BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-28-2018, 08:11 PM   #1
MCandrews
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

BMW Performance Suspension Questions.

Hey guys I'm looking for info on the BMW PS. I did used the search bar but didn't get any of my questions answered.

1) Does this lower the car? If so, how much with a DCT?

2) Where is the best place to find this kit? I found it here but unsure if there's better places to buy

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...rear-swaybars/

Thanks for all the info guys.
      03-28-2018, 08:25 PM   #2
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

I've looked at the BMW Performance Suspension as an alternative for the M sport the car came with.

Since you have an M Sport - the springs will be about 35% stiffer than the M Sport springs and the drop will be about 10 mm. The springs are specific to the VIN (options - weight).

I'm trying to figure out whether or not to go with the BMW PS or a Bilstein B12 kit. Right now I'm leaning towards the B12.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2018, 05:21 AM   #3
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E30 325i 4-Door

The only advantage from the BMW performance kit is that you get everything, and i mean everything. New bolts, washers, mounts, bushings and even a new front sway bar with bushing and brackets as well as new rear sway bar bushings. Sadly this still not justify the cost, for me in Germany it is €1,220 with the springs excluding labour.

For that much money B14s or KW V1 + new hardware will cost the same.

When it comes to B12s, i have my eye on them, but everytime i dig up older threads, a hand full of people reported failed shocks, clunking, Bilstein sending out replacements as well as rusted components.

Now i am not say this is the case, for all i know they could be driving off road that lead to this. But from what i gathered Bilsteins (B12 and B14s) do not hold up very well, how long? depends on your driving.

I do not wish to get coilovers, due to having to adjust the height, which i am not fond of, but they are looking more attractive right now, looking at the options given.

I myself am so bombarded with so much information regarding all non coil overs, it is a bit overwhelming.

Despite what you get from the BMW Performance kit, it is really overpriced for non coil overs and you can get better (such as B12s) for half the cost.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 06:22 AM   #4
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Zombie, one thing you overlooked in your assessment of whether the BMW PS is worth the money or not is that it includes an upgraded front and rear swaybar (non-M-sport) or just front swaybar (M-Sport). That adds a few hundred dollars of value to the equation.

I was actually planning on getting the PS, but it is now unavailable, even through Turner.
Now I have to figure out another solution, but don't want coilovers either. Possibly going with Konis. That's what Dinan uses on their 135 suspension package, although they claim theirs are custom valved.

Some people love and swear by Bilsteins and some people have had problems with them, but I guess you're going to have that with any product by any manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 12:13 PM   #5
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
Zombie, one thing you overlooked in your assessment of whether the BMW PS is worth the money or not is that it includes an upgraded front and rear swaybar (non-M-sport) or just front swaybar (M-Sport). That adds a few hundred dollars of value to the equation.

I was actually planning on getting the PS, but it is now unavailable, even through Turner.
Now I have to figure out another solution, but don't want coilovers either. Possibly going with Konis. That's what Dinan uses on their 135 suspension package, although they claim theirs are custom valved.

Some people love and swear by Bilsteins and some people have had problems with them, but I guess you're going to have that with any product by any manufacturer.
I mentioned the front sway bar and bushings in my first two sentences

And yes, suspension is a very touchy subject, i myself am not sure if i should go with B12 Pro kit or the M performance or save up and go coil overs.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 12:39 PM   #6
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head View Post
Quote:

I mentioned the front sway bar and bushings in my first two sentences

And yes, suspension is a very touchy subject, i myself am not sure if i should go with B12 Pro kit or the M performance or save up and go coil overs.
Ah missed the swaybar. But that alone is worth $200-$300+.
I really wanted the BMW PS, but it's not available anymore. I added up the cost (through a third party source, now BMW) of justbthe shocks and springs from the BMW kit and they come out to about $1200. Now I agree with you that especially given that you're not getting the bushings and mounts and all the other goodies, that's too much for a shock/spring setup that's not Coilovers.
Now I am looking seriously at the BMW PS springs with Koni yellow shocks plus the M3 swaybar and front control arms.

I think the M3 RSFB or Whiteline inserts is an absolute must before any other suspension considerations (I have the inserts).
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 01:54 PM   #7
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Ah missed the swaybar. But that alone is worth $200-$300+.
I really wanted the BMW PS, but it's not available anymore. I added up the cost (through a third party source, now BMW) of justbthe shocks and springs from the BMW kit and they come out to about $1200. Now I agree with you that especially given that you're not getting the bushings and mounts and all the other goodies, that's too much for a shock/spring setup that's not Coilovers.
Now I am looking seriously at the BMW PS springs with Koni yellow shocks plus the M3 swaybar and front control arms.

