Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

01-02-2018, 02:42 PM   #1
FC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 F90, '23 BGTS 4.0, '21 GTI

It's time: FC's M3 order thread

Well, after a couple of years of debating, reading, and waiting, it's about time I start seriously planning my M3 order.

The plan is to do ED (3rd time for me) for late June followed by PC delivery whenever the car arrives. We plan on taking the two boys with us to Europe (hence the late June timing - when school ends).

The tentative order spec is:

-Sakhir Orange exterior
-Black extended leather interior
-MT
-ZCP with black 20" wheels.
-Moonroof (I know, but I am quite sure about this one). I'll likely do gloss vinyl on the roof.

Maybe: ZEC and Apple carplay. More on that in a bit.

As far as ordering, when I did ED in the past I bought it from dealers out of state because in MA nobody would offer a remotely competitive deal. I expect that to continue to be the case now.

Question 1: If I plan on doing PC delivery, it doesn't really matter who I buy from, right? I mean, the car will never touch that dealer. I just pick it up in SC and drive it home. If that is the case, can someone PM me a dealer who knows about ED and can offer a competitive deal over invoice?

Question 2: Things can always change, but I plan on holding on to this car for probably about 6 years, so my inclination is to buy instead of lease. Any merit to lease and then buy, or is the premium for doing that so high I ought to just buy?

Question 3: I'm torn on ZEC. Because I'm getting extended leather and I really want the heated ear seats and wheel, it seems $3k might be worth it to also get HUD, LED lights, PDC, etc. Thoughts?

Question 4: What are the thoughts on carplay for 2018? Is it worth it now or is it still a consensus no?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 02:49 PM   #2
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Well, after a couple of years of debating, reading, and waiting, it's about time I start seriously planning my M3 order.

The plan is to do ED (3rd time for me) for late June followed by PC delivery whenever the car arrives. We plan on taking the two boys with us to Europe (hence the late June timing - when school ends).

The tentative order spec is:

-Sakhir Orange exterior
-Black extended leather interior
-MT
-ZCP with black 20" wheels.
-Moonroof (I know, but I am quite sure about this one). I'll likely do gloss vinyl on the roof.

Maybe: ZEC and Apple carplay. More on that in a bit.

As far as ordering, when I did ED in the past I bought it from dealers out of state because in MA nobody would offer a remotely competitive deal. I expect that to continue to be the case now.

Question 1: If I plan on doing PC delivery, it doesn't really matter who I buy from, right? I mean, the car will never touch that dealer. I just pick it up in SC and drive it home. If that is the case, can someone PM me a dealer who knows about ED and can offer a competitive deal over invoice?

Question 2: Things can always change, but I plan on holding on to this car for probably about 6 years, so my inclination is to buy instead of lease. Any merit to lease and then buy, or is the premium for doing that so high I ought to just buy?

Question 3: I'm torn on ZEC. Because I'm getting extended leather and I really want the heated ear seats and wheel, it seems $3k might be worth it to also get HUD, LED lights, PDC, etc. Thoughts?

Question 4: What are the thoughts on carplay for 2018? Is it worth it now or is it still a consensus no?

I think the HUD and headlights make it worth it.

You can roll the dice and see if you get lucky w/ the headlights anyway but I wouldn't take the chance as you'll likely have the car for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 02:54 PM   #3
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
That is correct. You can buy from any dealership in the BMW USA network of dealers. I did this with when I purchased my 2016 and it went off without a hitch.

Quote:
This question is loaded and you'll literally run down a rabbit hole reading arguments for both positions. This is something you'll have to research and see which makes sense for your situation.

Quote:
I highly recommend ZEC. IMHO, the headlights and HUD alone are worth the price of admission.

Quote:
I didn't tick the box so I can't speak to it.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 03:12 PM   #4
FC
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
That is correct. You can buy from any dealership in the BMW USA network of dealers. I did this with when I purchased my 2016 and it went off without a hitch.

