BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-13-2019, 03:45 PM   #1
KillFox91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X35i

Another Tire Thread.... Yea I know

I had originally planned on purchasing 20" replicas but the only reputable source I was willing to use no longer offers them. So I went OEM for my 599m wheels ; which honestly is probably for the best.

However; all my research was based off 20" wheels and not the 21".

Looking on Tire rack; it seems there are only about 6 options. Michelin Pilot Super Sports seem to be the best in the pack. I was pretty set on Michelin Nspec Porsche tires or dws06 on 20s.

I have a 19" winter tire setup in Blizzak DMs for the fair amount of snow we get here in Spokane.

I'm looking for a good tire that will get me through 9 months of the year with maybe a 1-3 inch snowfall before I switch to my winter setup.

Michelin PSS are not rated for snow at all; which is fine... but will they take you through a dusting?

285/35/21 and 325/30/21 is what BMW recommends for tires on the 21" 599 setup.

Thank you for your responses and sorry for yet another tire thread; but search didn't fit my specific situation.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 04:30 PM   #2
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
I'm currently running 599 with Super Sports....I would not use them into winter. Not as much because of the light snow, they (performance summer tires) don't really like temps close to freezing (below 40 degrees).

I'm currently waiting for a set of 20 inch wheels that I will be using for normal driving and will replace the Super Sports with a dedicated snow tire. I was going to go with DWS-06's but there doesn't seem to be any 315's anywhere so I will most like go with the Nspec tires.

So.... my suggestions would be go with the Super Sports, just get the winters on earlier than planned and keep them on a little longer.....
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2019, 10:48 PM   #3
Road Carnage
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 96 328is, 15 X5 50i

I agree, go with the MPSS you will not be disappointed. I have a set of Blizzaks on my stock 19” rims for the winter.
      04-13-2019, 11:29 PM   #4
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillFox91 View Post
Michelin PSS are not rated for snow at all; which is fine... but will they take you through a dusting?
Yes, but really only while they are new and sticky.

Past: 2013 750i xdrive, 2008 535xi
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 11:40 PM   #5
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Brigestone Dueler HP, Conti SportContact or Pirelli PZero? All 20”.

I’m leaning toward Conti. What do you think?
      04-14-2019, 09:58 AM   #6
KillFox91
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
Brigestone Dueler HP, Conti SportContact or Pirelli PZero? All 20".

I'm leaning toward Conti. What do you think?
If you have 20s go with the conti dws06 ; the only tire on par with those are the Michelin As3 n spec as far as non run flat goes.
If you want run flat go with the duelers.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 10:05 AM   #7
DocOct
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 - F15 X5

I had the PSS on an xdrive 550. It snowed in September here about 1/2 inch. This was when the tires were three months old. I had to abandon the car at my in laws as it was down right dangerous. That car was fantastic on winter tires. The PSS are wicked tires but not on ANY amount of ice or snow.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2019, 07:05 PM   #8
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillFox91 View Post
If you have 20s go with the conti dws06 ; the only tire on par with those are the Michelin As3 n spec as far as non run flat goes.
If you want run flat go with the duelers.
Not sure why you me advise all seasons when I ask about summers, but thanks for the effort.
      05-03-2019, 08:45 PM   #9
KillFox91
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Put Michelin Pilot Super Sports on; pretty much the only option non runflat.

They are louder than even the blizzard winters are though which sucks; but oh well. Cost of the car looking all sexy!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
HJ478.00
      05-03-2019, 10:12 PM   #10
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I've went with Conti SportContact 5 SSR (RFT). They are very quiet, much quieter than Pirellis. But car is "jumpier" than on Pirellis on the uneven roads.
      05-23-2019, 06:57 AM   #11
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

I just had a bad experience with new Pirelli RF's.
My X5 was bought 1 year old with 14k. Came with pirelli RF's with no issues or vibrations for the 25k I've put on it. For what a RF offers I really like them. Pulled into my driveway last year to hear a hissing and a nail was sticking 1/2 way into the right rear top tire. Drove the 15 miles to my tire shop with now issues.

I have no spare, but since I tow a 15 foot boat I like the added cargo space under the cargo lid for accessories and odds and ends so I was going with the priellis RF again. Just turned 39k and I could have gone another 10k but with the boat I need stopping power. And the ride of new the tread depth is heaven! X5 runs super quiet again with no squeeks or rattles. Deep tread makes all the difference. Rode like a brand new car, when I first put the new Perillis on until I hit highway speeds between 60-70 over the next few days.