I think the M3 RSFB or Whiteline inserts is an absolute must before any other suspension considerations (I have the inserts).
Yes, but again you have those that will argue and say how you get aftermarket sway bars (or even M3 ones) for less money.

It is a really tough call, since i really do not wish to mess around with either ride height nor damping. As of today, only teh B12 Pro Kit and Performance suspension offer that.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 11:58 PM   #8
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

The sway bar that comes with it is not good. The m3 sway bar or e93 m3 sway makes a nitocible improvement over the one in this kit per feedback from a user who had this kit and later upgraded the sway bar again.

Also, of a hundred threads I've read and researched about suspension on here this is the first I've seen where someone said that they had such issues with bilsteins and the above user mentioned. So I would assume such issues are very rare with bilsteins. Everything I e read from users says they are great quality and built well, and the better choice vs other options for durability in snow / salt climates.
      04-14-2018, 04:54 AM   #9
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
The sway bar that comes with it is not good. The m3 sway bar or e93 m3 sway makes a nitocible improvement over the one in this kit per feedback from a user who had this kit and later upgraded the sway bar again.

Also, of a hundred threads I've read and researched about suspension on here this is the first I've seen where someone said that they had such issues with bilsteins and the above user mentioned. So I would assume such issues are very rare with bilsteins. Everything I e read from users says they are great quality and built well, and the better choice vs other options for durability in snow / salt climates.
As i said in my previous post, when i searched the German forums a few people (not just 1-5, actually more in the number of 10+) reported clunking noises, failures and rust. However, as i also said, they never mentioned how they are driving.

I mean if you constantly drive over seriously bad pot holes, it will not matter what suspension you have, it will causes damage, and you are correct they never reported if they live/drive in snow and salty areas or not.

And i did say that the sway bars included in the performance kit, that you can go aftermarket or M3 ones and do better.

I am not trying to say anything bad about Bilsteins at all, just pointing out what i found when i was researching the B12-Pro kit myself.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 08:53 AM   #10
fast1eddy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Lemans Blue

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCandrews View Post
Hey guys I'm looking for info on the BMW PS. I did used the search bar but didn't get any of my questions answered.

1) Does this lower the car? If so, how much with a DCT?

2) Where is the best place to find this kit? I found it here but unsure if there's better places to buy

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...rear-swaybars/

Thanks for all the info guys.
The BMW P.S. lowers our cars about 10 mm. A subtle but perfect drop. Car doesn't look slammed at all. The ride and handling are very well judged for a street driven car. I bought mine used and it didn't come with the front swaybar. I later added the E93 M3 bar and that made a noticeable improvement. I'd say get it if it's stil available. It's how these cars should have came from the factory. Also do the rsbf bushing at the same time. They realy do make just as big an improvement to the car as the BMW PS. I used the Whiteline 2 piece and I'm very happy with them.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 10:29 AM   #11
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E88 and 2016 F85

Jumping in on this thread - does anyone have opinions on BMW PS on E88. Does the extra weight impact the suspension significantly ?
I'm running it on run flats and pretty much every bump in these crap New England roads is met with a loud bang.

Also, alignment.....
Having changed to the BMW PS I expect my camber is out of whack, does anyone know if the stock camber adjustment has the range needed to adjust the camber to the original parameters or will I need adjustable arms in the rear and camber plates in the front. What about rear toe adjustment ?

I'm not looking to track this, just a good DD that won't eat tires.
      05-10-2018, 12:39 PM   #12
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandinca View Post
Jumping in on this thread - does anyone have opinions on BMW PS on E88. Does the extra weight impact the suspension significantly ?
I'm running it on run flats and pretty much every bump in these crap New England roads is met with a loud bang.

Also, alignment.....
Having changed to the BMW PS I expect my camber is out of whack, does anyone know if the stock camber adjustment has the range needed to adjust the camber to the original parameters or will I need adjustable arms in the rear and camber plates in the front. What about rear toe adjustment ?

I'm not looking to track this, just a good DD that won't eat tires.
I think I've read here on the forum somewhere that the BMW Performance suspension is not recommended for the E88.