Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

02-19-2018, 12:16 PM   #1
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2018 M550i, 2022 M4

Had a production number, but for a wrong car.

I placed my order last month for a 2018 M4. A week later, my advisor sent me an email with my build sheet and a production number attached to it. I have been tracking the car and it is supposed to be out of production, tomorrow. Today when I called to get a status update, the BMW Genius told me the car is not under my name (not sure why they haven't mentioned this at all before, because I called quite a few times and every time they ask for my name and production number). Apparently, the production number I got, belongs to a completely different dealer and a completely different M4 is being built on it. Verified with Genius and he said the car is Sahkir Orange, and it is supposed to be Tanzanite.

I called my dealer and he sent me a screen shot of my order that now shows status 047. I told him that means you guys don't have an allocation. He is telling me they do have an allocation, but my order is getting pushed back, because it is Individual (Tanzanite and Golden Brown, which is not that individual). I told him that if they did in fact have an allocation, I would still have a production number, but BMW just might push my build week, not get rid of my production number, completely.

Not sure what is going on here. I have been using this dealer for a while and do not think he is just trying to string me along. Also really weird that he sent me a build sheet with a production number attached to it, and it had my name on it and everything, and now apparently I no longer have that production number. Any suggestions? I am thinking the dealer just does not have an allocation, which is what I told him, but he assured me that they even now have an allocation, but it just because my order is individual. I have been doing a lot of business with him, and do not think he is giving me false information, I just think he does not have accurate information and probably knows a bit less about allocations and production numbers, than most people on this forum. Hopefully you guys can give me some pointers. The dealer even told me to call BMW directly and they will be able to confirm that their dealership actually has an allocation, but I do not think BMW is going to give that information out.

Pretty frustrating, because the production number I have been tracking so far, is getting out of production, tomorrow. Was expecting to get the car in about a month.
      02-19-2018, 01:18 PM   #2
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Seems simple enough. If they have the allocation, then provide the production number for it. The production number he initially gave you is obviously not for your order.

What it sounds like is that the dealership traded their allocation to another dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 01:27 PM   #3
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

It sounds like the allocation that was initially yours was probably given to someone else. You've been around the forums long enough to take a few guesses as to how that probably happened. Anyhow, the allocation that was provided to you recently is most likely your legitimate production number for a vehicle you will not see for a least a couple of months.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 01:35 PM   #4
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
Seems simple enough. If they have the allocation, then provide the production number for it. The production number he initially gave you is obviously not for your order.

What it sounds like is that the dealership traded their allocation to another dealer.
This is what I am thinking. The only thing I am confused by is how he was able to send me a build sheet, with my name, dealership name, all the car specifications and than be able to trade the production number (allocation). Very confused by this. The dealer hooked me up like crazy over the years, but now I feel like I am getting shafted.
      02-19-2018, 01:37 PM   #5
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
It sounds like the allocation that was initially yours was probably given to someone else. You've been around the forums long enough to take a few guesses as to how that probably happened. Anyhow, the allocation that was provided to you recently is most likely your legitimate production number for a vehicle you will not see for a least a couple of months.
Problem is that there is still no production number. Looks like the dealer is just stringing me along.

He said that a lot of people are off today, because of the Holiday, but he will get me an answer tomorrow. We will see what he comes up with.
      02-19-2018, 01:46 PM   #6
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecoce1 View Post
Problem is that there is still no production number. Looks like the dealer is just stringing me along.

He said that a lot of people are off today, because of the Holiday, but he will get me an answer tomorrow. We will see what he comes up with.
My apologies. I misread the last portion of your post and thought he later provided a production number. I think it's only fair to allow him an opportunity to provide an explanation and furnish a production number by close of business tomorrow. I would be incredibly frustrated as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 02:33 PM   #7
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
My apologies. I misread the last portion of your post and thought he later provided a production number. I think it's only fair to allow him an opportunity to provide an explanation and furnish a production number by close of business tomorrow. I would be incredibly frustrated as well.
Yea, will wait. I did just text him and ask him when 2019 production starts and he said in May. Thinking I might as well wait for the 2019 model at this time. As long as he can get me a production number for May, it wont be a total loss.
      02-19-2018, 06:00 PM   #8
Moota
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 Ferrari Red M4- 12 M3(Sold)

Quote:
This is what I am thinking. The only thing I am confused by is how he was able to send me a build sheet, with my name, dealership name, all the car specifications and than be able to trade the production number (allocation). Very confused by this. The dealer hooked me up like crazy over the years, but now I feel like I am getting shafted.
In the original build sheet is it marked “sold”?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 10:05 PM   #9
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moota View Post
In the original build sheet is it marked “sold”?
I believe so. Here is the sheet I got.
Attached Images

02-20-2018, 08:24 AM   #10
Moota
Private First Class
Rep

It's definitely listed as "Sold" which is correct. Usually the Production Number would be listed in the upper left. Sales Person and Customer would also usually be filled out.

It's a weird situation. In order for them to even create that build sheet they would have had to had an allocation. I just wonder if they screwed up internally - didnt think that that allocation was actually spoken for and made an error trading it to another dealer...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 09:02 AM   #11
monagram
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Convertible

I am in a similar situation, same color (but with Cohiba). My order was placed on 12/29 and now two months later I still don't have a production number.

When I stopped in at the dealer yesterday they told me that it might end up being a 2019 with a May build. When I questioned them on it they said that the regular 4 series orders are being cutover already, but at this point until I read it here I won't believe them.

As much as I love my 2015, I am very tempted to cut my losses and switch over to a c63 as this has been very frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 09:30 AM   #12
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It's definitely listed as "Sold" which is correct. Usually the Production Number would be listed in the upper left. Sales Person and Customer would also usually be filled out.

