Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

12-15-2018, 09:13 PM   #1
GuyLedouche
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82/718 GT4

M perf spoiler install with betalink

I ordered the m perf spoiler for my f82 and BMW now recommends betalink for the install. Every video I’ve found uses the 3M tape. I am comfortable mounting it myself but have no idea how to work with betalink. Anyone have experience with the stuff?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 03:42 AM   #2
yjypm
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyLedouche View Post
I ordered the m perf spoiler for my f82 and BMW now recommends betalink for the install. Every video I’ve found uses the 3M tape. I am comfortable mounting it myself but have no idea how to work with betalink. Anyone have experience with the stuff?
Sorry can't get you an answer on betalink experience but it's a pain to remove betalink from the paint once you remove the spoiler. 3M is strong enough for the spoiler.

Instagram:catpupu_f80
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 12:35 PM   #3
MarkFT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 (G80)

I've mounted about half a dozen MP spoilers on M2, M3 and M4 over the years and the M4 I found to be the most tricky - the corners of the spoiler that "wrap" from the top of the trunk to the vertical portion are under tension and need to taped almost to the edge/corner so that they don't lift. I've only ever taken beta link off a trunk lid and it is a huge pain! The VHB (very high bond) 3M should work, you just need to take your time, apply tape as close to the edges/corners as possible, and maybe do a little clamping for the first several hours. Making sure the tape and surface is warm when applying also helps with adhesion (use a blow drying or heat gun to warm the surface and tape right before putting the spoiler on).
Gone: 911 GTS, BMW 1M, E46 M3, X7 M50i, Porsche Cayenne GTS, X5M, M2CS, Cayman GT4 (981), Alfa Giulia QV, Carrera T, F80 M3 CS, Focus RS, M2 (OG), 14 E63S AMG wagon, M3 & M4 (F8X), X5 (F15 & E70), 335IS, VW Golf R (MK7), Audi SQ5, Cayman (987), M3 (E90), M5 MT (F10), A4 Avant (B8), S4 (B8), RS4 (B7), VW GTIs (MK2 to MK6)
Appreciate 1
arashir164.00
      12-16-2018, 03:07 PM   #4
Pharaoh2716
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Don't use betalink. It's messy and very very difficult to remove without damaging the paint. 3M tape is more than adequate.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 05:02 PM   #5
kevolution
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 BMW M3

I did mine with 3M tape and it seems to hold pretty well. I would say that if I had to do it again I would put as much tape to the corners as possible. I have very slight lift on the 2 far edges, but it's not enough to make me redo the spoiler or for it to come off. From far away, it still looks super flush.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 07:30 PM   #6
GuyLedouche
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82/718 GT4

The spoiler showed up today and came with 3M tape preapplied. Guess that makes this easier. Thanks for the comments.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 03:45 PM   #7
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I have a 2016 M4 and installed the M Performance CF Rear Spoiler shortly after redelivery. It came with the 3M double-sided tape already installed and it was a piece of cake to install. Make sure that you dry-fit the spoiler so you know exactly how much gap there is on each side of the trunk lid. Follow the directions about cutting the tape backing in the middle and leaving the inner ends exposed below the spoiler. Put the spoiler in place and then pull the backing tape down and off. It helps to have someone hold the spoiler in place while you pull off the backing. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes from start to finish.

We also installed the M Performance CF Rear Spoiler on my wife's 2018 M3 in September This was a complete pain in the ass and took hours. First, the body colored Gurney flap had to be pulled off since it's applied with Betalink from the factory. I first cut it with dental floss and used a plastic pry tool. Despite being extremely careful, the Gurney flap snapped into two pieces. There was was a ton of Betalink that had to be rubbed off. This took at least an hour and both my wife and I got blisters on our thumbs and forefingers despite wearing rubber gloves. We ended up with two balls of old Betalink that were at least almost an inch in diameter. The paint was not damaged in the process though.

BMW recommends Betalink to be used to install the M3 spoiler. This stuff is a thick, black, tarry goo that is a complete mess to work with. After being applied to the spoiler and pressed into place on the trunk lid, the excess has to be cleaned off using the spatula and Betadyne solvent in the Betalink kit. My wife spent at least two hours getting it all cleaned off after the spoiler was set and taped in place. The result is much more solid than using the 3M double-sided tape. The spoiler on the M3 is rock solid and doesn't budge a bit. The spoiler on the M4 is noticeably less solid, but I've had at least 8 track days with the M4 after the spoiler was installed at speeds up to 140 MPH and it hasn't budged.

Here's a photo taken during the M3 spoiler installation, with the spoiler taped down until the Betalink cures:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0