BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-22-2018, 08:52 AM   #1
dont_Mistak3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW/SO M3

Hi all,

I picked up my first M car almost 2 months ago (2018 F80 M3) and I am loving every single second of driving it.

When I went to get the car I was originally going to see a MGM/SO ZCP I had seen online turns out when I got there it did not have the exec package.

They told me they had another M3 that had just arrived and wasn't even at the dealer yet so they drove me to go see it. This one was AW/SO with exec plus CF rear lip. It was love at first sight and the black 437s, CF lip, and black kidney grills sold me.

I love the exec package...the icon adaptive LEDs and HUD alone make the whole package worth it imo.....but I'm having second thoughts on if I should have opted for ZCP without the exec package.

Ultimately I'm happy with my choice, but it's been on my mind whether I made the smart choice. Both cars would have cost the same.

Did I make the right choice opting for exec over zcp for a daily M3? The sports exhaust and slighlty better performance is my biggest regret of missing out on. But it does give me comfort knowing I have 19s vs 20s so winter driving won't be much of an issue here in NJ with snow tires on the 437s.

So just for fun at this point...what would you choose if you only could pick 1 on your daily: ZCP or Exec?

Last edited by dont_Mistak3; 10-22-2018 at 09:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 09:08 AM   #2
nickl630
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3CS, 09 GTR

Exec. Things like the HUD, cameras, lights while in theroy can be added later are super expensive to do so. It just makes the car nicer to drive.

You can add a JB4 and boom... Faster than a ZCP. Only thing I'd miss is the seatbelts.

I think you made the right choice. Just my opinion though
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2018, 10:31 AM   #3
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

If I had to pick one it would've been ZCP over the exec. But, I love/have both so I'm glad I didn't have to choose between the two. As people say these cars aren't cheap and I didn't want to regret not getting anything. I've made that mistake before and it always ends up costing me more in the long run than just getting whatever I wanted to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 10:34 AM   #4
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
I'd rather have ZCP. I could live without most of the stuff in Exec Pack. I've never used the Parking Assistant or heated steering wheel. I wear polarized sunglasses so can't see HUD and the digital tachometer isn't that useful. Can't see the icon headlights while I'm driving. Auto highbeams rarely turn on since I live in a big city. PDC and top view cameras are the only truly useful features of Exec Pack.
This is always interesting to me. I have Maui Jims and I can see the HUD. Granted it is dimmer when I'm wearing the sunglasses, but with it turned all the way up I can see it. I love being able to go through my song list on it or having the nav directions up there. Being in MN, I use my heated steering wheel a lot and have been already quite a bit the last couple of weeks in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 11:15 AM   #5
elinstylez
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

The 2018 models already have many of the zec standard such as backup camera and comfort access - two mandatory things I'm looking for in a 2015-17 model. I didn't end up buying the car but I had custom ordered an '18 with zcp, no zec.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 11:18 AM   #6
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Both are good options and should have and dont waste time thinking over it, its too late now and enjoy the car.
      10-22-2018, 11:18 AM   #7
maniz
Assistant TO the Regional Manager
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Coupe

I ordered mine to spec last year so was able to ponder over the Competition Pack in great detail. In my case, however, it wasn't an option between that and Exec, it was whether to get comp in addition to exec. I was going to get the latter no matter what because I couldn't bear buying an LCI model that didn't include the most visually-distinctive LCI upgrade; the Icon headlights.

For comp., I made a spreadsheet and listed each comp. pack feature individually (I am weird like that), then rated it based on my preference. While the exhaust and black accents went in its favor, the wheels, identical-to-base spring height, and $:benefit went deep into the negative category, and seats/belts/hp went in neither direction. So not ordering it became a very easy choice for me.

I love the black accents on all light-colored cars regardless of brand, and ordered my M4 in SSM in part due to the contrast between the paint and trim+CF components. So I had the OEM black trim pieces from IND waiting in advance of the car's arrival and spent the morning after delivery making the swap in my garage. I similarly upgraded the suspension to MPHAS to get the ride height I preferred while stiffening the springs to what is apparently the same rate as in the comp. pack.

These questions are always polarizing and automatically cause responses based on what someone owns. But I am sure you knew that. I can see why someone else would go in the opposite direction of my rationale. That is perfectly okay since they are not me. Or you. So you cannot expect any of us to justify your choice. Only you know whether your buyer's remorse is temporary or likely to become permanent. If the latter, you might as well make the switch now and reduce your losses as much as they can be.