It's a weird situation. In order for them to even create that build sheet they would have had to had an allocation. I just wonder if they screwed up internally - didnt think that that allocation was actually spoken for and made an error trading it to another dealer...
Yea the production number was on there, I just erased, because at this point it belongs to someone else and I do not want to show that information.

I agree, I think they traded my allocation with the other dealer. They might have done it by accident, or the more likely is that they saw my order was individual and thought its going to take time anyways, so decided to trade it. Maybe they thought they would have another allocation at this time (a month later), but I guess not.
      02-20-2018, 09:32 AM   #13
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monagram View Post
I am in a similar situation, same color (but with Cohiba). My order was placed on 12/29 and now two months later I still don't have a production number.

When I stopped in at the dealer yesterday they told me that it might end up being a 2019 with a May build. When I questioned them on it they said that the regular 4 series orders are being cutover already, but at this point until I read it here I won't believe them.

As much as I love my 2015, I am very tempted to cut my losses and switch over to a c63 as this has been very frustrating.
I feel your pain. Especially because I was expecting to have the car in about 3 weeks, as per the production number they gave me. Now I am back to not even knowing when it will even go in to production. Started looking at used M6 gran coupes. Problem is that there are way too few manuals.
      02-20-2018, 09:57 AM   #14
Moota
Private First Class
Rep

Looks like you're in Brooklyn. You may try reaching out to BMW of Manhattan, Rallye or Westchester. I think they all have allocations.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 11:51 AM   #15
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

So no production number still. My dealer said the Manager of the dealership emailed the regional distribution manager. I am guessing they emailed him to get an allocation as quickly as possible. The distribution manager said he is going to do his best to get one for April, but still not guaranteed.

This sucks. It went from being a 3 month wait, to probably more like 5 to 6 months.
      02-21-2018, 12:01 PM   #16
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So no production number still. My dealer said the Manager of the dealership emailed the regional distribution manager. I am guessing they emailed him to get an allocation as quickly as possible. The distribution manager said he is going to do his best to get one for April, but still not guaranteed.

This sucks. It went from being a 3 month wait, to probably more like 5 to 6 months.
This is very disappointing to hear. This is the very reason I don't believe in that dealership loyalty stuff I hear about so often on this forum. At a moment's notice they forget you've purchased half a dozen cars from them and sent countless customers their way. Hopefully you're able to quickly pivot and find a dealership that has an allocation and can get you sorted in short order.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 12:15 PM   #17
Moota
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Did you reach out to any of the dealers I listed above?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 12:44 PM   #18
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
This is very disappointing to hear. This is the very reason I don't believe in that dealership loyalty stuff I hear about so often on this forum. At a moment's notice they forget you've purchased half a dozen cars from them and sent countless customers their way. Hopefully you're able to quickly pivot and find a dealership that has an allocation and can get you sorted in short order.
My dealer did forward me the email that was sent and the manager clearly stated that I purchased multiple cars from them and need to get a car asap. Hopefully they can get me in as soon as possible. I did decide to get completely individual seats now. Figured if I have to wait, might as well get something out of it. Going to go with two tone, black and Golden brown.

Quote:
Did you reach out to any of the dealers I listed above?
I actually work near Rallye BMW and have been there a few times. The problem is pricing. The price I am getting from my current dealer is very good and Ralley cant come even close. He is giving me Invoice pricing. Also he said due to the unexpected wait, he is going to give me an extra $1k off. So that's the other issue. If pricing was similar from other dealers, I would not mind switching, but I have been going to this dealer for the past 4 years and he always hooks it up with pricing. I'm also pushing them to get me a good price on an M performance exhaust. Hopefully the wait will pay off in the end, if I get the car cheaper.

The wait sucks though.
      02-21-2018, 01:02 PM   #19
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Will they be compensating you for your troubles?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 01:10 PM   #20
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Will they be compensating you for your troubles?
They are giving me an extra $1k off the agreed upon price. Also working it out with them to get the M performance exhaust added for a good price.

The $1k off is definitely better than nothing. Also if I end up getting a 2019 model instead of 2018, that will be somewhat a plus, even though I do not think there are going to be any changes, between the models.
      02-21-2018, 03:38 PM   #21
NCThreePedals
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 981 GT4/Audi Q8/F15 Diesel

Quote:
They are giving me an extra $1k off the agreed upon price. Also working it out with them to get the M performance exhaust added for a good price.

The $1k off is definitely better than nothing. Also if I end up getting a 2019 model instead of 2018, that will be somewhat a plus, even though I do not think there are going to be any changes, between the models.
$1k isn't much, push for cost on the MPE and they will have your word you won't cancel. 3-6 month wait with no guarantee is quite defeating.

Don't forget that the ball is in your court. Also don't look into a M6, they're huge and the body isn't timeless like the F8x
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 04:28 PM   #22
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCThreePedals View Post
$1k isn't much, push for cost on the MPE and they will have your word you won't cancel. 3-6 month wait with no guarantee is quite defeating.

Don't forget that the ball is in your court. Also don't look into a M6, they're huge and the body isn't timeless like the F8x
Yea, Ill keep pushing for the M Performance exhaust. Just changed my interior to a two tone color, hopefully that gets approved quickly.

I like the way the M6 Gran coupe looks, but they are very difficult to find in manual. Plus I currently have an f10 M5, which has the same engine. So I would prefer to get the M4, but I have a problem with having patience. As long as a nice fully loaded M6 Gran coupe does not fall in my lap, that is also manual, ill just wait for the M4.