But with these new Pirellis they wound up rebalancing them all 3 times. AND HOURS OUT OF MY LIFE WAITING AROUND. Last time they even used a maching that tested them under a driving load. They even replaced one tire that they found questionable. First time shaking was in wheel. 2nd time in seat. I even had them rotate the tires to try and isolate the issue.

So I finally said screw it and these Pirellis needed to come off my car. Order me the Michelin Lat Tour HP (that I read good things about here scanning the threads) since they don't stock these they came in 2 days.
Driving home on the highway it was like driving in a Gulfstream jet! I knew it was going to cost me as the Pierris cost me $269 each and the Michelin's were $347 each. So all tolled the Michelin's cost me $367 more with, but I didn't buy a late model BMW to skimp on the ride as using run flats in the firdt place lowers the quality of the ride and handling anyway.

Just posting my recent experience for would be Pirelli RF buyers. My experience is their newest tires are not the tires of 4 years ago. Its clear to me they changed their rubber compounds and cheapened these Scorpions.

In life, you get what you pay for!
      05-23-2019, 11:12 AM   #12
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d, 535d, 750i, X5 35d

For my non-winter 21" wheels, I run MPSS and they're great. Handle extraordinarily well, albeit they seem to wear on the faster side. I also ran MPSS on a sport sedan with similar results.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 11:33 AM   #13
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocOct View Post
I had the PSS on an xdrive 550. It snowed in September here about 1/2 inch. This was when the tires were three months old. I had to abandon the car at my in laws as it was down right dangerous. That car was fantastic on winter tires. The PSS are wicked tires but not on ANY amount of ice or snow.
Just read your post.

I find it strange that many people do not believe how crappy extreme summer only tires are, when it get's cold. They can be outright dangerous, as you pointed out!

On my 3 series I used extreme summer only tires, and a set of winters. One year I ended up being too late with the switch, and what saved me during the first way too early snowfall and cold spell, was the AWD and very careful driving home. Anytime I gave gas, the traction control light lit up and I was spinning tires, and sliding sideways in turns.
Wide summer tires and cold weather do not mix well at all.
After that I switched to winters and I drove for a month or two not needing them, before the winter actually set in.

The 3 series with narrower winter tires (7" vs 8.5" wide rims), was like a snowplow. I actually "plowed" through family friends 3/4 mile driveway after we got over 2ft of really dry snow one time, and they needed help (and then realizing I should have cleaned out the snow from the wheels before it froze on me and made them very imbalanced... LOL)
On my summers, I doubt I would have made it 20ft.

I'm all for great tires, but too many people don't understand that an extreme summer only tire, should be replaced ASAP by winter tires, once there is a risk of under 40 degree weather. This can add 2-4 months of wear and tear on the winter tire set.

On my X5 I use A/S tires for summer time, (soon switching to high performance A/S tires), and only plan to use the softer winters for 3-4 months, once winter actually sets in.
IMO no reason to have extreme summer time only tires, unless you track the car, or it is used for summer time only.
Today's A/S tires are so much better than they used to be, and for the X5 the good ones have plenty of grip...

Anyway, sorry for the long reply. But to answer one of OP's questions; Do not buy summer only tires, if you expect to use them until you get a light dusting of snow.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 05:23 PM   #14
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d, 535d, 750i, X5 35d

In response to the above, unfortunately the offerings are limited for all-season tires in 599M fitment.
Appreciate 1
1norseman398.00
      05-24-2019, 10:03 PM   #15
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep

Garage List
People who drive all seasons are like people who wear condoms 24/7 - it feels bad during the sex, and even more awful in between.
      05-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #16
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
People who drive all seasons are like people who wear condoms 24/7 - it feels bad during the sex, and even more awful in between.
This sounds like someone that has never driven on a good high performance all season tire.

Granted you give up some performance when compared to a good summer tire but who's pushing a 5,000 pound SAV around looking for ultimate cornering?

Not to mention the life expectancy compared between the two different tires.
Appreciate 1
1norseman398.00
      05-25-2019, 03:16 PM   #17
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmr View Post
This sounds like someone that has never driven on a good high performance all season tire.

