BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-05-2018, 11:08 AM   #1
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 230i X-Drive

So I just got a 2018 230i XDrive as a loaner car. I'm the first person to drive it (literally has 35 miles on it) and honestly, I'm very disappointed. Nothing about the car feels special. I do like the size of the car, it's perfect in my opinion (the 1er is slightly too small, 3 series is slightly too big) and the grip from the xdrive is very good in PNW rain. The transmission is fucking amazing, lightning fast shifts. The 2 series also has a better dampened suspension and is way less jarring. But the steering is very vague, even in sport + mode, the steering wheel itself feels cheap, the leather feels cheaper than our cars do, and the overall fit and finish feels very budget oriented. I wish I got a rwd M240i so I could have a more apples to apples comparison but as it stands 135i>230i.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 11:21 AM   #2
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiflicious View Post
So I just got a 2018 230i XDrive as a loaner car. I'm the first person to drive it (literally has 35 miles on it) and honestly, I'm very disappointed. Nothing about the car feels special. I do like the size of the car, it's perfect in my opinion (the 1er is slightly too small, 3 series is slightly too big) and the grip from the xdrive is very good in PNW rain. The transmission is fucking amazing, lightning fast shifts. The 2 series also has a better dampened suspension and is way less jarring. But the steering is very vague, even in sport + mode, the steering wheel itself feels cheap, the leather feels cheaper than our cars do, and the overall fit and finish feels very budget oriented. I wish I got a rwd M240i so I could have a more apples to apples comparison but as it stands 135i>230i.
I was given a 2017 230i loaner about 6 weeks ago, and also was able to test drive a 2017 6MT M240i, as well as an M2. The 230i and the M240i both have soft, roulette wheel type steering with virtually zero feedback to the driver. The M240i benefits from a much peppier engine, more responsive and powerful than the engine in the 135i (it's an S55 and makes more HP). The 6MT in the M240i was very good. I found the interior appointments of the M240i to be nicer than in my (now traded in) 2013 135i 6MT with a black leather interior.

I would not even consider buying a regular 2 series vehicle, any of them, if steering feedback were important to me, and it is.

I did ultimately put down a deposit on a stripped 6MT M2, and traded in my 135i on it. The EPS in the M2 is superior to that in the rest of the 2 series, however not as good as BMW hydraulic steering. Since I have other cars and since the 135i was no longer under any sort of warranty, I could not see continuing to drive it while waiting for the M2, since there was no reason to risk any number of multi-thousand dollar repairs on a car I will no longer drive after late March, in any event. I will just drive my Golf R for the balance of winter driving season. That car still has 1.5 years worth of warranty remaining.
      01-07-2018, 02:52 AM   #3
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
So after driving the car more, I'm starting to realize that I was perhaps a bit too harsh. The 2 series really is a fun car. The suspension is vastly superior to the 1 series. Much less body roll, more predictable, more comfortable. The seats are really supportive and it is easier to find a good driving position. But, and this is the big but, the steering is fucking awful. I'm not someone that has to have ultra communicative steering response, but I am someone that needs a good amount of weight and predictability with the steering. The steering is way too light. It's almost as light as my moms hybrid Camry. I thought that sport mode was supposed to make the steering heavier. It doesn't, at least not on the 230 x drive. I'm also not a fan of the steering wheel. I don't like the way it feels in my hands. I really hope the steering is better in the M240i and M2.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 09:44 AM   #4
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
I think you described a lot of things that are special about the platform. I also liked the suspension and was blown away by how fast and smooth the transmission is in these cars.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you in that the most important driver input has been completely stripped of feel and soul with a lot of slop on centre. Complete opposite of my Z4 M and 128i's feel. It makes it a very tough choice. The suspension on 1ers can be tuned; transmission can't (but not an issue for us 6MT drivers) so everyone just has to prioritize and make their own decisions. I'm not a fan since I already have a reliable 1er.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 09:50 AM   #5
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
I think you described a lot of things that are special about the platform. I also liked the suspension and was blown away by how fast and smooth the transmission is in these cars.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you in that the most important driver input has been completely stripped of feel and soul with a lot of slop on centre. Complete opposite of my Z4 M and 128i's feel. It makes it a very tough choice. The suspension on 1ers can be tuned; transmission can't (but not an issue for us 6MT drivers) so everyone just has to prioritize and make their own decisions. I'm not a fan since I already have a reliable 1er.
Actually our transmissions can be tuned via xhp for faster, smoother, more aggressive shifts. I have the stage 3 and it's about 70% of the ZF 8 speed in the 2 series. But seriously, that transmission is a work of art. The 4 cylinder turbo is also a masterpiece. I really think I have to drive a RWD M235i/M240i to really get the 2 series experience.
Appreciate 1
Lucky1650.00
      01-09-2018, 11:05 AM   #6
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Yeah I don't like how the new bmw EPS is really light at low speeds and only seems to firm up on the freeway.