 days to figure out how to wash my car myself or have to take it to my detailer every so often to get it washed. I live in an apartment building in nyc
Rinseless washes are perfect for that situation.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 10:52 PM   #13
Iceman1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 6MT / 330Ci / S2000

Quote:

Sounds about right?

What exactly is the ceramic coating for above and beyond the Xpel / clear bra? Maybe if there's any links to help educate?

My F80's coming in January and would like to know. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 10:57 PM   #14
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman1 View Post
What exactly is the ceramic coating for above and beyond the Xpel / clear bra? Maybe if there's any links to help educate?

My F80's coming in January and would like to know. Thanks.
I'm not trying to be rude but the best link is below. Spend some time searching through threads and you'll get a flavor for what a ceramic coating is and what's available in the market.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/search.php
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 10:27 PM   #15
Iceman1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 6MT / 330Ci / S2000

Quote:
I'm not trying to be rude but the best link is below. Spend some time searching through threads and you'll get a flavor for what a ceramic coating is and what's available in the market.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/search.php
I know your not trying to be rude, I've seen informative posts from you.. was hoping to just get the cliff notes..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 10:47 PM   #16
zzirgrizz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
You should get a rinseless wash and a bunch of microfibers to wash and dry your car.

I use Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine and it's amazing. Leaves no swirls or scratches on the paint.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 10:55 PM   #17
Rh6363
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutRanger View Post
You should get a rinseless wash and a bunch of microfibers to wash and dry your car.

I use Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine and it's amazing. Leaves no swirls or scratches on the paint.
Which micro fiber towels are good for the no rinse wash.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 11:31 PM   #18
zzirgrizz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutRanger View Post

Which micro fiber towels are good for the no rinse wash.
I like using 600 GSM micro fibers for the washing, and then a waffle weave towel for drying.

You could also use a chenille washmitt for washing.

The Rag Company has a lot of choices and in my opinion the highest quality towels for a good price. Their customer service is also great, always quick to reply and can guide you on the best towel to use.
Appreciate 0