proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-22-2018, 10:29 AM   #1
AustinJerry
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Black/SB w/6MT

Dinan Stage 1 ECU failing

I have been receiving occasional "Drive Train Fault" messages on my 2015 M4 with the Dinan Stage 1 ECU. Since the vehicle is still under warranty, I took it in to the BMW dealership to get it checked out. Their observation: the Dinan ECU is causing waste gate fault issues.

Dinan is no longer supported by my BMW dealership, so they gave me two options: 1) Remove the Dinan add-on at a cost to me of $300, or 2) Take the vehicle to a non-BMW repair shop that is an authorized Dinan warranty repair center. I opted for Option 2, but have not scheduled the service appointment yet. The fault messages are occasional, and BMW assured me that I am not running a risk of damaging the vehicle while I wait for an available appointment.

Are there other Dinan users who have experienced a failure with their add-ons? If yes, did Dinan honor the warranty and either fix or replaced the failed components at no charge?
      03-22-2018, 11:42 AM   #2
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

BMW doesn't support its own cock when taking piss anymore.... Nothing new. Good luck op!
      03-22-2018, 11:54 AM   #3
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I have been receiving occasional "Drive Train Fault" messages on my 2015 M4 with the Dinan Stage 1 ECU. Since the vehicle is still under warranty, I took it in to the BMW dealership to get it checked out. Their observation: the Dinan ECU is causing waste gate fault issues.

Dinan is no longer supported by my BMW dealership, so they gave me two options: 1) Remove the Dinan add-on at a cost to me of $300, or 2) Take the vehicle to a non-BMW repair shop that is an authorized Dinan warranty repair center. I opted for Option 2, but have not scheduled the service appointment yet. The fault messages are occasional, and BMW assured me that I am not running a risk of damaging the vehicle while I wait for an available appointment.

Are there other Dinan users who have experienced a failure with their add-ons? If yes, did Dinan honor the warranty and either fix or replaced the failed components at no charge?
Nothing is failure-proof, it's why warranties exist.

Dinan has been very good in handling warranties from our experience, simply contact them beforehand and have them recommend a authorized shop if your area for replacement. Typically, they will cover part replacement and labor in the event of a failure.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 11:55 AM   #4
brianplee
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

I had a CEL issue arise with my Dinan Stage 3. My Dinan dealer worked with Dinan directly and replaced the harness and updated the firmware to fully resolve the issue at no cost to me.

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 12:05 PM   #5
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

I got the same error on a 2015 M4 but stock ecu, the problem was that the electric waste gate failed and they replaced tje entire turbo under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 12:18 PM   #6
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I had the Dinan stage one piggyback on my previous 528i for a little while and had the same type of waste gate errors. After several attempts to fix the issue, including replacing the entire piggyback unit/tune and the shop corresponding directly with Dinan, I decided to just remove it and get my money back. It was a blessing in disguise since truthfully I was disappointed in the gains, or lack thereof, that the piggyback provided.

I later ended up getting the jb stage 1 piggyback which was great. Super easy to install myself and the gains were very noticeable. Never had an issue with the jb unit in thousands of miles of use.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 01:54 PM   #7
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
I had similar issues with stage 2 and later stage 3. Intermittent issues but never caused any damage. I took the car to a Dinan dealer each time and service from both the dealer and Dinan was always top notch. Got a loaner and never paid a dime. The issues always returned though so I had the harness pulled. (I was not charged for that.) BM3 + Cary Jordan is so much better...
      03-22-2018, 04:25 PM   #8
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post
I got the same error on a 2015 M4 but stock ecu, the problem was that the electric waste gate failed and they replaced tje entire turbo under warranty.
Wow, didn’t think this was an issue with the S55 motor. Good thing you got it before the warranty was up, that would have cost you big out of pocket.

Had the same stuff with my 335i N54, waste gate, injector banks, fuel pumps, etc. Hope we are not going down that road!

Last edited by shortseller; 03-22-2018 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 04:37 PM   #9
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

DINAN
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 08:30 PM   #10
NOLATom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNoob View Post
I had similar issues with stage 2 and later stage 3. Intermittent issues but never caused any damage. I took the car to a Dinan dealer each time and service from both the dealer and Dinan was always top notch. Got a loaner and never paid a dime. The issues always returned though so I had the harness pulled. (I was not charged for that.) BM3 + Cary Jordan is so much better...
Can you tell me more about the intermittent issues? I have had issues too (misfires) and my car runs like crap at 60%-70% throttle over a wide RPM range.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 10:13 PM   #11
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLATom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNoob View Post
Can you tell me more about the intermittent issues? I have had issues too (misfires) and my car runs like crap at 60%-70% throttle over a wide RPM range.
Most of the time it was CELs for plausibility errors. They would pop up every few months and never go away even if I cleared them. Pop up next time I started the car. The Dinan box would have to be reflashed (?) and they would go away for good, for a few months anyway. Car was fine with those CELs - did not affect driving.

