Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

04-21-2019, 08:46 PM   #1
Tooth
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

What should I do? Too much understeer?

Attached is a pic of my front tires. Is this from too much understeer or is my alignment jacked? I corded the inside of my tires.

Running Ohlins with -2.5 all the way around. Rear wheels look fine.

Not sure what I should do to fix this from happening again.

Chris
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 11:35 AM   #2
MaX PL
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

I had that happen too on my last set of tires. I too run -2.5 and it happened on both my street tires and track tires.

Weird thing was it happened on both front and rear passenger tires and not just both fronts. Did not happen on either driver side tire.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 12:08 PM   #3
MannyM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2, 2001 Honda S2000

what are your toe settings?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 01:13 PM   #4
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Funny, that you post this at exactly the same time I am experiencing the same issue. Looks like you were also on NT01s.

I thought I had maybe 2 - 3 more dry days on my tires until I noticed cording of my front left (after mostly a right turn course, which makes sense). The other three tires are still good. I didn't even initially notice, as I usually look at the outside edge for wear.

Anyways, I'm running 3.2 neg camber and a little toe out. I think this has to do more with the toe out. But also appreciate any thoughts from folks on the forum.
Attached Images

Last edited by dvas; 04-22-2019 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 01:47 PM   #5
wsccsw13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Toe eats tires much more than camber. I’d adjust it first. A good compromised setup for street and track is -2.5 Front, -1.7 Rear camber with neutral to barely toe out up front and barely toe in for the rear.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 04:23 PM   #6
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsccsw13 View Post
Toe eats tires much more than camber. I’d adjust it first. A good compromised setup for street and track is -2.5 Front, -1.7 Rear camber with neutral to barely toe out up front and barely toe in for the rear.
+1

ZCP - Daily Driven Trackster ~ Gone but not Forgotten
1LE - Track Rubber & Garage Dust Collector
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 08:33 PM   #7
Harpinc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi RS3

I'll post pics of my NT01 running -3 to -3.5 camber with now abnormal wear at all. They are now spent.. Hot pressure is 33-34 and I'm using the entire tread.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 05:53 AM   #8
Lappy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C 2018 BMW M4

That seems pretty odd as your camber is not even high. Are you sure the tire isn't rubbing the spring perch? Also a good rule of thumb is to run 1/32 toe out for every degree of camber to reduce scrub. I never really had inside tire wear issue on any car until I started running camber above 4 degrees.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 07:44 PM   #9
Tooth
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyM5 View Post
Quote:
0 toe. Maybe I knocked out the alignment while I was at the track. I do remember hitting a hole off to the side on the track.

Chris
Appreciate 1
Harpinc94.00
      04-24-2019, 02:37 AM   #10
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooth View Post
Quote:
Quote:
0 toe. Maybe I knocked out the alignment while I was at the track. I do remember hitting a hole off to the side on the track.

Chris
Isn't it pretty hard to knock these cars out of alignment.?? I think you would have to hit a pretty deep hole to knock out of whack. These cars are built pretty tough to take it
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 09:02 AM   #11
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:

Chris
Chris, have you tried to see if car will accept more corner entry speed?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 12:05 PM   #12
Tooth
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Quote:

Chris
Chris, have you tried to see if car will accept more corner entry speed?
I get quite a bit of understeer if I enter too fast. As it is I'm definitely at the limit.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 03:56 PM   #13
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I get quite a bit of understeer if I enter too fast. As it is I'm definitely at the limit.

Chris
Any vids, or other data (eg pyrometer readings)
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 10:30 PM   #14
Tooth
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Chris
Any vids, or other data (eg pyrometer readings)
I can post some but I have some news. I took the car to the shop at MSR Houston. The racing car mechanics said my setup was way too low and would induce a ton of oversteer. So they are going to corner balance the car and adjust the suspension to a proper neutral setup. I'll take it for a couple sessions on Sunday to see how it all turns out.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 09:34 AM   #15
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Quote:
I can post some but I have some news. I took the car to the shop at MSR Houston. The racing car mechanics said my setup was way too low and would induce a ton of oversteer. So they are going to corner balance the car and adjust the suspension to a proper neutral setup. I'll take it for a couple sessions on Sunday to see how it all turns out.

