Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

01-24-2019, 12:09 PM   #1
TopShotta
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp Pack

F80 M3 Small Valve Stem

Here goes my first post and I can feel the flames coming already (be gentle) lol. I did try to search, but I couldn't find anything close enough to my issue IMO.

My TPMS went off this morning so I figure I'll stop at the gas station while the wheels are still cold to adjust the pressure. When I tried to inflate the tires I noticed after 2 seconds the the chuck wasn't fitting and I was deflating my tire. Upon closer inspection I noticed the valve stem is shorter and the opening is smaller than standard ones. am I crazy? What's the work around for this?

NOTE: this is my first BMW so I'm lost.
Appreciate 1
ilia381.00
      01-24-2019, 06:55 PM   #2
TopShotta
Enlisted Member
Rep

Reading Is Fundamental

So I read the manual and found out there's a tire repair kit, which includes a flimsy looking compressor. The compressor did the trick, but I still want to know what people are using to inflate their tires. I feel like that compressor will eventually break.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 07:10 PM   #3
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

... post pics, never had this problem on the fourm before at least as far as I remember. I've had no problems
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 07:10 PM   #4
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Stems are normal schraders as they've always been. Maybe you hadn't had your coffee yet?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 10:13 PM   #5
ilia
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
I actually ran into the same problem at Costco. OP is not crazy. I had my winter tires installed at Costco last year, so when I reinstalled them this season, the low pressure warning came on. Since they were filled with nitrogen from Costco, I went back for more. They said that some European valve stems don't fit their refill nozzles, but interestingly enough, they have the proper fitting nozzle on their tire installation machine. I witnessed the air coming out of my tires as they tried to refill it. That's the one and only time I've had a problem with the my valve stem being too short(that's my story and I'm sticking to it). I'm glad that someone else had the courage to admit to the problem as well
      01-25-2019, 02:58 AM   #6
TopShotta
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
... post pics, never had this problem on the fourm before at least as far as I remember. I've had no problems
I'll take some pics today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightarmor View Post
Stems are normal schraders as they've always been. Maybe you hadn't had your coffee yet?
I only tried one gas station. I'll have to look around and see if I can find one that fits. but these valves are definitely weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilia View Post
I actually ran into the same problem at Costco. OP is not crazy. I had my winter tires installed at Costco last year, so when I reinstalled them this season, the low pressure warning came on. Since they were filled with nitrogen from Costco, I went back for more. They said that some European valve stems don't fit their refill nozzles, but interestingly enough, they have the proper fitting nozzle on their tire installation machine. I witnessed the air coming out of my tires as they tried to refill it. That's the one and only time I've had a problem with the my valve stem being too short(that's my story and I'm sticking to it). I'm glad that someone else had the courage to admit to the problem as well
Thank you! I was beginning to think I was crazy. I've been debating on getting my own compressor and air chuck for a while now - looks like it's about time. I want to save the one that comes with the car for emergencies. it works but it doesn't seem very sturdy.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 07:59 AM   #7
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
strange, thought it was either presta(bikes) or scheruder(sp.)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 10:32 AM   #8
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
So it sounds like the fill chuck is the problem and not the stem. You say the valve stem is too short, which makes sense with some of these TPMS stems, and yes not all air chucks are created equal. As G35 pointed out there are only two types of main stream valve stems, schrader and presta.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 11:48 AM   #9
TopShotta
Enlisted Member
Rep

I took a couple pic, which I attached to this post. I'm thinking I will finally pull the trigger on getting my own compressor with a suitable air chuck. only reason I haven't by now is because it's conveniently located and free.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 11:50 AM   #10
TopShotta
Enlisted Member
Rep

I suspect the bulky portion at the base is what's preventing a secure fit.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 03:32 PM   #11
Expert@ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M3

That is indeed a standard schrader valve, and the issue is likely the bulkiness of the connector. If you don't need a huge compressor for air tools, etc, just get a portable one.

I've had no problems with the Viair 88P. Super convenient and works fast. And beats having to go to the gas station just for air.

--Dylan
      01-25-2019, 05:23 PM   #12
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT_MW on SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.fran268 View Post
What he said. Nothing abnormal there. All my air chucks and pressure gauges at home (4 to 5 of them) work a-ok with the bmw wheels.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2019, 02:31 PM   #13
TopShotta
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmartyPants View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.fran268 View Post
What he said. Nothing abnormal there. All my air chucks and pressure gauges at home (4 to 5 of them) work a-ok with the bmw wheels.
Which ones do you have? I've been looking at a lot of them the past couple days.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 05:06 PM   #14
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT_MW on SO

For tire pressure gauge I have a nice Longacre one with bleed valve.

For chucks to add pressure I just have randoms from Craftsman and Harbor Freight
      02-01-2019, 02:10 PM   #15
JTK24
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I went to my local gas station to fill up my tires on my F80 and had the same exact problem. Could not get it to stop leaking air. Never had that problem on my wife's car or my previous car at the same gas station. I thought I was just doing something wrong!! Glad I stumbled upon this thread so I know I'm not crazy
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 02:25 PM   #16
TopShotta
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTK24 View Post
I went to my local gas station to fill up my tires on my F80 and had the same exact problem. Could not get it to stop leaking air. Never had that problem on my wife's car or my previous car at the same gas station. I thought I was just doing something wrong!! Glad I stumbled upon this thread so I know I'm not crazy
I'm glad this thread helped somebody else out. I ended buying a compressor and an Amflo air chuck - it did the trick for me.
Appreciate 0