Granted you give up some performance when compared to a good summer tire but who's pushing a 5,000 pound SAV around looking for ultimate cornering?

Not to mention the life expectancy compared between the two different tires.

Theultimatedrivingmaniac got a hard on for anyone driving on A/S tires in the summer time for some weird reason, and lately I have realized he has a habit of pointing that out in a disparaging way, when he has an opportunity.
I wouldn't pay too much attention to his opinion, since he doesn't care to back it up with facts pertinent to the situation.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, it needs to be high performance A/S, and he writes replies as if all A/S tires are the same!
I rather drive on a high performance quality A/S tire in the summer, than a cheap summer only tire.
Though, for a sportscar that would only see above 60-70 degree weather, I would likely drive on quality summer use only tires.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 05:03 PM   #18
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1norseman View Post
I rather drive on a high performance quality A/S tire in the summer, than a cheap summer only tire.
Just get the expensive summer and winter tyres, dude. Don't be cheap. Or you wear the same boots all year around?

Tyres are the only thing that has contact with a road. And what is more important than handling, you are constantly talking about, is a braking distance. A/S will give you about 15 feet more from 60 mph to 0 compared to summers on a dry road, which is about a length of the whole car, and I don't even want to compare A/S to the proper winter tyres in winter.

The choice is yours, and to be honest, I don't care about it, as long as we are not sharing the same stretch of the road.

Last edited by TheUltimateDrivingManiac; 05-25-2019 at 05:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 05:41 PM   #19
maDjzo
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: G30

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
MPSS's are very good tires, running them now with 375's and they perform and look great. Don't cheap out on rubber!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 08:55 PM   #20
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Theultimatedrivingmaniac got a hard on for anyone driving on A/S tires in the summer time for some weird reason, and lately I have realized he has a habit of pointing that out in a disparaging way, when he has an opportunity.
I wouldn't pay too much attention to his opinion, since he doesn't care to back it up with facts pertinent to the situation.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, it needs to be high performance A/S, and he writes replies as if all A/S tires are the same!
Though, for a sportscar that would only see above 60-70 degree weather, I would likely drive on quality summer use only tires.

Every forum has at least one of those guys.....

Every combination has trade-offs. In his post following yours, he says just get the expensive tires. Like the cost of the tire is the determinate of the performance of the tire.

I wonder if he's running "R" spec tires to gain the ultimate in traction? I don't think he is. I think he just talks a big game. Or perhaps he just likes talking about condom's.
Appreciate 1
1norseman398.00
      05-25-2019, 10:06 PM   #21
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Just get the expensive summer and winter tyres, dude. Don't be cheap. Or you wear the same boots all year around?

Tyres are the only thing that has contact with a road. And what is more important than handling, you are constantly talking about, is a braking distance. A/S will give you about 15 feet more from 60 mph to 0 compared to summers on a dry road, which is about a length of the whole car, and I don't even want to compare A/S to the proper winter tyres in winter.

The choice is yours, and to be honest, I don't care about it, as long as we are not sharing the same stretch of the road.
Quote:

Every combination has trade-offs. In his post following yours, he says just get the expensive tires. Like the cost of the tire is the determinate of the performance of the tire.

I wonder if he's running "R" spec tires to gain the ultimate in traction? I don't think he is. I think he just talks a big game. Or perhaps he just likes talking about condom's.
andrewmr you are making some good points once again! LOL

TUDM clearly failed English 101, since among other things, I already pointed out I use dedicated winter tires (Michelin), but I realize high performance A/S tires works great for summer time use with the X5, due to several factors. He seems to have missed that little detail...

Even better with the high performance A/S tires, if you have yet to switch to winter tires when it gets a bit too cold, you can still brake hard. Something you won't do well with extreme summer use only tires.

I currently have a brand new set of "really cheap and crappy" MICHELIN PILOT SPORT A/S 3 N-SPEC tires in my garage, waiting on new wheels(thnx Ben!) next week. I am so ready to be a menace to society and drive on these sub par tires.
I guess TUDM now will have to be afraid of sharing the road not only with me, but also with those cheap and unsafe bastards driving Panamera's, since this is a Porsche spec tire for that vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 11:04 PM   #22
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Exactly. I'm talking about you two.
Appreciate 0