This question is loaded and you'll literally run down a rabbit hole reading arguments for both positions. This is something you'll have to research and see which makes sense for your situation.

I highly recommend ZEC. IMHO, the headlights and HUD alone are worth the price of admission.

I didn't tick the box so I can't speak to it.
Thanks for the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #5
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:

Correct on both situations -ED and PC. If you look at the ED paperwork you will find that the ED redelivery entry is blank. You can write any dealer code in that entry, it is not required to enter the selling dealer. The trick is getting the dealer code that you want. My brother did this -selling dealer in one state, ED redelivery dealer in our state. No extra charges as the $995 destination charge that everybody pays for a BMW (regardless of ED) means ED redelivery by BMW to any US state. Car will never touch the selling dealer.

Quote:
Take a look at BMW Select if your state allows it. It may be your best compromise -car is yours for 5 years, lower payments than finance and then you can decide if you sell it or refinance at maturity.

Quote:
Obviously.

Quote:
No.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 06:10 PM   #6
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Correct on both situations -ED and PC. If you look at the ED paperwork you will find that the ED redelivery entry is blank. You can write any dealer code in that entry, it is not required to enter the selling dealer. The trick is getting the dealer code that you want. My brother did this -selling dealer in one state, ED redelivery dealer in our state. No extra charges as the $995 destination charge that everybody pays for a BMW (regardless of ED) means ED redelivery by BMW to any US state. Car will never touch the selling dealer.

Take a look at BMW Select if your state allows it. It may be your best compromise -car is yours for 5 years, lower payments than finance and then you can decide if you sell it or refinance at maturity.

Obviously.

No.
I don't agree w/ going for BMW Select.

You will be paying shit tons of interest as you pay interest on the bubble the entire duration of the "lease".
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 06:24 PM   #7
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

I wondered about CarPlay as well and ultimately decided against it. It just didn't provide any added functionality for me. I was happy with my decision, but became really happy when I recently realized that it can be added after-market for the same price as if ordered from the factory. So if Apple adds something useful (like Waze), I'll buy it then.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 06:27 PM   #8
FC
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
I wondered about CarPlay as well and ultimately decided against it. It just didn't provide any added functionality for me. I was happy with my decision, but became really happy when I recently realized that it can be added after-market for the same price as if ordered from the factory. So if Apple adds something useful (like Waze), I'll buy it then.
Good to know! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 06:37 PM   #9
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post
I don't agree w/ going for BMW Select.

You will be paying shit tons of interest as you pay interest on the bubble the entire duration of the "lease".
OP is considering the refinance the Residual Value, which is incentivized for leasing, not real-world. Only comparing the two options then it can be properly determined which one is lowest cost.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 08:34 PM   #10
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Question 1: Correct. I can PM you who I used at Long Beach BMW, which is a very high volume dealer. Let me know.

Question 2: My thinking is to lease if you want to own for 3 years or less because the deals are good and you don't have the hassle of selling the car. For a planned 6 year ownership, personally I'd finance. As stated for a lease you are capitalizing on BMWs overly optimistic residual values, which will be a liability if you finance the residual. Of course, if you choose to finance the residual, you can negotiate the price of the car based on true market value.

Question 3: Just do it. You'd hate to have regrets after the car is delivered. (I learned on the hard way when I ordered by first BMW, a 1999 528 5-speed.)

Question 4: I don't know, but for $350 or whatever it is, if you use an iPhone I'd get it. See comments above.

Have fun!
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18183.50
FC245.00
      01-02-2018, 09:20 PM   #11
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

I thought about leasing and then buying a new M3 after lease end, just to have the security of being able to give the car back if something out of the blue arises like financial issues that i don't foresee or an accident or such..

But the 3 year leasing then buying the car after the lease is almost $10K over vs financing the from the start.
      01-03-2018, 11:38 PM   #12
drkeng
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M4 'vert Tanz Blue

HUD is one of my favorite features; had it on my '14 435 and instantly fell in love with it.