Chris
Not sure I follow the race mechanic's logic. Too low? I can understand that rake, camber, toe, etc. can impact car balance but I don't see how lowering the car in general can affect balance to create an understeering situation. Anyways, can't hurt to have it corner balanced, other than the wallet.

Hope it clears up your issue.

I've got an appointment in a few weeks to install new tires on my track wheels and check my alignment with a race shop. I haven't looked at it since I had the car corner balanced last spring. Going to try RE71s this year vs. NT01s. Maybe my toe is out of whack driving in NYC.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 02:33 PM   #16
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Chris
Hi, if your car wasn’t corner balanced when your coil overs were installed, I would personally take that as a red flag.

Also, what’s your basis your selecting that new shop? Do they work on M4 GT4 or aftermarket converted m4 club racer? What are the lap times of cars they setup and how does it compare in their class. And do they have experience working with your suspension?

Hope that you get it resolved and hope these questions are helpful
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 10:08 PM   #17
Tooth
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Chris
Hi, if your car wasn’t corner balanced when your coil overs were installed, I would personally take that as a red flag.

Also, what’s your basis your selecting that new shop? Do they work on M4 GT4 or aftermarket converted m4 club racer? What are the lap times of cars they setup and how does it compare in their class. And do they have experience working with your suspension?

Hope that you get it resolved and hope these questions are helpful
Previous guy that installed the coilovers had no experience with Ohlins and isn't really into Motorsport. The shop I took it to has tons of experience with aftermarket parts in bmws and a host of other care including race cars. They come across as exceptionally knowledgeable so I trust them entirely. I'll be testing the car this weekend and I'll report what Happens.
Attached is a pic of my ride so you can judge the ride height for yourself.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-26-2019, 12:41 PM   #18
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Previous guy that installed the coilovers had no experience with Ohlins and isn't really into Motorsport. The shop I took it to has tons of experience with aftermarket parts in bmws and a host of other care including race cars. They come across as exceptionally knowledgeable so I trust them entirely. I'll be testing the car this weekend and I'll report what Happens.
Attached is a pic of my ride so you can judge the ride height for yourself.
My $0.02 is you need to see lap times of m4 they setup and see how competitive they are in class to judge the shop’s expertise and have them set a benchmark lap in your car using your data logger or transponder so you can work towards that.

Thanks for the pic, I have no basis for commenting. My f80 was stock and I just changed alignment.

As for my current track car, i worked with a shop to use their class record holding spec Miata setup, and have a reference lap from a pro in my data logger that I’m using to bring myself down to the target time for my car. Im not allowed to change the setup until I can hit the target time. That would be my suggestion, so you don’t waste time chasing setup. It’s a bit harder with your car since it isn’t a “spec” car
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2019, 04:37 AM   #19
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and others

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post
Not sure I follow the race mechanic's logic. Too low? I can understand that rake, camber, toe, etc. can impact car balance but I don't see how lowering the car in general can affect balance to create an understeering situation. Anyways, can't hurt to have it corner balanced, other than the wallet.
It is possible. The shocks may set up incorrectly ie someone has just wound the perches down to the bottom, not paid attention to setting up the preload, and is using a shorter spring to get the car low. If that is the case the shock will be operating outside its normal range of function, and be have a reduced range of compression, hitting the bump stops etc. That is a quick way to kill tires on the track and get woeful handling.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 08:39 AM   #20
Tooth
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo mcs View Post
Quote:
It is possible. The shocks may set up incorrectly ie someone has just wound the perches down to the bottom, not paid attention to setting up the preload, and is using a shorter spring to get the car low. If that is the case the shock will be operating outside its normal range of function, and be have a reduced range of compression, hitting the bump stops etc. That is a quick way to kill tires on the track and get woeful handling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo mcs View Post
Quote:
Exactly what I was told. And the perches are all the way down to the bottom.
Appreciate 0