proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

11-21-2018, 10:20 PM   #1
SOLIDM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: FAST M4

NYC/NJ Winter Tires SETUP

Question.

Best All season tires recommendations, this might have been answered before, if yes please point it out.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 10:37 PM   #2
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Depends on what size you're looking..

Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 (Winters)
Continental DWS06 (Ultra High Perf All-Season)
Michelin AS 3+ (Competitor to DWS06)

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 06:19 AM   #3
instarand
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLIDM4 View Post
Question.

Best All season tires recommendations, this might have been answered before, if yes please point it out.

Thanks.
Consider winter tires, not all seasons. Especially in the north east.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 07:55 PM   #4
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by instarand View Post
Quote:
Question.

Thanks.
First drive tonight on icy roads after Chicago snowstorm on Continental Winter Contact TS830P Run-Flat version - definitely handled nice and seems like an improvement over the non-run flat version I had of the same tire the previous 4 seasons...

For a winter performance tire (rather than an all-out snow and ice tire) I'm pretty happy so far... further reviews in deeper snow to follow (roads pretty well plowed by time I took it out - but did well on snow covered side streets and parking lots FWIW).
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 10:18 PM   #5
bonsta101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5M Comp.

Just got the pirelli sottozero for my competition wheels. 295/30/20 rear and 265/30/20 front.

Thanks to the recommendation of a forum member here. So far I've had one snow fall and the tires work great. Feel very safe and confident in them. Ride is not too harsh either.

Will post pics and videos soon.
Appreciate 2
instarand208.50
sashah60112.00
      11-30-2018, 09:00 AM   #6
SOLIDM4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsta101 View Post
Just got the pirelli sottozero for my competition wheels. 295/30/20 rear and 265/30/20 front.

Thanks to the recommendation of a forum member here. So far I've had one snow fall and the tires work great. Feel very safe and confident in them. Ride is not too harsh either.

Thanks, I was looking at those but wanted some feedback..... awesome thanks bro =)
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 10:12 AM   #7
SOLIDM4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
hmm, I heard some get away with Performance all seasons. what do you think about those?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 10:13 AM   #8
SOLIDM4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
Depends on what size you're looking..

Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 (Winters)
Continental DWS06 (Ultra High Perf All-Season)
Michelin AS 3+ (Competitor to DWS06)
19's for now....
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 11:54 AM   #9
OF Hero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80!

This will be my 2nd winter on Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s. Loved them last winter, no complaints at all. It is a winter "performance" tire, not an all season.

Some people do get away with Performance All-Seasons, but I think you are better off with a dedicated winter setup. Yeah it's a hassle to change wheels twice a year, but the peace of mind is worth it IMO.
      11-30-2018, 03:22 PM   #10
instarand
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Glad you're enjoying! I'm have a good experience on my end as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 03:24 PM   #11
instarand
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
hmm, I heard some get away with Performance all seasons. what do you think about those?
Why do you want to just "get away" with tire performance? If you're buying new tires for the winter... why not get tires that were actually designed for the winter? Not sure I follow the logic for all seasons?
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      12-01-2018, 09:45 AM   #12
dawei213
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe they never drive in the snow or just an inch and can "get away" with all seasons? What's your reason with wanting to use all season? Is that that you don't want to deal with the hassle of changing tire sets? Or just want to save on the cost?

I just recently picked up a new set of wheels with PA4 Alpina. I was going back and forth between all seasons DWS06 and winter tires, mostly due to cost and also longer wear with DWS06. I do have another car that I can drive in the winter if needed but damn, I'm making monthly payment on this car so I'm going to drive it as much as I can!

For me, the reality of it is, yes snow tires will be more expensive, typically by $100+ per tire, so $400 more for a set. But think of it this way, in the event you do need to drive in deep snow, do you want to risk that one accident that'll cost you so much more than $400 in deductible, lost value and time? And that $400 is spread over multiple years. In the end, for me it's worth the cost and assurance that winter tires can give over all seasons.

Now if you do have another car to drive in the snow or don't plan to drive in the snow at all or deep snow, then I would say you can get away with all seasons such as DWS06.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      12-01-2018, 10:57 AM   #13
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 40i

I went through 6 years of NY winter in my old E92 on all-seasons without drama. Granted it was a measly 328i with X-Drive but overall, the Michelin AS3+ worked well for me in at most 2-3 inches of snow. More than that I don't go out. With the F80, I got winter tires plus wheels since they don't make all seasons in 666M sizes.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 12:23 PM   #14
instarand
First Lieutenant
Rep

Winter tires aren't only about snow. Rubber compound on all season (and summers of course) harden in the cold and make traction less optimal. All seasons are better than summer tires for sure, but they don't perform nearly as good in sub freezing temps relative to winter tires.

If nothing dramatic ever happens, you won't have an issue using any kind of tire in the winter. But heaven forbid you're on the highway, it's 29 degrees out, and a car swerves in front of you and you're forced to make a hard turn and emergency slam on brakes, you want tires whose compound was designed to stay nice and soft in cold conditions.

Or if you're out and don't anticipate and rain or snow and then the weather turns. It's just a big risk to use all seasons in the winter and just hope nothing happens.
Appreciate 2
FSociety3812.50
      12-01-2018, 10:09 PM   #15
SOLIDM4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Winter tires aren't only about snow. Rubber compound on all season (and summers of course) harden in the cold and make traction less optimal. All seasons are better than summer tires for sure, but they don't perform nearly as good in sub freezing temps relative to winter tires.

If nothing dramatic ever happens, you won't have an issue using any kind of tire in the winter. But heaven forbid you're on the highway, it's 29 degrees out, and a car swerves in front of you and you're forced to make a hard turn and emergency slam on brakes, you want tires whose compound was designed to stay nice and soft in cold conditions.

Or if you're out and don't anticipate and rain or snow and then the weather turns. It's just a big risk to use all seasons in the winter and just hope nothing happens.
Reminds me back in 2013, when the big giant blizzard hit, and I had a Honda civic 2008 SI with SUMMER tires, and it took me 2 hours to get home, but driving slow and precision driving with some coffee. I can manage, I can't speak for all drivers LOL. but I'm a All season driver, lol funny I'm starting a youtube CH on that...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 10:13 PM   #16
SOLIDM4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I mean the only way I will be driving in the snow, so if I happen to be in the middle of a storm = coming back from work ect... other then that I will not drive this car in any storm, and if I do I have an SUV lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danchee View Post
I went through 6 years of NY winter in my old E92 on all-seasons without drama. Granted it was a measly 328i with X-Drive but overall, the Michelin AS3+ worked well for me in at most 2-3 inches of snow. More than that I don't go out. With the F80, I got winter tires plus wheels since they don't make all seasons in 666M sizes.
Appreciate 0