Apple Car Play wasn't a lot of money, but probably isn't needed.
      01-04-2018, 04:26 AM   #13
mwh2009
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Not sure if this helps you, but I bought my M3 off the lot with exec pkg but without CarPlay (didn't have the option to order one my way at the time).

I got the exec pkg - and love it. Heated steering wheel and HUD especially.

As for CarPlay, I downloaded it later for $300 on the connected drive website. So you don't have to decide now. If that helps you at all.
No longer with me: 2018 Golf R, 2017 F80 M3, 2016 F30 340i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 09:43 AM   #14
FC
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwh2009 View Post
Not sure if this helps you, but I bought my M3 off the lot with exec pkg but without CarPlay (didn't have the option to order one my way at the time).

I got the exec pkg - and love it. Heated steering wheel and HUD especially.

As for CarPlay, I downloaded it later for $300 on the connected drive website. So you don't have to decide now. If that helps you at all.
To be honest, if the heated wheel and rear seats were a stand-alone $800 option, I would not consider the ZEC, but in all, I think it's worthwhile.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 12:02 PM   #15
golovko
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW G80 M3C - IOMG/KO

I added CarPlay to my wife's 2017 X5 and love it. It's a significantly better user experience for the simple fact that I don't have to take my phone out to change audio sources. i.e. listening to Apple Music then switching to Audible for an audio book. Siri integration is much better as well, doesn't look like you're making a call but instead you see the Siri interface on screen.

I don't use the Apple Maps navigation though simply because the BMW maps will display directions in the HUD while CarPlay doesn't.

I'll be adding CarPlay for sure to my 2018 M3 ED order this summer.
2017 BMW X5 40e M-Sport - Gone
2015 BMW M3 - Gone - ED Pickup June 2nd, 2015
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 09:18 PM   #16
FC
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
I added CarPlay to my wife's 2017 X5 and love it. It's a significantly better user experience for the simple fact that I don't have to take my phone out to change audio sources. i.e. listening to Apple Music then switching to Audible for an audio book. Siri integration is much better as well, doesn't look like you're making a call but instead you see the Siri interface on screen.

I don't use the Apple Maps navigation though simply because the BMW maps will display directions in the HUD while CarPlay doesn't.

I'll be adding CarPlay for sure to my 2018 M3 ED order this summer.
Interesting. I do like the flexibility of adding it later, but it might be nice to have it for the two week sin Europe.

I thought the big detraction to carplay was that the unit was not a touch screen. But I though it is as of MY2018, so should it not be a must-have now?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 09:33 PM   #17
golovko
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW G80 M3C - IOMG/KO

Quote:
Interesting. I do like the flexibility of adding it later, but it might be nice to have it for the two week sin Europe.

I thought the big detraction to carplay was that the unit was not a touch screen. But I though it is as of MY2018, so should it not be a must-have now?
That's what my CA informed me that it is a touchscreen for MY2018. It works great as a touchscreen in the X5
2017 BMW X5 40e M-Sport - Gone
2015 BMW M3 - Gone - ED Pickup June 2nd, 2015
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2018, 10:42 PM   #18
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Question 1: Correct. I can PM you who I used at Long Beach BMW, which is a very high volume dealer. Let me know.

Question 2: My thinking is to lease if you want to own for 3 years or less because the deals are good and you don't have the hassle of selling the car. For a planned 6 year ownership, personally I'd finance. As stated for a lease you are capitalizing on BMWs overly optimistic residual values, which will be a liability if you finance the residual. Of course, if you choose to finance the residual, you can negotiate the price of the car based on true market value.

Question 3: Just do it. You'd hate to have regrets after the car is delivered. (I learned on the hard way when I ordered by first BMW, a 1999 528 5-speed.)

Question 4: I don't know, but for $350 or whatever it is, if you use an iPhone I'd get it. See comments above.

Have fun!
/thread
Appreciate 2
KevinM2935.50
FC245.00