BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-28-2008, 03:39 PM   #1
AlpWtE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 AW E92 M3

Anyone else suffering from backordered parts for E92 M3?

I readily admit this incident was the result of my own stupidity and inexperience, and I'm definitely paying the price. That said, I have some issues with the fact that BMW does not seem to have a proper stock of spare parts for our cars in the U.S. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced similar issues and if anyone has any ideas about what, if anything, I can do to speed the process of getting my parts and to maybe submit a complaint to BMW NA.

Long story short, I took a turn on a narrow and windy road in the local mountains a bit too fast and the car slid into the side of a hill. My front bumper, front right wheel/tire, and some panels from the bottom of the car and front right wheel well were damaged.

I took my car into the local BMW certified body shop two weeks ago to get the car fixed and as of today, I'm still waiting on parts. Apparently, they are still waiting for the bumper and the 19" wheels to arrive from Germany because those parts are not available in the U.S. The shop has also yet to do my alignment, which they say could reveal additional damage or need for new parts. I'm pretty upset at (1) the dealer because the delay in getting the alignment done as it seems this could have been done a week ago when they received the replacement tire (the wheel was not bent - just scratches), and (2) BMW NA because they do not stock any e92 M3 bumpers in the U.S. for my car. I am told they have e92 M3 bumpers, but not ones that have holes for the headlight washers (which my car has, and I'm guessing a large number of the M3's in the U.S. right now have). They only have ones for non-pdc, and no headlight washers. This seems ridiculous to me given that it's almost been 5 months since the car was released in the U.S. It just seems like a case of bad parts distribution for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

I believe this has been a long-running issue for BMW owners. When my E46 was in the shop after an accident, it took 2 months to get several parts from Germany for a car that was only a year old. The BMW-certified shop was not surprised by the wait. Very frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 04:12 PM   #3
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Uff, it looks like its going to be a long wait.
      07-28-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

Pics!

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 05:08 PM   #5
Rick
Stackin' Chips
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW M3 Coupe

Good time to upgrade to the reflector-less Euro Bumper, no?
      07-28-2008, 05:56 PM   #6
argonboy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Space Gray

They probably have the no-PDC one, since I believe they should all have the washer cut-outs. At least they have a problem with a backorder, i have a problem with incompetent people. (my technician went on holiday after ordering the parts)

My car is in the shop at the dealer since last Tuesday, although they had the clutch/flywheel (they come as one part, same housing) in the shop, they didn't have a special tool for it. This was after 2 weeks from ordering (said 4-5 days) and they realized that they don't have the tools to remove the clutch/flywheel.

UPDATE: Got the car back, much smoother downshift 3>2, and now I can actually launch without waiting over 1 sec for the synchros to align.

Last edited by argonboy; 07-31-2008 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 06:08 PM   #7
gadget
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT

You guys may wan to invest some time (while you wait fro your car) in some performance driving courses. Not only will it be a fun way to get your need for speed, but should also help you from making the same mistake again.

I hate waiting- i feel you frustration.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 06:41 PM   #8
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Hi AlpWtE92,

I was the cyclist that saw you and spoke to you on West Alpine Road shortly after you ran into the hill. I hope you are able to get the parts quickly. I feel your pain. Take care
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 07:51 PM   #9
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

Sorry to hear about your accident and parts problem. Maybe that is price that we have to pay for getting this type of car.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 09:14 PM   #10
umwolverine
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jerez M3

Hope you get it back soon!!! I feel your pain.
      07-28-2008, 09:36 PM   #11
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Dude that reminds me of when I was in grad school and put my 97 Acura Intergra LS into an embankment avoiding a deer in the middle of a two lane road while doing 70mph. Acura is no BMW but it took 3 months to repair my car back to OEM standards!

Feel your pain...but I do agree with above...I'd be getting the Euro bumper if I was you! Also maybe now is a good time for aftermarket wheels...since you're still waiting on the OEM 19" rim...and just wait for the 19" to use as a spare when it comes in.

Good luck.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 09:47 PM   #12
DJ9
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3_SG

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpWtE92 View Post
I readily admit this incident was the result of my own stupidity and inexperience, and I'm definitely paying the price. That said, I have some issues with the fact that BMW does not seem to have a proper stock of spare parts for our cars in the U.S. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced similar issues and if anyone has any ideas about what, if anything, I can do to speed the process of getting my parts and to maybe submit a complaint to BMW NA.

Long story short, I took a turn on a narrow and windy road in the local mountains a bit too fast and the car slid into the side of a hill. My front bumper, front right wheel/tire, and some panels from the bottom of the car and front right wheel well were damaged.

