Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

08-29-2018, 07:42 PM   #1
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Please, Delete

The good people at Apex came through, took care of my issue! You can tell a lot about a company based on how they act when a customer has an issue!

Great customer service!

Thanks

Last edited by The Choosey begger; 08-30-2018 at 01:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 08:02 PM   #2
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
ummmm, that's not good. even if you jumped a few curbs that should not happen. let us know how this ends up.

Edit: Front or rear, btw? just the one?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 08:40 PM   #3
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
ummmm, that's not good. even if you jumped a few curbs that should not happen. let us know how this ends up.

Edit: Front or rear, btw? just the one?
Just the one, rear. Never jumped curbs. Lol
The wheel in question is not bent or curbed.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 11:03 PM   #4
Eddy@ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E30 M3, F10 M5

Anglo,

I'm sorry to hear you experienced a cracked inner lip, and may not have received a timely response. We take both matters very seriously.

If you are the original purchaser of those wheels (which I believe you are) and there is no obvious sign of an impact (which it doesn't look like there is), then your wheel is absolutely warrantable and we'd be happy to take care of this. I will send you a PM to get your details so we can get you taken care of right away.

I just spotted this post after normal business hours and followed up by calling our Sales manager Ryan as well as our BMW Manager Matt to find out how it's possible a call and email could have gone unresponded to. We use a CRM system that creates a customer service ticket out of every single email, form submission, forum PM, and voicemail. We couldn't find a single ticket that wasn't responded to in the past few weeks regarding a warranty. Our average response time for tickets including delays caused by the weekend is under 10 hours. Since I'm not sure on your details, it's possible our response went to spam, as the email address they are sent from is the CRM system's email address. Many people call and don't leave voicemails if we're busy, and those are hard for us to follow up on. From researching this situation, we did spot an opportunity to improve what we will do when we don't hear back from someone after responding to their inquiry.

Your advice to inspect wheels is very good. Inspecting wheels is something everyone should be doing regardless of what wheels they own. This includes both OEM and aftermarket wheels. Aluminum ages as it's cycled and there are so many variables that affect how much stress they experience throughout their life. Even without potholes and track curbing, a wheel can eventually age out. Inspections are crucial for catching problems when they're still small. Unfortunately, all wheels available for our cars can form an inner lip crack. I've seen it often on OEM wheels that are only a few months old and I've seen it on all sorts of premium wheels like FI's.

We recommend inspecting wheels any time you're working with them, like when you're doing a swap at the track or when you're having a tire change done. Everyone should check the inner lip for cracks that could cause air to leak and also the spokes for cracks. They can form between two lug holes, across a spoke itself, or from where two spokes meet the hub. It's important to keep wheels clean as brake dust is great at masking problems.

In 10+ years I don't think I've ever seen a spoke cracked on one of our wheels if you exclude wheels that were mangled from serious car accidents or serious off-track excursions that damaged other parts of the car too. People often downplay their serious off-track incidents because they had no contact with a wall. They don't consider just how intense that off really was on their wheels, suspension, and chassis. Any time I have an off I'll come back in and do a thorough inspection of my brake lines, wheels, and anything else that could have been injured. This thread should serve as a reminder to be vigilant about wheel inspection.

Extra note: We do NOT recommend repairing wheels. Welding cracks or straightening bends is super sketch. You should see the weld that was done on my friend's FI's. Yikes. Like wheel mounting hardware, wheels are a wear item and should be replaced not repaired. Aluminum wheels should not be treated as a lifetime item even if they were $10k and driven just on the street. We know it sucks to replace expensive stuff. For that reason, we've been unofficially offering a discounted replacement program for about 5 years now. Basically, when a wheel is damaged in a non-warrantable way, we'll provide a 50% discount on a replacement to the original owner. The goal is to give people a much safer option than performing a questionable repair by making a new replacement available for about the same price. We've honored this on curb rash, bends, and even obvious car accident damage. We're not out to make money off your troubles. It doesn't happen often, so if we can keep questionably repaired wheels out of circulation and off of craigslist, then we can sleep better at night.

PM coming your way.

-Eddy Pintacsi
CEO

Last edited by Eddy@ApexWheels; 08-29-2018 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: I forgot to sign my name.
Appreciate 3
      08-29-2018, 11:38 PM   #5
Eddy@ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E30 M3, F10 M5

Got your PM response and details. Thanks!

We received your original form submission on August 16th and Joe from customer service responded on the 17th. It sounds like maybe a spam filter problem.

You should hear from Ryan tonight and we'll get you squared away tomorrow.

Thanks again for bringing this to my attention.

-Eddy Pintacsi
CEO
      08-30-2018, 12:55 AM   #6
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep

This is my second set of Apex Wheels and first issue.
I can't Thank-you enough for the great support!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 06:34 AM   #7
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
Well, that's certainly good news from Apex! Great post as well.
Appreciate 1