Twice over 18 months I had wastegate issues where the car went into limp mode and sounded like cold start on steroids, not in a good way. A restart resolved it. The second time that happened I had the Dinan box pulled.

I never had any misfires or anything. Probably doesn't help you much, but that's my Dinan journey.

If it would help, I think I saved all the codes...

Edit: P112E, P12A4, P1284
      05-07-2020, 10:36 PM   #12
Radartrap
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I had a Stage 1 Dinan tuner installed in my '15 F82 by a local high-end shop. After about 7 months, I got a variety of bogus messages: drive train malfunction, retractable top misalignment, automatic parking brake failure, etc. Only gauge that worked was the speedo. Mechanic couldn't clear codes or reload software. Brought it to North Scottsdale BMW, where I bought it. Service rep found dozens more bogus codes and info on the key fob reader. First thing the shop manager asked was if I had a tuner. They removed the Dinan, and everything was restored. I returned it to Dinan, and they sent a new one the day they received it. Has been working ok since (several months). Keeping fingers crossed...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 08:57 AM   #13
AustinJerry
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Black/SB w/6MT

Update: Since my original post, the drive train failure messages would come and go until recently, when they came on every time I started the engine. The vehicle is out of warranty, and I never purchased an extended warranty. BMW ran diagnostics, and both waste gate actuators had failed and needed replacing. The repair cost me approximately $4K. As part of the work, they pulled the Dinan piggyback a no additional cost.

Just curious, what would the annual cost of an extended warranty for a 2015 M4 cost?
      05-08-2020, 09:44 AM   #14
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Update: Since my original post, the drive train failure messages would come and go until recently, when they came on every time I started the engine. The vehicle is out of warranty, and I never purchased an extended warranty. BMW ran diagnostics, and both waste gate actuators had failed and needed replacing. The repair cost me approximately $4K. As part of the work, they pulled the Dinan piggyback a no additional cost.

Just curious, what would the annual cost of an extended warranty for a 2015 M4 cost?
I'm pretty sure nothing was wrong with your vehicle or Dinan ECU, all that was a total waste.

I'm guessing you probably had the early version of the Dinantronics harness, where at the power end, there is no dedicated ground wire.

Dinan revised the harness and added a separate ground wire, instead of piggybacking ground polarity off the vehicle's ground.

I had the same exact issue and a new, revised harness, with the separate ground, solved the issue, permanently.

I circled the revised ground wire, against the earlier version without the dedicated ground plug.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 04:22 PM   #15
alpinewhitef80mthree
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 (2015)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:

I'm pretty sure nothing was wrong with your vehicle or Dinan ECU, all that was a total waste.

I'm guessing you probably had the early version of the Dinantronics harness, where at the power end, there is no dedicated ground wire.

Dinan revised the harness and added a separate ground wire, instead of piggybacking ground polarity off the vehicle's ground.

I had the same exact issue and a new, revised harness, with the separate ground, solved the issue, permanently.

I circled the revised ground wire, against the earlier version without the dedicated ground plug.
Hey guys,
The electric wastegates on my F80 won't move. I have installed brand new actuators as an initial scan pointed to them being an issue. However, even after swapping them out with brand new ones I'm stuck with these errors

123401: Electric wastegate, learning limit position, cold start: Malfunction
123402 : Electric wastegate 2 , learning limit poisition, cold start : Malfunction
123421 Electric wastegate, learning limit stop : Start position (wastegate open) not found
123422 Electric wastegate, learning limit stop : Start position (wastegate closed) not found
123424 Electric wastegate 2 , learning limit position : start position (wastegate closed)
123432 Electric wastegate , learning limit stop : stop position (wastegate closed) outside tolerance

The 724(wastegate 1) and 725(wastegate 2) flaps are stuck at 51.56%(open) and 1.17%(closed) respectively. They do not move at all

I'm running a stage 3 Mosselman tune with a Pure Stage 2 turbo setup and some cooling mods+ crankhub . The turbos seem to be fine as we have checked them manually and the linkages have been checked and have been installed as per ISTA

My car has merely done 9.3k miles and I was told this might be an ECU issue. This is really freaking me out since I haven't come across any thread/forum with a similar issue

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Attached Images

Appreciate 0