Der stärkste buchstabe der welt

Last edited by maniz; 10-22-2018 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 12:11 PM   #8
Jewson
Rep
Drives: 1991 Acura NSX '18 YMB F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
I'd rather have ZCP. I could live without most of the stuff in Exec Pack. I've never used the Parking Assistant or heated steering wheel. I wear polarized sunglasses so can't see HUD and the digital tachometer isn't that useful. Can't see the icon headlights while I'm driving. Auto highbeams rarely turn on since I live in a big city. PDC and top view cameras are the only truly useful features of Exec Pack.
I thought the auto highbeams were a non-US thing only. I have the Icon adaptive (and I didn't even get the executive package) and they do rotate and what not but the high beams seem to remain on high regardless of oncoming traffic.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 12:18 PM   #9
omega2733
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 MGM

Auto highbeams are definitely a thing in the U.S. anti-dazzle however is decoded on arrival to the US and can be re-coded.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 12:57 PM   #10
joegie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP 6MT

i opted for both when shopping for my f80, my logic:

zcp: wanted the seats and more hp stock, still undecided if i want to tune it or not, 666's have grown on me, wasn't sold at first but they're not bad for stock wheels. black grilles & markers means more money for other mods lol.

executive package: mainly wanted it for the lci headlights, HUD is nice since i had it in my last audi, heated steering is gone since i replaced it with a cf steering wheel.

if i could have ordered the car i wanted i probably would order the same car but opted for carbon structure instead of the leather or maybe if i was feeling bold went daytona violet instead of alpine white. but other than that no regrets on the car itself, it's a blast to drive. akrapovic catback with the stock burbles is crazy loud lol.
      10-22-2018, 01:15 PM   #11
dont_Mistak3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the opinions everyone! Keep em coming it's interesting to see the different responses.

Ultimately I am happy with exec over zcp my biggest concern is the exhaust, but that'll be fixed once I upgrade it to MPE or AWE. Not too concerned about the seats/seatbelts. I defienitely think the LCI headlights transform the look of the car and I could stare at them all day lol.

Would have loved to get both ZCP and Exec but none were in stock and I knew the GM at the dealer and knew I wouldn't get the same deal anywhere else. Can't complain at all actually got an amazing deal that made me give up my M2C allocation I had from another dealer.

At the end of the day I'm just thankful for being able to drive this beast and call it mine.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 01:44 PM   #12
RobbyMack
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 Sakhir

You can go mad pondering the what if's. Enjoy what you have. Personally I wouldn't opt for ZCP even if had been been available when I ordered, my kids punching me in the kidneys through those silly seat holes would not be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 01:47 PM   #13
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I'm always puzzled by these threads where people agonize over their choices at the dealer, always having to compromise based on what the dealer has in stock.

Why not plan ahead a little and order it exactly how you want it, so you can have both ZCP and the Exec. Package? Or the exact color and interior that you want?

My wife and I planned to do Euro Delivery on her 2018 M3 ZCP and that planning began early last year. My wife wanted to do an Individual color and we initially spoke to our dealer in May last year. He told us to come and see him in the fall. We placed the order last November. An allocation was received in February and we began planning our trip. We took delivery of her M3 ZCP in Individual San Marino Blue with Individual Polar Blue contrasting stitching on Full Black Merino Leather, Executive Package, and every other option except the CC brakes on July 18 and redelivery happened on September 28. She has exactly what wanted and all it took was planning ahead and some patience.

Do people actually decide that they have to have a car tomorrow and go to their dealer and take whatever they have? Is it because no one has any patience or any ability to plan ahead? I don't really understand this.

Appreciate 1
      10-22-2018, 02:05 PM   #14
dont_Mistak3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
I'm always puzzled by these threads where people agonize over their choices at the dealer, always having to compromise based on what the dealer has in stock.

Why not plan ahead a little and order it exactly how you want it, so you can have both ZCP and the Exec. Package? Or the exact color and interior that you want?

My wife and I planned to do Euro Delivery on her 2018 M3 ZCP and that planning began early last year. My wife wanted to do an Individual color and we initially spoke to our dealer in May last year. He told us to come and see him in the fall. We placed the order last November. An allocation was received in February and we began planning our trip. We took delivery of her M3 ZCP in Individual San Marino Blue with Individual Polar Blue contrasting stitching on Full Black Merino Leather, Executive Package, and every other option except the CC brakes on July 18 and redelivery happened on September 28. She has exactly what wanted and all it took was planning ahead and some patience.

Do people actually decide that they have to have a car tomorrow and go to their dealer and take whatever they have? Is it because no one has any patience or any ability to plan ahead? I don't really understand this.

In my case I was not prepared becuase as I stated above I actually ordered a M2C to my specs from another dealer back in July and was gonna take delivery in November. Deep down I knew I wanted a M3 since I was coming from a 3 series and the M3 was the whole reason I got into BMW M in the first place. I happened to be looking up M3s near me and found out my family knew the GM at this other dealer so I walked in and after some negotiating ended up getting 8K off MSRP PLUS 2.5K to finish paying off my then-current lease. This deal caught me off guard so I didn't really have much time to think about it. Got a M3 for almost 5K more than a M2C, that was a no brainer for me..I knew I couldn't be picky with colors/options at that point.

