04-25-2019, 03:57 PM   #1
merkaba
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5d

Tow Hitch Codes

Hey All,

I recently installed my stealth hitch, which is great. Ever since the hitch I have the ! warning light in the dash. I'm assuming this is not a coincidence. I don't even know how to check what that message is. Can anyone tell me where to go to read it? I have been waiting for this codemycar company to call me back, and was wondering if I even need to wait for them. I have the bimmercode app + the bluetooth module. They are supposed to be changing the below features. I already have the rear camera zoom enabled, but not too sure where the others are located in the app. If anyone can help that would be great.
  • Park Distance Control (PDC) - Disabled when a trailer is electrically connected
  • Rear Camera Zoom- Enable selectable feature to zoom in on trailer hitch location
  • Stability Controls- Utilized anti-lock brakes to dampen trailer sway in unsafe conditions
  • Trailer Lights - Notification of failure (bulb out) on trailer

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 05:25 PM   #2
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by merkaba View Post
Hey All,

I recently installed my stealth hitch, which is great. Ever since the hitch I have the ! warning light in the dash. I'm assuming this is not a coincidence. I don't even know how to check what that message is. Can anyone tell me where to go to read it? I have been waiting for this codemycar company to call me back, and was wondering if I even need to wait for them. I have the bimmercode app + the bluetooth module. They are supposed to be changing the below features. I already have the rear camera zoom enabled, but not too sure where the others are located in the app. If anyone can help that would be great.
  • Park Distance Control (PDC) - Disabled when a trailer is electrically connected
  • Rear Camera Zoom- Enable selectable feature to zoom in on trailer hitch location
  • Stability Controls- Utilized anti-lock brakes to dampen trailer sway in unsafe conditions

Bummer link reads codes not BimmerCode. And if you have BimmerCode why not just code it yourself. There's an entire cheat sheet that's very detailed.

Not sure what would cause the code. Did you install the oem harness. Maybe it's an issue with that. I had zero errors when I installed my oem set up.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 05:37 PM   #3
merkaba
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Bummer link reads codes not BimmerCode. And if you have BimmerCode why not just code it yourself. There's an entire cheat sheet that's very detailed.

Not sure what would cause the code. Did you install the oem harness. Maybe it's an issue with that. I had zero errors when I installed my oem set up.
Hey, thanks. I never even knew about bimmerlink. I'll grab that and find out what it means. Yes i did use the OEM harness. I checked the cheat sheet on this page and i see nothing about the below list. Did you code these?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 05:50 PM   #4
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Hey, thanks. I never even knew about bimmerlink. I'll grab that and find out what it means. Yes i did use the OEM harness. I checked the cheat sheet on this page and i see nothing about the below list. Did you code these?
First and third don't need to be coded. They're activated through the harness as it's an active harness. Is the harness they gave you oem or no? They have both options of i recall.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 06:39 PM   #5
merkaba
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
First and third don't need to be coded. They're activated through the harness as it's an active harness. Is the harness they gave you oem or no? They have both options of i recall.
Yea i paid a lot more for the OEM harness. I guess i'll wait until my wife gets home with it and check that error and see what it says before i do anything else.
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594140.00
      04-25-2019, 10:34 PM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

You need to flash the trailer module.
Coding via Bimmercode won't do it.
You'll need E-Sys.
I can code it for you, but you get free coding from the hitch company, so better wait for him.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 06:43 AM   #7
merkaba
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
You'll need E-Sys.
I can code it for you, but you get free coding from the hitch company, so better wait for him.
ah, okay. I guess i'll wait

This is the error...i don't even have a trailer hooked up to it right now. Any idea what i could have done wrong? The instructions were pretty straight forward.

Last edited by merkaba; 04-26-2019 at 07:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 07:23 AM   #8
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
You'll need E-Sys.
ah, okay. I guess i'll wait

This is the error...i don't even have a trailer hooked up to it right now. Any idea what i could have done wrong? The instructions were pretty straight forward.
Yeap, just injecting software to the module that what it needed.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 07:38 AM   #9
happydude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 / F15 X5 35d

That code is normal. I got that too after installing my stealth hitch with active harness. It went away after coding.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 08:33 AM   #10
merkaba
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydude View Post
That code is normal. I got that too after installing my stealth hitch with active harness. It went away after coding.
perfect. thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 06:00 PM   #11
3fidddy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i 2017

Sorry to revive this thread but I'm having the exact same issue, is there anyone in particular you guys recommend for coding?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 01:11 PM   #12
slickgt1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M F85

Ben from RG can do it.

I actually need help on this also.

