BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-13-2018, 07:21 PM   #1
1more1
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT EB

Handbrake rolls before stopping?

When I engage my handbrake (parking brake) the car will roll back an inch before stopping. It feels like you're putting an automatic car in park without the handbrake.

Has anyone experienced this? It still holds well even on steep hills. It does squeak getting in and out of the car only when the handbrake is on. Could be related?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 07:49 PM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1more1 View Post
It does squeak getting in and out of the car only when the handbrake is on. Could be related?
Mine squeaks too, I have always assumed one side was probably not fully expanding and making contact w/ the inside of the drum. Like maybe the self-adjuster isn't working. This would almost certainly change how effective it is. Or even if it is making contact, perhaps there's that much flexing of componentry inside which would give a feeling to it rolling back until the slack was taken up? I doubt it all moves that much but I have been surprised before.

I've planned for years to get into it and see what's up but I've never not been able to have the brake work (and I leave it in gear as well) and so I haven't quite gotten to it. Having a kid seems to not have helped.

An exploded diagram might be a good start, fuel some ideas.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 08:46 PM   #3
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1more1 View Post
It does squeak getting in and out of the car only when the handbrake is on. Could be related?
Mine squeaks too, I have always assumed one side was probably not fully expanding and making contact w/ the inside of the drum. Like maybe the self-adjuster isn't working. This would almost certainly change how effective it is. Or even if it is making contact, perhaps there's that much flexing of componentry inside which would give a feeling to it rolling back until the slack was taken up? I doubt it all moves that much but I have been surprised before.

I've planned for years to get into it and see what's up but I've never not been able to have the brake work (and I leave it in gear as well) and so I haven't quite gotten to it. Having a kid seems to not have helped.

An exploded diagram might be a good start, fuel some ideas.
All of this is completely normal. If you want to get rid of the squeak, you need to put some moly paste between the shoes and the backing plate where they touch. Will get around to doing it on my own car one of these days.
Appreciate 0