BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-04-2018, 08:33 AM   #1
sprp85
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S54/N52

Garage List
2006 E46 M3  [0.00]
2007 E91 328i  [0.00]
Symptoms of bad thrust arm / lower control arm?

Hey all,

I did search a bit to find indefinite answer on the question of "what are the symptoms of bad thrust arms and lower control arms"

Recently my car developed this odd clunking noise at low speed. It is definitely coming from front of the car whenever I go over a small imperfections on the road, say, joints in parking garages and short, sharp bumps.

Before this odd noise developed, B12 kit along with all brand new hardwares were installed. Since the install (8k miles), it has been dead quite until recently.

When this knocking occurs, I can actually feel it on the pedal and what not, a gentle thud.

So I did check up on end links that were replaced a few months ago and they were on tight with no plays.

So my next target to check out was front control arms. I did not see visible leakage when I checked on it but it does twist with moderate force.

Given that the arms have 108k miles on them....

I do have a set of M3 arms sitting and waiting but wanted to go over what is really causing this issue at the moment, thus I can get it fixed while I do the arms.

So in short, do bad arms cause physically feel-able knock/thud along with audible knocking?

Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 09:07 AM   #2
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
When mine were gone/going (probably still original at 160k miles) I noticed a juddering and shimmy from the front end at highway speeds, and it would clunk and thud going over man hole covers and large cracks on my neighborhood's streets. Upgraded to M ones, and it rode more solidly and quietly, also, the steering response was better and it handled a little more "completely."
sprp8596.00
      06-04-2018, 03:04 PM   #3
sprp85
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S54/N52

Garage List
2006 E46 M3  [0.00]
2007 E91 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
When mine were gone/going (probably still original at 160k miles) I noticed a juddering and shimmy from the front end at highway speeds, and it would clunk and thud going over man hole covers and large cracks on my neighborhood's streets. Upgraded to M ones, and it rode more solidly and quietly, also, the steering response was better and it handled a little more "completely."
Thanks for the response.

I kind of started to feel sloppy-ness on highways.

So hopefully replacing the arms would do the trick
Appreciate 1