What is the part number you guys are using for the trailer module. My car cannot get this code cleared by Ben or Dealer. Dealer is telling me my car needs the rest of the UK powered hitch stuff, and I'm in the US. They are the ones who sold me the harness and the module. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 03:07 PM   #13
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

There's a whole slew of modules that fit; just go to realoem for part #s. UK/US is not a issue, you just code it with K235 instead of 3AC.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 03:17 PM   #14
slickgt1
Private First Class
Rep

yes, apparently this is something my dealer cannot do. And I am super afraid to make this my first coding task. I have the cable.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 06:42 PM   #15
smyles
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickgt1 View Post
yes, apparently this is something my dealer cannot do. And I am super afraid to make this my first coding task. I have the cable.
I'm confused: you bought harness & module from a US dealer, but they can't code it?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 08:19 PM   #16
TheMane
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

The dealer 100% should be able to code it. In ISTA they can select the K235 retrofit from "conversions" as instructed on page 12 of their own installation guide: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...0&d=1520796428.

If the dealer did the install they should have done the coding as part of it. If they didn't do the install, they should still be able to do it for you (they may charge you an arm and a leg). I'd call up another dealer if you have one nearby.

If you can manage it, doing the coding yourself via ESYS (instead of ISTA) is not too bad (if a little scary). You need a windows laptop, an ENET cable, and a copy of ESYS. You can see my brief notes on doing this here in my other post: https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26338992
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 08:54 AM   #17
slickgt1
Private First Class
Rep

Ty for that. I feel like I’ve been on an epic mission with this.

So the main reason I’m too anxious to do myself is because Ben@ RG sport couldn’t do it. But he did say that he hasn’t done it in a while and he did have issues with his laptop. So......, made me feel like I will not be able to do it myself.

The dealer. I don’t know what they smoke. They cannot seem to code anything I ask. This last task is actually stunning. The literal first thing they said to me is that my car is looking for the motorized hitch and I need to buy the rest of it. I literally told them this would be the last time they see me if they continue down this line of bullshit. I purchased the harness and tow module from this dealer by giving them the retrofit kit instructions, and them giving me the two parts to the tune of $300. Now all of a sudden need a $2000 motorized hitch. Like wtf.

After that, they all of a sudden realize that the motorized hitch is euro only, and they have never actually seen it in life. I have. Lol. Now they waiting for bmw NA to respond why my car I looking for the motorized version. Because the coding is telling it so, but they don’t listen to me.

I have given this dealer all the info I found online regarding the trailer coding. But I think it is futile. They could not code comfort access any options for me, which Ben did in 3 minutes. They couldn’t adjust my air suspension to make my car not lean half an inch on the driver side when parked. They instead got the manager to write me some crazy shit how it’s supposed to do that. What? Took me 10 min dicking around with friends ISTA (he moved to Europe). Guess what. My 130k car doesn’t look like it’s been shot in one leg.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 01:01 PM   #18
smyles
Major
Rep

It's likely he used e-sys w/o launcher and thus couldn't inject CAFD file(s) that contain coding info.

Re dealer, they just go by the book where one of the steps is to initialize the hitch, which is specific to the EU motorized one. If you have ISTA, you can see it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 06:12 PM   #19
TheMane
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

Reading between the lines a little it doesn’t sound like money is the issue here, so if you really don’t want to do it yourself I think maybe you should just have the folks at https://codemycar.com do it remotely.

I think they charge around $250 but as far as I can tell from other posts they always get it right.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 09:00 AM   #20
slickgt1
Private First Class
Rep

SaNGRia Did it guys. Took him whole two minutes to remove the 3ac and 8sl. Coded the correct parameters and error gone. Took him 40 more minutes to fix all the other coding bmw decided I didn’t need anymore.

Dealer made this issue infinitely worse. Easiest $100 I ever parted with and it went to a great guy who knows his shit.
Appreciate 1
SaNGRia986.00
      02-18-2022, 02:09 PM   #21
TheLaw
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickgt1 View Post
SaNGRia Did it guys. Took him whole two minutes to remove the 3ac and 8sl. Coded the correct parameters and error gone. Took him 40 more minutes to fix all the other coding bmw decided I didn’t need anymore.

Dealer made this issue infinitely worse. Easiest $100 I ever parted with and it went to a great guy who knows his shit.
I have a similar issue with my '15 F15. Tried two different OEM modules and OEM harnesses. In both cases, the left turning light and fog lamps presented errors. Does anyone have Sangria's contact info?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 02:16 PM   #22
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaw View Post
I have a similar issue with my '15 F15. Tried two different OEM modules and OEM harnesses. In both cases, the left turning light and fog lamps presented errors. Does anyone have Sangria's contact info?
SaNGRia
Appreciate 1
SaNGRia986.00