Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

11-28-2018, 06:05 PM   #1
derpimpkar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Wheel Stud Recommendations

I finally have a set of track wheels and tires. I also have 10mm spacers up front. I need studs so I can get the spacer on the wheel easily and not kill myself.

I know they need to be a certain length. Does anyone have a link to a recommendation so I get the right ones? TIA.
      11-29-2018, 08:55 AM   #2
wsccsw13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

https://motorsporthardware.com/product/82mm-black-bullet-nose-stud-kit-14x1-25/

I have these as I have a set of track wheels. Work great, easy install.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2018, 09:00 AM   #3
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
I run these. Up to a 20mm spacer. They allow you run more popular M14x1.5 lug nuts.
https://motorsporthardware.com/produ...-of-lugs=5-Lug
      11-29-2018, 11:58 AM   #4
kevin @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW M4

75mm studs will allow you to run up to a 12mm spacer safely. Anything bigger than that you would want a 90mm stud. We offer Macht Schnell conversion kits. Feel free to PM me for details.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 12:21 PM   #5
coolmody
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW/SO F80 M3

I ran the 75mm studs available from Apex for 4 years and had one shear off while on track. I'm giving the stronger Bimmerworld studs a try for next season. The thread on the lug side is also different which allows more aftermarket or wheel lock options.

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Wheels-T...d-Package.html
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2018, 08:04 PM   #6
derpimpkar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

ty all.
      11-29-2018, 11:33 PM   #7
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep

Drives: E30 M3, F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmody View Post
I ran the 75mm studs available from Apex for 4 years...
I want to chime in and add a useful takeaway to this discussion instead of just throwing our name in the ring since there are reports of failures that pop-up every now and again from all stud brands.

Wheel mounting hardware when driven hard or retorqued often is a wear/consumable item. They're essentially springs that get stretched out from use over time, or prematurely if they're over/under torqued. It's unavoidable.

1-2 track seasons is the limit before replacement is recommended with all studs. Anyone that says otherwise is doing you a disservice. Unfortunately, how long they last is really dependent on a lot of variable such as how many events were attended, how hard the car gets loaded, how often wheels come off for service, how often their torqued, and more. There's no calculator. It comes down to how conservative you want to be with the preventative maintenance.

A huge number of stud buyers are installing them with the intention of them lasting the life of the vehicle. Even worse, I see used studs in classified sections and on craigslist. I cringe just thinking about it.

I just spoke to a shop 2 weeks ago and learned that one of their customer's race cars had 54 races/track days run over 5 years on our set of studs which is way too much without replacement. They won't be doing that anymore.

Regardless of what brand gets purchased they should be replaced after a few seasons of use, or sooner if the car is being driven a lot.

P.S. even if you don't switch to a stud kit and stick with factory lug bolts, but you track often and/or remove and retorque your log bolts often, the same replacements suggestion would apply. The metal will stretch.

Take care and drive safe,

-Eddy P
      11-30-2018, 10:44 AM   #8
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy@ApexRaceParts View Post
I want to chime in and add a useful takeaway to this discussion instead of just throwing our name in the ring since there are reports of failures that pop-up every now and again from all stud brands.

Wheel mounting hardware when driven hard or retorqued often is a wear/consumable item. They're essentially springs that get stretched out from use over time, or prematurely if they're over/under torqued. It's unavoidable.

1-2 track seasons is the limit before replacement is recommended with all studs. Anyone that says otherwise is doing you a disservice. Unfortunately, how long they last is really dependent on a lot of variable such as how many events were attended, how hard the car gets loaded, how often wheels come off for service, how often their torqued, and more. There's no calculator. It comes down to how conservative you want to be with the preventative maintenance.

A huge number of stud buyers are installing them with the intention of them lasting the life of the vehicle. Even worse, I see used studs in classified sections and on craigslist. I cringe just thinking about it.

I just spoke to a shop 2 weeks ago and learned that one of their customer's race cars had 54 races/track days run over 5 years on our set of studs which is way too much without replacement. They won't be doing that anymore.

Regardless of what brand gets purchased they should be replaced after a few seasons of use, or sooner if the car is being driven a lot.

P.S. even if you don't switch to a stud kit and stick with factory lug bolts, but you track often and/or remove and retorque your log bolts often, the same replacements suggestion would apply. The metal will stretch.

Take care and drive safe,

-Eddy P
The studs, if a good quality and good material, as well as NOT over torqued shouldn't be a "wear" item. Just like connecting rod bolt stretch, If you don't over stretch it, it will return to it's original size and length no matter how many times you torque it.
      11-30-2018, 03:15 PM   #9
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep

Drives: E30 M3, F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetrickerman View Post
The studs, if a good quality and good material, as well as NOT over torqued shouldn't be a "wear" item. Just like connecting rod bolt stretch, If you don't over stretch it, it will return to it's original size and length no matter how many times you torque it.
They get over and under torqued all the time in the real world by almost everyone.

More importantly, being torqued to factory specs does not avoid all the other stresses they experience throughout their life.

They are a wear item as a result.

Last edited by Eddy@ApexWheels; 11-30-2018 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: grammar
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 03:53 PM   #10
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT_MW on SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetrickerman View Post
I have to agree with Eddy. They are absolutely a wear item. I've had some fail when I used to autox a lot (mitsu evo). Those were a less expensive brand and moved to ARP after, but even being ARP and religiously using a torque wrench I'd still consider them a consumable. Especially if subjected to higher loads like those in autox, track days, road racing. You have higher lateral forces regardless and add in r compound tires with wider wheels it only adds additional load.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 04:03 PM   #11
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
I've had the same set of titanium studs (MRG) on my '18 M4 for ~18k miles. 80% freeway driving. I was supposed to track the car + buy other wheels and just never did.

I took the wheels off and took a pic of the studs and i'm told by Chad @ MRG that they're in great condition, so I don't need to change them yet but threads like this make me worry.

I never changed the studs on my E92...ever. 8+ years on them and they were fine. I tracked that car too. Either I got super lucky or...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 08:25 AM   #12
jacobe92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Hell Rot F80 M3

80mm

I like the MSI Racing (80mm) Studs. A little pricey but well worth it.
2016 Hellrot F80 M3|JRZ RS Pro with Swift Springs 550/750 spring rates l AP Radical 5000R 9668/9449 lSpiegler SS LinesI DS1.11I Eisenmann DP|MPE Catback|18" Forgeline GS1R 18x10 et 22 and 18x11 et 44 NT01 275/35/18 and 305/35/18| Forgeline GTD1 18x10et43 SquarelM Performance Lip/Splitter|IND aesthetic mods|Dinan Toe Link|Fall Line mono ball conversion kit and upper link kit| Aim Solo 2DL Smarty Cam|Simpson Hybrid|Stilo Offshore helmet.
Appreciate 0