Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

12-20-2018, 08:36 AM   #1
PshhhhhMW
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 Alpine White M550i

Why 3-4 Months for Custom Wheels?

So I have some wheels on order and like all the wheels I've ordered in the past, it takes 3-4 months for delivery.

Why does it take that long and why, in the 16 years since I've ordered my first set, it still takes the same amount of time? I can't imagine they have a "we dont make it until you order it" approach. I'm sure they have a few barrels and faces ready for orders that come in.

Anyone in the industry care to take us behind the scenes?

Thanks for reading my rant. Just wish I got my wheels for Christmas.

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 08:55 AM   #2
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

what brand? usually I have waited a month on avg. 3-4 months! dang thats a long time.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 09:28 AM   #3
Ferg
Master of my own domain!!
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/F15 X5

Waited three months for my set! Patience is a virtue.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 09:28 AM   #4
PshhhhhMW
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
what brand? usually I have waited a month on avg. 3-4 months! dang thats a long time.
This set is Work. In the past, IForged, BBS, DPE, etc..
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10815.50
      12-20-2018, 11:41 AM   #5
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

What bothers me more is that most places I've worked with collect payment up front. Paying the full balance on a CC statement for something that is months away really bugs me. Just seems sketchy when most reputable vendors in pretty much any other industry charge you when product ships. Once they have your money, they're really in no hurry.
Appreciate 3
      12-20-2018, 12:08 PM   #6
HRE_Wheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PshhhhhMW View Post
So I have some wheels on order and like all the wheels I've ordered in the past, it takes 3-4 months for delivery.

Why does it take that long and why, in the 16 years since I've ordered my first set, it still takes the same amount of time? I can't imagine they have a "we dont make it until you order it" approach. I'm sure they have a few barrels and faces ready for orders that come in.

Anyone in the industry care to take us behind the scenes?

Thanks for reading my rant. Just wish I got my wheels for Christmas.
HRE Monoblok lead time is 4 weeks, and 3-piece is about 6 weeks. We manufacture and ship out of our San Diego, California location so if you need something quicker next time let me know

Just noticed you're in SFV. If you're ever in the San Diego area, feel free to stop by and I'd be glad to give you a private tour so you can see what we're all about.
Appreciate 2
PshhhhhMW554.00
ONE1125.00
      12-21-2018, 09:24 AM   #7
JoshFND
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 shopping

I had work wheels a few times.. my sets are always built overseas, they wait for the shipment container to become full, then ship at that time.. had a set within 1.5 months, one set was 5 months lol
      12-21-2018, 11:57 AM   #8
PshhhhhMW
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshFND View Post
I had work wheels a few times.. my sets are always built overseas, they wait for the shipment container to become full, then ship at that time.. had a set within 1.5 months, one set was 5 months lol
That explains it! Hopefully they had a lot of orders come in for the holidays..

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 02:40 PM   #9
SnailBums
Banned
Rep
Drives: e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshFND View Post
Yes, this is correct. When you order Works, Volks, ect they will wait until the have a full order to send them all at once. I waited 7 months for a set of Enkeis because no one was ordering the same size as me.

Mike
Appreciate 1
PshhhhhMW554.00
      12-21-2018, 06:13 PM   #10
maniz
Assistant TO the Regional Manager
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRE_Wheels View Post
HRE Monoblok lead time is 4 weeks, and 3-piece is about 6 weeks. We manufacture and ship out of our San Diego, California location so if you need something quicker next time let me know

Just noticed you're in SFV. If you're ever in the San Diego area, feel free to stop by and I'd be glad to give you a private tour so you can see what we're all about.
I had ordered a set of your "in stock at factory" wheels from a reputable SoCal shop that is also a forum member here. I paid them and they paid you guys the same day. 10 days later, there was no word on shipment so I got fed-up and asked them to cancel. HRE told them there will be a 10% restocking fee anyway (though nothing had ever shipped nor was being returned). I had to raise hell and get their owner involved to eventually get 100% refund. I ordered another company's fully-forged wheels from the same shop instead and have been very happy.

Der stärkste buchstabe der welt
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 06:19 PM   #11
HRE_Wheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniz View Post
I had ordered a set of your "in stock at factory" wheels from a reputable SoCal shop that is also a forum member here. I paid them and they paid you guys the same day. 10 days later, there was no word on shipment so I got fed-up and asked them to cancel. HRE told them there will be a 10% restocking fee anyway (though nothing had ever shipped nor was being returned). I had to raise hell and get their owner involved to eventually get 100% refund. I ordered another company's fully-forged wheels from the same shop instead and have been very happy.
If it was during our Holiday sale I apologize, we had an insane amount of orders all while our inventory numbers weren't keeping up with the quantity we were shipping so some orders were taken without notice of them actually being sold out at the time.

I apologize for what happened, and clearly whomever told you there would be a restocking fee didn't truly listen to you so I apologize for that. I would have offered a full refund on the spot without even asking management about it. Again, our apologizes for the inconvenience we have caused.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 04:13 PM   #12
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgarage44 View Post
What bothers me more is that most places I've worked with collect payment up front. Paying the full balance on a CC statement for something that is months away really bugs me. Just seems sketchy when most reputable vendors in pretty much any other industry charge you when product ships. Once they have your money, they're really in no hurry.
The payment up front is because you're ordering custom wheels and a lot of times, that custom set is going to be a pain for them to find another buyer for if you change your mind on the order so nobody wants to deal with it. You're sure you want this set of wheels? With these exact options you picked that is only going to fit a few certain models of cars perfectly? Cool, pay for it and they will make it for you. People on this forum are probably not the types to order a set of custom wheels and then flake out on the order but there are a ton of people out there like that.

