Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

07-09-2018, 07:57 PM   #1
vasi_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ex- 2015 M3... now '16 M3 ZCP

Checked out a GTS

I've been reading this thread and was curious to try out an M4 GTS so I drove one today at my local deal, very low mileage. I currently own an F80 Competition and here are my impressions of the very little time I had with the car:
- Loud exhaust (I mean LOUD)
- Suspension was very compliant on the street (Impressive)
- Great stopping power!
- Car felt lighter than my M3 and the engine felt effortless (more torque)
- Steering was not noticeably better if at all

Overall I walked away more informed about the GTS but the car did not feel as special as I would have hoped, but as a package everything felt really nicely calibrated (suspension, engine, gearbox)
In the end to me it is not a compelling buy even at the sub $90K as advertised . I wish I had some track time with it to really get to know it and who knows maybe one day I may regret passing it up. I still have my eyes on a 911 GT3 which I hope to own one day, just waiting for those prices to climb down from cloud 9.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 09:56 PM   #2
RandyC54
Salty Middle Aged Dog
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasi_M3 View Post
I've been reading this thread and was curious to try out an M4 GTS so I drove one today at my local deal, very low mileage. I currently own an F80 Competition and here are my impressions of the very little time I had with the car:
- Great stopping power!

Overall I walked away more informed about the GTS but the car did not feel as special as I would have hoped, but as a package everything felt really nicely calibrated (suspension, engine, gearbox)
In the end to me it is not a compelling buy even at the sub $90K as advertised . I wish I had some track time with it to really get to know it and who knows maybe one day I may regret passing it up. I still have my eyes on a 911 GT3 which I hope to own one day, just waiting for those prices to climb down from cloud 9.
The GTS is a great street car, but it shows up for real on the track. You would leave a GT3 test ride on the street with pretty much this exact same review.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 11:26 PM   #3
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasi_M3 View Post
- Great stopping power!

I'm surprised you found the suspension very compliant. I love my car but that's about the last thing I would say about it
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 09:40 AM   #4
vasi_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ex- 2015 M3... now '16 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
I'm surprised you found the suspension very compliant. I love my car but that's about the last thing I would say about it
...and I have a skinny a$$ too ...lol

Actually I am used to driving Lancer Evolutions in the past and the GTS suspension was a treat on the street but it felt noticeably stiffer than my M3 ZCP though...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 10:24 AM   #5
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
How do you have the damping adjusted? My one test drive of an M4 GTS left me VERY impressed with the suspension's compliance as well and I drove it on some extremely rough roads.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 11:21 AM   #6
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyC54 View Post
The GTS is a great street car, but it shows up for real on the track. You would leave a GT3 test ride on the street with pretty much this exact same review.
Disagree. Having driven the GT3, GT3RS, and GTS all on the street, the 2 Porsche are far more entertaining, engaging, thrilling, and special feeling. Imo, of course.
Appreciate 1
vasi_M3115.50
      07-17-2018, 04:42 PM   #7
BMW9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 / Nissan GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
Quote:
Disagree. Having driven the GT3, GT3RS, and GTS all on the street, the 2 Porsche are far more entertaining, engaging, thrilling, and special feeling. Imo, of course.
You must have been driving pretty hard because the GT3 is tame and quiet below 4-5k. Of course it screams after that in a way the GTS cannot reproduce. The GTS is very loud, popping and sharp even at 3k. It reminds you that you are in a special car all the time. The GT3 Porsches comes alive when you rev and drive them hard.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 04:59 PM   #8
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW9 View Post
You must have been driving pretty hard because the GT3 is tame and quiet below 4-5k. Of course it screams after that in a way the GTS cannot reproduce. The GTS is very loud, popping and sharp even at 3k. It reminds you that you are in a special car all the time. The GT3 Porsches comes alive when you rev and drive them hard.
I heard they this was addressed in the 991.2, but the .1 didn't feel like it had any power below 4K RPM. After that though, it pulled really well all the way to 9K.
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 05:50 AM   #9
BMW9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
Quote:
I heard they this was addressed in the 991.2, but the .1 didn't feel like it had any power below 4K RPM. After that though, it pulled really well all the way to 9K.
Yes it has improved in the .2 but still it's not that much better below 4-5k. I know because I was driving my friends GT3.2 during its break in period so we had to keep it below 4K. It's actually frustrating because I know what is to come with more revs. But driving my car during its break in period was not so frustrating, I still enjoyed it because of the beautiful exhaust and power band. I also drove a .2 at the Porsche experience center, it is a beast when you get to drive it like it's meant to be, it puts all the power down to the ground with no drama. Over all a better car than the GTS.

Back to the topic, I'm glad that so many people didn't like the GTS enough to buy it.......It's too stiff, it's too hard core, it has no back seat...etc. This car is very special and perfect for me. So a big thank you to all the people who passed on this car.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2018, 11:41 PM   #10
RandyC54
Salty Middle Aged Dog
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Quote:
This car is very special and perfect for me. So a big thank you to all the people who passed on this car.
You have to appreciate the engineering work that went in to the GTS to fully get it. No, it's not a typical M4 with a few bolt ons. It's special to drive it, and really is a marvel if you are into an experience. On track, it's able to keep up with a GT3 at a lot of places, too. I'm disappointed that it's gotten the reputation it has, but Pat saved a bundle on his, so he's a winner on this front.
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2018, 01:55 AM   #11
BMW9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
This car is very special and perfect for me. So a big thank you to all the people who passed on this car.
You have to appreciate the engineering work that went in to the GTS to fully get it. No, it's not a typical M4 with a few bolt ons. It's special to drive it, and really is a marvel if you are into an experience. On track, it's able to keep up with a GT3 at a lot of places, too. I'm disappointed that it's gotten the reputation it has, but Pat saved a bundle on his, so he's a winner on this front.
Yes now that I've owned one past the dealer test drive, I totally agree.....it takes a few hundred miles of ownership to appreciate it at any price. Can't wait to take it to the track.
Say hello to Pat for me. (No I don't know him) LOL.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 08:07 PM   #12
TeamErc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4, 2018 X35d

Garage List
Just replaced my M4 comp with a low mile GTS. It's like getting a brand new M4 with much more for a similar price on a new model. Win win.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 10:27 PM   #13
Osiris
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
2011 1M  [10.00]
2016 M4 GTS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamErc View Post
Just replaced my M4 comp with a low mile GTS. It's like getting a brand new M4 with much more for a similar price on a new model. Win win.
Congrats. Looks like DC area is getting more. Hope to see you on the road sometime. What color?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 06:38 AM   #14
TeamErc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4, 2018 X35d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamErc View Post
Congrats. Looks like DC area is getting more. Hope to see you on the road sometime. What color?
Sorry, I meant to post this as a response to vasi_M3's post. He commented on test driving a gts comparing against his current m4. I just wanted to share I also had a m4 comp and sold to get a low mile gts about a month ago. So I have a month under my belt to compare in case he was interested in hearing more. I posted on this thread about a month ago when I got mine so don't count this as another recent Balt/D.C. acquisition.
Appreciate 0