I'm 22 and drive a M3 - can't complain one bit. I'm just curious to see what the "popular" choice would have been.. though it doesn't really matter at this point.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 02:29 PM   #15
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
If I had to pick one it would've been ZCP over the exec. But, I love/have both so I'm glad I didn't have to choose between the two. As people say these cars aren't cheap and I didn't want to regret not getting anything. I've made that mistake before and it always ends up costing me more in the long run than just getting whatever I wanted to begin with.
Strongly Agreed. I didn’t go all in on my 2015 with what I thought I would love to have but did on my 2018, it went from a sporty car to a sport sedan. Nothing wrong with a basic stripper but add in the extras and it became my fully realized dream car. It’s my mini M5!

OP, If you think you want it and can afford more add ons do so. Typically options won’t bring much back at resell time but they will put you ahead of other less optioned models. That and its so much nicer to enjoy the goodies BMW offers, keeps the car from just a one dimensional feel.
      10-22-2018, 03:32 PM   #16
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:

Agree with u completely and in my case i got the exact car i wanted except SO interior and settled for black, i could have ordered the car with SO interior but didnt want to pass off the extra bucks which dealer was giving me because car was in their lot.
      10-22-2018, 04:33 PM   #17
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm always puzzled by these threads where people agonize over their choices at the dealer, always having to compromise based on what the dealer has in stock....

Not everyone can wait 3 months for a car order or take 3 weeks off and go to Europe for delivery pick up. I’m guessing you can’t understand it because you’re in the minority of those buying a car in this country. Don’t take my comments wrong, you’re fortunate to be able to do it the way you do but do understand others may not be as lucky.

Last edited by shortseller; 10-22-2018 at 04:58 PM..
Appreciate 2
minn1914037.50
khanyam4801.50
      10-22-2018, 05:59 PM   #18
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I had a 2015 F82 (exec but no ZCP at that time) and now have a 2018 F83 exec and ZCP. If I had to choose only one I’d get the exec, especially if it was in an F80 or F82 and my primary concern was daily driving. I wasn’t crazy about the non-ZCP seats in my 2015 and didn’t have the appetite for losing adjustable lumbar support the ZCP seats. But as others indicated, I’d ultimately just make sure I bought what I wanted, whether it was either one or both options. That can be accomplished by searching around or ordering.

I also bought some non polarized sunglasses for the HUD and that solved that issue very simply.
Jlpvt0.00
      10-22-2018, 06:46 PM   #19
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Performance>Tech (fluff) any day for me. P.S. Enjoy the car, it's no lesser an auto
Appreciate 1
IB M2782.00
      10-22-2018, 06:47 PM   #20
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
Agree with u completely and in my case i got the exact car i wanted except SO interior and settled for black, i could have ordered the car with SO interior but didnt want to pass off the extra bucks which dealer was giving me because car was in their lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Not everyone can wait 3 months for a car order or take 3 weeks off and go to Europe for delivery pick up. I’m guessing you can’t understand it because you’re in the minority of those buying a car in this country. Don’t take my comments wrong, you’re fortunate to be able to do it the way you do but do understand others may not be as lucky.
In my case every time I go to order a car etc they give me the perverbial deal I can’t pass up. My last two M cars (previous M4) and current M3 I’ve gotten over 12k off of MSRP. This last deal I got that and some goodies on top of it. The only thing I wish my current car had was full leather. I’ve had to compromise on interior/exterior colors and in this case no full leather. But, nothing that was even close to being a deal breaker. In the end it didn’t make sense or wasn’t important enough to me to pass up these deals and order a car specific to my spec. That being said I’d love to do Euro delivery someday. When my luck runs out on deals that make sense, I’ll do it then.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2018, 08:15 PM   #21
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
It doesn't have to be a Euro Delivery and you don't need to take any time off to order a car for dealer delivery. And all it takes is planning ahead. Unless your car just got totaled, or completely died and is not able to be repaired, I fail to understand why people can't just plan ahead when they're going to replace their car. People who lease have to do this roughly every 3 years anyway. Why not plan ahead and be able get what you want? You don't have to be particularly fortunate or lucky, just patient. If this is just a need for immediate gratification, they you deserve what you get.

Appreciate 1
      10-22-2018, 10:21 PM   #22
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It doesn't have to be a Euro Delivery and you don't need to take any time off to order a car for dealer delivery. And all it takes is planning ahead. Unless your car just got totaled, or completely died and is not able to be repaired, I fail to understand why people can't just plan ahead when they're going to replace their car. People who lease have to do this roughly every 3 years anyway. Why not plan ahead and be able get what you want? You don't have to be particularly fortunate or lucky, just patient. If this is just a need for immediate gratification, they you deserve what you get.
I think you’re looking at it to black & white...I don’t think we are talking about waking up on Saturday and driving the car home on Sunday though it can happen if one finds exactly what they want. We are all wired differently, some can order and wait some can’t. I’ve done both after ordering my last three, to my ‘18 CP I found on the lot loaded and had the color, Azurite Balck, that I really wanted. That along with a very healthy discount (last year of F80 production), and a great trade in for my 2015 was a no brain’er for me this time around. It didn’t take much planning, it just fell into place. And frankly, not waiting and tracking my car over the months was an instantly gratifying and enjoyable experience. Nothing wrong with your experience as well.