European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

11-24-2018, 04:44 PM   #1
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

763M Performance Wheels made in Taiwan?

Received my 763M's today. Surprised to see they are made in Taiwan. Can someone else with these confirm the country of origin for your 763's? Did someone Shanghai my package between the BMW dealer and my house?!?

Looks like BMW is making lots of cash off us, they even put both part numbers for frozen gold and matte black on the same wheel to save money.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 04:53 PM   #2
fertech
Beast M ode
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Correct, made by SAI in Taiwan. One reason I got the BBS FI, made in Germany!
http://superalloyengineering.com/products/wheels/
But SAI produces for BMW, Porsche, Ferrari... so no concern.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 05:06 PM   #3
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Wait... I thought the whole car is made in Germany...lol

Some HRE wheels are made in Japan...

Nothing wrong with that at all, everyone is trying to safe money.

And to be honest, BMW cars and parts are already super cheap in the states compare to the ROW.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 07:04 PM   #4
F3IGHTY
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post

And to be honest, BMW cars and parts are already super cheap in the states compare to the ROW.
Parts come from all over the world, it's an international supply chain
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 10:34 PM   #5
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertech View Post
Correct, made by SAI in Taiwan. One reason I got the BBS FI, made in Germany!
http://superalloyengineering.com/products/wheels/
But SAI produces for BMW, Porsche, Ferrari... so no concern.
Cool. Just wanted to make sure someone didn't pull a fast one on me!
It's funny cause the Alutec wheels I got for my wife's X1 winter wheel setup are made in Germany and those were dirt cheap!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 02:53 PM   #6
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post

Yes, cast HRE wheels are made in Japan from what I have been told. They even hinted it was Enkei which is a good wheel manufacturer. Some of the best BBS wheels are made in Japan too. Even better than German wheels in some case. Japan had a patented forging process for some time and BBS contracted with BBS Japan for the ultra light forged stuff.

Also not fan of simple examples but I have owned four German made BMWs and they have all been the most unreliable cars I have ever owned. Plastic cooling systems, fuel pumps, electronics etc. I bought a German built 2008 GTI that tortured us for 9 years including one engine rebuild and one engine replacement. The replacement engine came from Spain and it was no longer buring a quart of oil every 1000 miles like the German engine. finally in 2017 we replaced that German GTI with with a made in Mexico Mk7. We have owned it 18 months and 17K miles and not had a single issue! At 18 months our German GTI was going in for it's first engine rebuild, not to mention it had already had its German headlights, replaced. It's German steering wheel, its German IPod adapter, its German TPMS sensors and TPMS cpu. We also had to have the German gearbox mechatronic unit replaced.

Don't get me started on german plastic cooling systems, water pumps, fuel pumps, sending units, rattles, etc etc etc.........

So I can understand the dissapointment because BMW touts German quality and engineering but let's put some perspective. If I was told that I would be sent put on spaceship and sent to Mars and the spaceship was built by BMW, I would tell them to take hike! Because BMW would use the crappiest, least reliable gear engineered with no redundant systems because they engineer for the optimistic of circumstances. Oh....no...zee Ozygen canister meter will NEVER fail...no need for zee oxygen level dipstick! That iz uzeless. Zee ezcellent German engineering never fails!

Ok, deep breath.....deep breath...where were we..... Oh yes, perspective. German quality and durability is sadly a myth but I do share and feel the OP's dissapointment. This past Christmas, my wife wanted some Ugg boots. The prices were ridiculous but I figured New Zealand is expensive and difficult to bring those over. I go to buy her a set and they are all made in China! yet they charge the same insane prices as when they were made in New Zealand or Autstralia.

Appreciate 0