To answer the OP, most of the wait time is getting in line to get your wheels produced behind existing orders. You can usually pay extra to jump to the head of the line if you need or want your wheels in a hurry.
Appreciate 1
PshhhhhMW554.00
      12-24-2018, 04:22 PM   #13
sdshah
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85 | Panamera GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PshhhhhMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
This set is Work. In the past, IForged, BBS, DPE, etc..
Lmao gonna probably be 7 other names with 0 support in 3 months. DPE fucked me over on my E92 and had to file a lawsuit.

It's HRE or BBS if you are spending more than 4K.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 04:24 PM   #14
sdshah
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgarage44 View Post
The payment up front is because you're ordering custom wheels and a lot of times, that custom set is going to be a pain for them to find another buyer for if you change your mind on the order so nobody wants to deal with it. You're sure you want this set of wheels? With these exact options you picked that is only going to fit a few certain models of cars perfectly? Cool, pay for it and they will make it for you. People on this forum are probably not the types to order a set of custom wheels and then flake out on the order but there are a ton of people out there like that.

To answer the OP, most of the wait time is getting in line to get your wheels produced behind existing orders. You can usually pay extra to jump to the head of the line if you need or want your wheels in a hurry.
And also these wheel companies and especially DPE doesn't have cash flow to produce wheels without full cost. They probably using that money to be supplement more than one order.
Appreciate 1
PshhhhhMW554.00
      12-24-2018, 05:42 PM   #15
PshhhhhMW
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdshah View Post
Lmao gonna probably be 7 other names with 0 support in 3 months. DPE fucked me over on my E92 and had to file a lawsuit.

It's HRE or BBS if you are spending more than 4K.
Lol had the same type of issues for my E90

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 10:28 PM   #16
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

Forgeline for three-piece wheels for me. The end.
      12-25-2018, 11:37 AM   #17
Zero_Cool
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 Imola 6spd

What’s the consensus on Brixton forged? Sorry OP
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 11:55 AM   #18
sdshah
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_Cool View Post
What's the consensus on Brixton forged? Sorry OP
Over priced for no brand name. They should be 2k cheaper if they want to enter the market and work their way up.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 01:19 PM   #19
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

It all depends on volume pricing and logistics. Some forged wheel companies only need 3-4 weeks lead time for custom specs, because they were smart enough to secure and negotiate a special deal with the manufacturer, which is typically located somewhere in Taiwan nowadays. This strategy is great for consumers, because this leaves no room for Tomfoolery with their hard earned money.

For reference, the average invoice price for a custom set of 19" forged wheels is about $1200 per set or $300/unit -- and for the record, this is not a made up figure. Why is this important to know? Well, for a new company like Titan7, that only offers specific sizes, they are able to further lower their manufacturing costs by ordering the same wheel sizes in volume. Therefore, they're able to sell their wheels at a much lower price point than their competitors, which helps a lot with brand recognition during the introductory stage.

So take that logic and apply it to other forged wheel companies like 305 Forged, Klassen, Velos, VS Forged, and the list goes on. Anytime you're spending more than $2,000 for a set of Made in Taiwan/China forged wheels, really think about how much wheel (structural design, load certification, quality) you're getting for what you're paying.

Last edited by FriedPiston; 12-26-2018 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
PshhhhhMW554.00
      01-02-2019, 11:34 AM   #20
carlos@velosdesignwerks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
It all depends on volume pricing and logistics. Some forged wheel companies only need 3-4 weeks lead time for custom specs, because they were smart enough to secure and negotiate a special deal with the manufacturer, which is typically located somewhere in Taiwan nowadays. This strategy is great for consumers, because this leaves no room for Tomfoolery with their hard earned money.

For reference, the average invoice price for a custom set of 19" forged wheels is about $1200 per set or $300/unit -- and for the record, this is not a made up figure. Why is this important to know? Well, for a new company like Titan7, that only offers specific sizes, they are able to further lower their manufacturing costs by ordering the same wheel sizes in volume. Therefore, they're able to sell their wheels at a much lower price point than their competitors, which helps a lot with brand recognition during the introductory stage.

So take that logic and apply it to other forged wheel companies like 305 Forged, Klassen, Velos, VS Forged, and the list goes on. Anytime you're spending more than $2,000 for a set of Made in Taiwan/China forged wheels, really think about how much wheel (structural design, load certification, quality) you're getting for what you're paying.
Just wanted to chime in and say our wheels are made in the US, not China or Taiwan. Happy New Years as well everyone!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 04:56 PM   #21
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen@velosdesignwerks View Post
Just wanted to chime in and say our wheels are made in the US, not China or Taiwan. Happy New Years as well everyone!
Just curious, but from whom or where do you source your forged aluminum blocks?
      01-03-2019, 01:56 PM   #22
carlos@velosdesignwerks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROK View Post
Just curious, but from whom or where do you source your forged aluminum blocks?
All of our forgings are sourced from the US.
Appreciate 0