EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

12-30-2018, 07:12 PM   #1
wheelhouse
Private
Rep
Drives: m4

Brake Pads Autocross

Any recommendations for brake pads for autocross?

Looking at getting a set of pads for autocross and a set for the track.

Something Like Hawk 5.0 for daily and autocross and PS29 for track days (going to run my first track day this year)

(though someone said switching manufacturers is a bad idea)

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 12:56 PM   #2
JeffO
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

I am using EBC Yellowstuff. However the front Yellow pad does not fit with 18" wheels, the weights are too large. I ground mine down so they fit my stock 18 and Bimmerworld 18 wheels. The rear Yellows did fit. I think the braking is a little better than stock pads. Dust is about the same as stock. On e36 m3 the Hawk HP plus works well for AX, but is too dirty and annohing noise for street driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 02:54 PM   #3
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

STOCK PADS

what do you think you're going to gain by moving from stock pads? My stock pads were GF rated and the fantastic cold bite supports that rating (note that not all cars came with GF pads). Just about all aftermarket "performance" pads will have less cold torque. You can't beat stock pads for maximum braking on a cold pad for auto-x runs. You might be able to use a more track oriented pad in 90f+ peak of summer after 2-3 runs but that's about it for auto-x...

There are few "auto-x" specific pads out there but you're basically paying for brand names that provide similar torque curves to a stock pad lol...

Oh and RSL29 pads are basically stock friction levels but with less cold bite. They would be FF rated (.4-.45 Mu), per the friction chart provided by Pagid... You would want the RSL1 or RST line of pads if you wanted an upgrade over stock in terms of peak friction (~.53 Mu). Those pads both come with <212f friction penalties though so they would be a downgrade for autocross and street driving IN MY OPINION.

Last edited by bbnks2; 01-02-2019 at 03:02 PM..
Appreciate 0