I took my car into the local BMW certified body shop two weeks ago to get the car fixed and as of today, I'm still waiting on parts. Apparently, they are still waiting for the bumper and the 19" wheels to arrive from Germany because those parts are not available in the U.S. The shop has also yet to do my alignment, which they say could reveal additional damage or need for new parts. I'm pretty upset at (1) the dealer because the delay in getting the alignment done as it seems this could have been done a week ago when they received the replacement tire (the wheel was not bent - just scratches), and (2) BMW NA because they do not stock any e92 M3 bumpers in the U.S. for my car. I am told they have e92 M3 bumpers, but not ones that have holes for the headlight washers (which my car has, and I'm guessing a large number of the M3's in the U.S. right now have). They only have ones for non-pdc, and no headlight washers. This seems ridiculous to me given that it's almost been 5 months since the car was released in the U.S. It just seems like a case of bad parts distribution for BMW.

That's horrible, sorry buddy. What local road were you on?

I also dinged my rim (rear though) on a piece of concrete that was sticking out of the sidewalk. Freaked out and ordered a new rear wheel. 5 weeks later the thing arrived..got a phone call last week; but I've since had the time to have the rim repaired and had my CC refunded for the new rim. Basically, no one is stocking parts for this stuff just yet.

Anyone need a rear 19", there's one sitting at the dealer in Marin.

2008 E92M3-Space Gray
Eisenmann Sport Exhaust_MT/Loaded

Last edited by DJ9; 07-29-2008 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2008, 10:33 PM   #13
R68
Maverick-y
Rep
Drives: M Uber Alles

your screwed on the 19" wheels... there are over 40 rears and 30 fronts (or vise versa) on national backorder. I've been hounding my dealer for months.
      07-29-2008, 11:28 AM   #14
AlpWtE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
You guys may wan to invest some time (while you wait fro your car) in some performance driving courses. Not only will it be a fun way to get your need for speed, but should also help you from making the same mistake again.

I hate waiting- i feel you frustration.
This was on my list of things to do this year! Now I wish I did it earlier than waiting. I'm definitely going to do one of the courses - if not the BMW one, maybe one offered by the local BMW CCA chapter.

Last edited by AlpWtE92; 07-31-2008 at 07:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #15
AlpWtE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all comments and advice on getting after market parts - I'm looking into it - especially the wheels.

This is my second BMW and first one that I've had to replace any parts on (other than the usual maintenance parts, of course), but it sounds like what I'm experiencing is par for BMW and for relatively limited production cars like the M3, and should brace for an even longer wait than I anticipated. It still sucks though and it just doesn't seem right that a brand like BMW would not stock a good supply of spare parts for cars that they bring into the U.S. I would understand more about the wheels because of the supply issues that I've heard about since the car was released, but apparently there are over 60 spare bumpers for my car sitting in some warehouse in Germany. It would seem to make sense to allocate some of those to the U.S. especially when the first batch of M3's released in the U.S. were fully loaded with the headlight washers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ9 View Post
That'S horrible, sorry buddy. What local road were you on?
I was on Alpine Rd off near Skyline Blvd. Great twisties - but need to be careful or better driver than me

Quote:
Originally Posted by knifegun View Post
Hi AlpWtE92,

I was the cyclist that saw you and spoke to you on West Alpine Road shortly after you ran into the hill. I hope you are able to get the parts quickly. I feel your pain. Take care
Knifegun - glad you chimed in because I felt bad that I was not very social/talkative when I met you at the scene - obviously I was a bit upset. Haha. But still, it was good to meet a fellow M3post member in person.

Last edited by AlpWtE92; 07-31-2008 at 07:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 04:11 PM   #16
BMWNA
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

I’m with BMW of North America, LLC. Check your inbox for our offer of assistance.
      07-31-2008, 04:15 PM   #17
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW NA Customer Relations View Post
I’m with BMW of North America, LLC. Check your inbox for our offer of assistance.
That is what I call Customer Service.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 06:59 PM   #18
AlpWtE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW NA Customer Relations View Post
I had no idea BMW NA had someone monitoring these boards. Kudos for that! I've responded to the PM - looking forward to speaking to someone soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 07:10 PM   #19
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3

Quote:
I had no idea BMW NA had someone monitoring these boards. Kudos for that! I've responded to the PM - looking forward to speaking to someone soon.
Make sure to update the thread with any new developments.

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 11:45 PM   #20
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Yes they are out there...BMW NA that is. When I had difficulties making contact with my CA I got an "offer of assistance" and an email from my CA about 48hrs later! Also got a poster of the new M3 and another gift for my desk from BMW NA with their thanks for my M3 and BMW enthusiasm! Chrysler and Ford need to take notes!
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2008, 11:56 PM   #21
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

WOWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

BMW NA Customer Relations ????

I had no idea, good to see!
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 12:15 AM   #22
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Knifegun - glad you chimed in because I felt bad that I was not very social/talkative when I met you at the scene - obviously I was a bit upset. Haha. But still, it was good to meet a fellow M3post member in person.
No problem at all. I would have been very upset myself. I was just driving my M3 pretty aggressively a week before I saw you so that could have easily been me. I hope you get the parts you need quickly to put this behind you. The good thing is that you did not damage the body aside from the bumper. Was there any real damage to the undercarriage? It looked like some of the aero bits where cracked but nothing really mechanical.
Appreciate 0