Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

02-20-2018, 05:40 PM   #1
dongerkim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80

ED + PCD possible? Yes i know but...

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to view this thread. I currently have a ED delivery date on April 4th. The dealership i placed my order is from a relatively low volume dealer and they generally have very little ED/PCD experience.

The question I have is, has anyone had any problem doing both ED + PCD? i know it’s totally possible from my research but my CA says he can’t seem to figure it out. He has been in contact with ED department and they’re saying it’s not possible, but when i have received my confirmation email, reading the fine print it says ...

These are estimated timeframes and we appreciate your patience during this time period.
• East Coast: 6 – 8 weeks
• West Coast: 8 – 10 weeks
• Hawaii/Puerto Rico: 10 – 12 weeks
• Performance Center: 10 weeks

So it’s clearly possible. Could anyone here help my CA and i get this figured out? what is the deadline PCD has to be sent in by? I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 07:01 PM   #2
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongerkim View Post
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to view this thread. I currently have a ED delivery date on April 4th. The dealership i placed my order is from a relatively low volume dealer and they generally have very little ED/PCD experience.

The question I have is, has anyone had any problem doing both ED + PCD? i know it’s totally possible from my research but my CA says he can’t seem to figure it out. He has been in contact with ED department and they’re saying it’s not possible, but when i have received my confirmation email, reading the fine print it says ...

These are estimated timeframes and we appreciate your patience during this time period.
• East Coast: 6 – 8 weeks
• West Coast: 8 – 10 weeks
• Hawaii/Puerto Rico: 10 – 12 weeks
• Performance Center: 10 weeks

So it’s clearly possible. Could anyone here help my CA and i get this figured out? what is the deadline PCD has to be sent in by? I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thank you!!
I've done it on the east coast. Question - do you want to take delivery at Thermal or Spartanburg? I'm guessing Thermal...

Anyway, ideally, your CA should request PCD delivery as soon as the car is dropped off in Europe. Worst case, probably 1-2 weeks prior to vessel assignment / departure from Germany. PCD will assign destination location on your vehicle inquiry report.

You are probably wondering why cant dealer do this immediately? They don't know how long you will drive the car in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 07:16 PM   #3
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drexplode View Post
I've done it on the east coast. Question - do you want to take delivery at Thermal or Spartanburg? I'm guessing Thermal...
Performance Center Delivery is not available at Thermal. Never has been and no plans for it at this time.

Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10816.50
      02-20-2018, 07:24 PM   #4
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Performance Center Delivery is not available at Thermal. Never has been and no plans for it at this time.
Didn't know that! Thanks for sharing.

OP - I stand corrected, you should book as early as possible meaning immediately after drop off. Your CA needs to email PCD at Spartanburg requesting delivery: PerformanceCenterDelivery@bmwmc.com I believe there is a form that your CA has to fill out as well. If you want too long then your car will be assigned a vessel for the WC.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 09:41 PM   #5
Ibiza
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

Correct, should be assigned a vessel destined for Brunswick, GA, but my 1st ED/PCD 7 years ago went through Jersey City (Port Elizabeth) to the PC.
      02-21-2018, 01:26 AM   #6
dongerkim
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hello!

My CA managed to figured it out! Apparently it was very deep/confusing spot in the computer (what ever that means). Thanks again for your help!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 08:30 AM   #7
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435 & 2016 X5D

Quote:
Hello!

My CA managed to figured it out! Apparently it was very deep/confusing spot in the computer (what ever that means). Thanks again for your help!
You driving from South Carolina back to Seattle (or is your location here on bimmerpost incorrect)?

Just checking, because as SD //M4 Said, there is no west coast PCD (performance center delivery) at Thermal. I asked directly when I was there, and got the exact same answer that he got. "No, and no current plans at this time".

BMW is renting space at the track there from the "Thermal Club", sort of like a private golf club, but for the racetrack.

Since your location says seattle, and your dealer is not familiar with this, make sure that you understand you will not be taking delivery in california if you do PCD but in south carolina, then driving home from there, or arranging transportation for your car from there.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 10:18 AM   #8
MN2///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: very fast!

OP, ensure you get an updated Vehicle Inquiry Report (VIR) showing the ED and Alternate Ship To showing BMW Performance Center.
Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 239
Size:  30.3 KB

I did ED followed on by PCD. Great experience, but to me, the drive home from PCD after not having the car for 2-3 months waiting on shipment was the best.

6 Months later we did it again on an X5.

PCD is nothing more than a car handling familiarization, but BMW treats you right. Braking, skidpad and short autocross exercises followed by an Off-Road experience in the X5. You and a guest get to do all the exercises.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 11:16 AM   #9
dongerkim
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
You driving from South Carolina back to Seattle (or is your location here on bimmerpost incorrect)?

Just checking, because as SD //M4 Said, there is no west coast PCD (performance center delivery) at Thermal. I asked directly when I was there, and got the exact same answer that he got. "No, and no current plans at this time".

BMW is renting space at the track there from the "Thermal Club", sort of like a private golf club, but for the racetrack.

Since your location says seattle, and your dealer is not familiar with this, make sure that you understand you will not be taking delivery in california if you do PCD but in south carolina, then driving home from there, or arranging transportation for your car from there.

Yes, I plan to drive back to Seattle
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 11:23 AM   #10
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Quote:
Yes, I plan to drive back to Seattle
no problem, all the mileage is freeway miles anyway
Just bring extra 2" masking tape to cover the hood and CF roof, you are good to go
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 11:32 AM   #11
ZCPM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

I did ED and PCD (Spartanburg)last summer, and was able to coordinate participating in the M Performance Driving School while I was at PCD. The trifecta!

It was the first time my dealer had done an order like this, but we worked closely together and were able to get it all figured out. I recommend just staying in close contact with your CA, and reaching out to PCD yourself to let them know what you're wanting to do. The team at PCD is super helpful and they can help give you guidance on coordinating everything as long as they know well in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 12:31 PM   #12
dongerkim
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCPM4 View Post
I did ED and PCD (Spartanburg)last summer, and was able to coordinate participating in the M Performance Driving School while I was at PCD. The trifecta!

It was the first time my dealer had done an order like this, but we worked closely together and were able to get it all figured out. I recommend just staying in close contact with your CA, and reaching out to PCD yourself to let them know what you're wanting to do. The team at PCD is super helpful and they can help give you guidance on coordinating everything as long as they know well in advance.
This is basically what we did but he figured it out before I could help.

Do you think tape is recommended? I’ll also be in Europe for 3 months dojng ED so I assume my car will get jacked up there before t even gets stateside.

Tbh, although I am an avid detailer/OCD about my cars, I don’t mind a rock chip or two if I am behind the wheel. I really cannot stand vandalism/door dings..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 02:01 PM   #13
ZCPM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

I didn't use tape and thankfully had no issues on either leg of my trips. To try to avoid dings I always try to park in the farthest and most inconvenient spot possible in hopes that no one else will park near me. That can be tough in Europe though, since everything is so close together. But, no shame in doing several laps to find a good spot; I may have spent 45 minutes circling a parking garage Salzburg trying to find the best spot, much to my wife's frustration
Appreciate 0