Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

10-10-2018, 11:51 AM   #1
manticor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 built july 1...........

Most concavity???

Looking to buy a set of flush 19" wheels for the f80 and would like to know which are most concave? Forged one piece only, none of that fake forged shit lol. Thanks in advanced for the help.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 11:55 AM   #2
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

It's your lucky day!

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1527427
Appreciate 1
manticor133.00
      10-10-2018, 11:58 AM   #3
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
I don’t know if they are the *most* concave, but I love my Titan 7 T-S5s and they are pretty darn concave. Virtually no lip at all, and they sit nice and flush with no spacers.
      10-10-2018, 12:26 PM   #4
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Titan 7 wheels are nice, however, they're not JWL/VIA or TUV certified. They use JWL and TUV standards for testing, but their tests are done in-house instead of 3rd party (VIA) -- this could lead to failed test results that are overlooked and ignored, and the consumer will never know...

To be fair, a lot of boutique forged wheels pimped by certain vendors do not carry any certifications, not just Titan 7.

Why wheel certification is important:

Appreciate 1
manticor133.00
      10-11-2018, 03:08 PM   #5
chetman7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
Titan 7 wheels are nice, however, they're not JWL/VIA or TUV certified. They use JWL and TUV standards for testing, but their tests are done in-house instead of 3rd party (VIA) -- this could lead to failed test results that are overlooked and ignored, and the consumer will never know...

To be fair, a lot of boutique forged wheels pimped by certain vendors do not carry any certifications, not just Titan 7.

Why wheel certification is important:

Never knew about the certifications...is there a website that lists manufactures that are certified as I'm assuming most companies wont advertise they are not certified.

So..with that in mind...what would be a better wheel... a forge wheel without certs or a flowform/rotary forge wheel that is JWL,TUV/via cert?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 03:11 PM   #6
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
I don’t really think it’s fair to compare Titan 7 to some cheap knock off wheel as depicted in the video. They are a local company and come with a lifetime structural warranty. They are true forged wheels (not flow forged) made for track use. I’m certainly not going to lose any sleep over the certification.
      10-11-2018, 03:51 PM   #7
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetman7 View Post
Never knew about the certifications...is there a website that lists manufactures that are certified as I'm assuming most companies wont advertise they are not certified.

So..with that in mind...what would be a better wheel... a forge wheel without certs or a flowform/rotary forge wheel that is JWL,TUV/via cert?
For TUV:
https://www.tuv-sud-america.com/us-e...ificate-finder or inquire directly with vendor/manufacturer.

For JWL/VIA, you'll need to inquire directly, or ask the vendor/manufacturer for proof of certification:
https://www.jwtc.jp/open/html/e/cnt.html

JWL/VIA certified wheels also bear the marks on each wheel, but these marks have been known to be easily imitated, so you definitely have to do a little bit of homework to verify the authenticity of the certification.

Between Titan 7 (uncertified forged) versus something like Apex (certified dual-flow formed), I would undoubtedly pick Apex, especially for track duty where standard load ratings are easily exceeded.

Besides electing to forego wheel certification to save overhead cost, there's a reason why uncertified forged wheels are much cheaper than certified ones... if both were priced the same, which one would you choose?

Here's a classic example of an uncertified forged wheel failure:

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596363
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 04:56 PM   #8
HRE_Wheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
For TUV:
https://www.tuv-sud-america.com/us-e...ificate-finder or inquire directly with vendor/manufacturer.
HRE Performance Wheels is TUV approved. We go into detail about why TUV and certifications like this are very important here if you're interested in some more information about the subject - HRE EXPLAINS: WHAT IS TUV?

Plenty of options if you want concavity/deep conical profiles too. Here are a few examples (I'll restrain myself and only post up a few):

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 05:03 PM   #9
chetman7
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRE_Wheels View Post
HRE Performance Wheels is TUV approved. We go into detail about why TUV and certifications like this are very important here if you're interested in some more information about the subject - HRE EXPLAINS: WHAT IS TUV?

This also applies to the flow forged line as well correct?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 05:25 PM   #10
HRE_Wheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetman7 View Post
This also applies to the flow forged line as well correct?
Correct, the FlowForm wheels (all three styles) are TUV certified. Just didn't mention those since Forged wheels we typically get deeper conical profiles, though the FF04 could give a lot of other Forged wheel companies a run for it's money at a really low price point.

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 06:16 PM   #11
chetman7
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRE_Wheels View Post
Correct, the FlowForm wheels (all three styles) are TUV certified. Just didn't mention those since Forged wheels we typically get deeper conical profiles, though the FF04 could give a lot of other Forged wheel companies a run for it's money at a really low price point.

Good to know...I have a set of FF04 arriving tomorrow. Looks like I made a good choice
Appreciate 1
HRE_Wheels2118.00
      10-13-2018, 03:46 AM   #12
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by manticor View Post
Looking to buy a set of flush 19" wheels for the f80 and would like to know which are most concave? Forged one piece only, none of that fake forged shit lol. Thanks in advanced for the help.
Let me know if you need specc'ing a set of HRE wheels

I typically run the most concave and aggressive fitments, 19x10 fronts | 19x12 rears:

classics4 by Justin Shih, on Flickr

jsb9 by Justin Shih, on Flickr

a2 by Justin Shih, on Flickr

Appreciate 0