BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-25-2018, 01:54 PM   #1
nyceric03
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 35i, F15 50i, E70 4.8i

Emissions not ready.

surprised to find out my x5 50i failed the annual inspection due to the cars emissions not being ready (o2 sensor/ catalyst both failed) looking it up online it seems I need to drive it a certain way "drive cycle"? to get the sensors to be "Ready" first time I ever had a problem like this (e70 and e60 no issues) drive the f15 the same as I did the other cars. Anyone else encounter this issue? (seems to be a pain to find a stretch of road around NYC to maintain 55mph for 15 minutes with no stops/throttle adjustment) in order get the sensors ready
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 03:40 PM   #2
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15

Hmm, quite "interesting" to say the least.
I would think this would not require driver intervention to be set up properly.
I assume this is a used vehicle, since they only check emissions in NY Startin the 3rd year.
Keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 04:30 PM   #3
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

I assume you just got the car? The previous owner/seller cleared all codes; hence "not ready" - it's to avoid having smart##es clearing CEL right before taking their car to an inspection.

Just drive it for few weeks

And it didn't fail inspection, although not sure if NY treats it differently than other states.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2018, 04:42 PM   #4
MizikeTSK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 XDrive 50i MSport

A new battery will also give you the not ready error.
Appreciate 2
      05-25-2018, 09:26 PM   #5
Slickrick2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018-X5M-BLK Sapphire Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyceric03 View Post
surprised to find out my x5 50i failed the annual inspection due to the cars emissions not being ready (o2 sensor/ catalyst both failed) looking it up online it seems I need to drive it a certain way "drive cycle"? to get the sensors to be "Ready" first time I ever had a problem like this (e70 and e60 no issues) drive the f15 the same as I did the other cars. Anyone else encounter this issue? (seems to be a pain to find a stretch of road around NYC to maintain 55mph for 15 minutes with no stops/throttle adjustment) in order get the sensors ready
You are in luck. I'm in NY and this just happened to me when I purchased my 2015 X5 Msport with only 9054 miles in March. I thought the mechanic was kidding. I was shocked! Needless to say it was a pain in the ASS to get those damn sensors ready.
I had to put a lot of unnecessary miles and waisted time to try and get the car to pass. Luckily, the mechanic worked with me and the two times I brought the car in after failing inspection he put the OBD reader on it and tested the car to see if I finally got the sensors ready instead of putting it on the computer and failing again.
I was running out of time and could not get another inspection extension so I picked up my wife from work on a Friday during rush out on Madison Avenue and 53rd Street. Took about an hour and a half to get home with a little bit of highway driving and lots of stop and go through Manhattan driving locally. (This takes care of specific sensor readings) The next day I drove to my cousins house who lives upstate about an hours drive. I tried the 55 mile an hour procedure plus the long drive. I arrived at his house , had a coffee and left. That sucks! I had to leave to make it to the mechanic who was closing in an hour.
I arrived at the mechanic with 2 minutes to spare. He put the OBD reader on the car and it stated the sensors were ready. At this point he put it on the computer and it finally passed.
I was happy but pissed at the same time because of all the waisted time and some 400 waisted miles later.

Hope this helps.

By the way, I forgot to mention that after the sensors were not ready the second time I took the car to the dealership. The mechanic at BMW checked the car and stated that I needed to drive it more for the sensors to state ready.
      05-29-2018, 03:44 PM   #6
nyceric03
Private
Rep

Thanks Slickrick2, I actually got it done this Memorial day weekend onFriday Night, around midnight I manged to do approx 55 mph, for 15 miles on the LIE towards Jones Beach and got all the sensors ready and got the inspection passed Saturday morning.

Took maybe 1.5 hours from finding the right spot to getting the driving reqs done. Hated driving 55mph (not to exceed 60mph) as everyone wanted to ride my ass lol I was in the slow lane at midnight with plently of space but asshats still wanted to swerve infront of me etc sigh not looking forward to doing that again
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2018, 03:47 PM   #7
nyceric03
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by menelaos View Post
Hmm, quite "interesting" to say the least.
I would think this would not require driver intervention to be set up properly.
I assume this is a used vehicle, since they only check emissions in NY Startin the 3rd year.
Keep us posted!
Annual inspection does have an O2sensor/ Catalyst sensor requirement (i suppose its "emissions related" but no old school thing in the exhaust pipe
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 04:30 PM   #8
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15

Quote:
Annual inspection does have an O2sensor/ Catalyst sensor requirement (i suppose its "emissions related" but no old school thing in the exhaust pipe
Don't I know...lived in NY state for 13 driving years!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 07:36 PM   #9
Slickrick2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018-X5M-BLK Sapphire Edition

Quote:
Thanks Slickrick2, I actually got it done this Memorial day weekend onFriday Night, around midnight I manged to do approx 55 mph, for 15 miles on the LIE towards Jones Beach and got all the sensors ready and got the inspection passed Saturday morning.

Took maybe 1.5 hours from finding the right spot to getting the driving reqs done. Hated driving 55mph (not to exceed 60mph) as everyone wanted to ride my ass lol I was in the slow lane at midnight with plently of space but asshats still wanted to swerve infront of me etc sigh not looking forward to doing that again
Lol, tell me about it!! Sucks....