BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions
View Poll Results: MDCT OWNERS ONLY!!! Do you regret getting MDCT? (your name will be shown)
No, I love the MDCT. If had a second chance, I'll still get it. 117 73.58%
Yes, getting the MDCT was a mistake. I'd go for a 6MT next time. 42 26.42%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

08-10-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
synclastica_86
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F32 435i, E92 M3, S550

Garage List
MDCT... a mistake?

The decision for me to get the M3 was simple. It was in the right price range given its capability. The high reving engne sealed the deal. I've been reading comments on both transmissions and it seems like opinions are half-half.

Okay, so here's the thing. I really want to hear from the MDCT owners out there. How's life with paddle shifters? If you were given a second chance, will you change your mind and go for 6MT?

I've still got some time to decide. Help me out, THANX!

Current: BMW F32 435iA M-Sports; BMW E92 M3, M-DCT; Mercedes W221 S550 4matic; Ford Fiesta ST; Nissan Silvia S15 Spec-R
Retired: BMW E93 323iA; BMW E85 Z4 3.0i, SMG; Lexus IS 250 AWD; Lexus GX 470; Mercedes W203 C230 Sportscoupe; Peugeot 206 S16; Peugeot 206 RC
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

Dude no way. MDCT is awesome because it drives like a manual. You can feel and hear the clutches doing their thing. Oh and it's amazingly fast. No regrets. No DCT owner will say they wish they had MT, but I bet you can find at least one MT owner that wishes they had DCT. Enough said.

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
xsilvor
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

Mdctftw....ftmfw!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsilvor View Post
Mdctftw....ftmfw!
      08-10-2008, 07:54 PM   #5
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

So far I will stick with no stick, M-DCT.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 08:13 PM   #6
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
mdct ftw.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 08:19 PM   #7
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

MDCT....FTMFL!!!!!

(flame suit on)

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 08:20 PM   #8
moog55
Major
United_States
Rep

mdct all the way

6mt = safe, old school, boring
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 08:28 PM   #9
synclastica_86
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F32 435i, E92 M3, S550

Garage List
What abt all those negative posts? Software problems, wrong fluid causing tramission swap, and so on?

Current: BMW F32 435iA M-Sports; BMW E92 M3, M-DCT; Mercedes W221 S550 4matic; Ford Fiesta ST; Nissan Silvia S15 Spec-R
Retired: BMW E93 323iA; BMW E85 Z4 3.0i, SMG; Lexus IS 250 AWD; Lexus GX 470; Mercedes W203 C230 Sportscoupe; Peugeot 206 S16; Peugeot 206 RC
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 08:44 PM   #10
onehogwild
Registered
Rep

Well I'm new to this site, and speaking of new, my 08 M3 coupe with DCT just arrived Saturday; obviously I was so excited to get to the dealership. The beast wasn't detailed but I had to take it for a drive before leaving town (I can pick it up when I return next weekend).... So I completed the paperwork, gave them a deposit, and took it for a spin.

I figured, like many, that the so called "lag" issue I read (minimally) about was due to the driver and not due to the technology (hey, we're talking BMW technology here). Had I done more research before purchasing the car, like view this site, I would have had more knowledge of the issue being experienced by more than just a few. Nevertheless, I chose DCT. Well, with 40 miles under my belt, I was tremendously impressed with the car, including DCT, in every respect except one; when accelerating from a dead stop there was tremendous lag. Quite frankly, I have never experienced such lag in my life. I truly believe that off the line, my IS 350 would jump a half-car length ahead of my M3, only to be subsequently smoked from that point (oh, I'm sure that comment will generate some discussion, but I believe it to be true). I've owned performance cars, including Porsches and BMWs -- so I am surprisingly disappointed with the off line acceleration. Perhaps with break-in miles, the responsiveness will improve, but I'm not so sure after reading other complaints. So, with 40 miles under my belt, I took the car back to the dealer and left it there to be detailed.

Quite honestly, I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm not sure that I want to spend $70M on such a tremendous car that unfortunately, without engaging launch control, may continue to provide less than responsive acceleration off the line??? She’s got miles on her now, and the dealer has my non-refundable deposit, but if they’ll apply that to a manual transmission car, I think I may have to pass on the DCT…
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 08:45 PM   #11
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCTFTW View Post
Dude no way. MDCT is awesome because it drives like a manual. You can feel and hear the clutches doing their thing. Oh and it's amazingly fast. No regrets. No DCT owner will say they wish they had MT, but I bet you can find at least one MT owner that wishes they had DCT. Enough said.
Well said!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 08:45 PM   #12
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
$70M M3? And I thought California had huge markups!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 08:47 PM   #13
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehogwild View Post
Well I'm new to this site, and speaking of new, my 08 M3 coupe with DTC just arrived Saturday; obviously I was so excited to get to the dealership. The beast wasn't detailed but I had to take it for a drive before leaving town (I can pick it up when I return next weekend).... So I completed the paperwork, gave them a deposit, and took it for a spin.

I figured, like many, that the so called "lag" issue I read (minimally) about was due to the driver and not due to the technology (hey, we're talking BMW technology here). Had I done more research before purchasing the car, like view this site, I would have had more knowledge of the issue being experienced by more than just a few. Nevertheless, I chose DCT. Well, with 40 miles under my belt, I was tremendously impressed with the car, including DCT, in every respect except one; when accelerating from a dead stop there was tremendous lag. Quite frankly, I have never experienced such lag in my life. I truly believe that off the line, my IS 350 would jump a half-car length ahead of my M3, only to be subsequently smoked from that point (oh, I'm sure that comment will generate some discussion, but I believe it to be true). I've owned performance cars, including Porsches and BMWs -- so I am surprisingly disappointed with the off line acceleration. Perhaps with break-in miles, the responsiveness will improve, but I'm not so sure after reading other complaints. So, with 40 miles under my belt, I took the car back to the dealer and left it there to be detailed.

Quite honestly, I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm not sure that I want to spend $70M on such a tremendous car that unfortunately, without engaging launch control, may continue to provide less than responsive acceleration off the line??? She’s got miles on her now, and the dealer has my non-refundable deposit, but if they’ll apply that to a manual transmission car, I think I may have to pass on the DCT…
Not sure why you are having such an issue. The clutch has to engage, be in 1st, max shift speed, and power button pressed. Starting from a stop is extremely quick for me... without the power button and on the lower shift settings I can feel the clutch being gradually applied from a stop (the so called lag).
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 09:11 PM   #14
Captain Scott
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by synclastica_86 View Post
What abt all those negative posts? Software problems, wrong fluid causing tramission swap, and so on?
No big deal here, even though I had a software problem with the car that went back to the dealer, I just ordered an 09 with the DCT.

I am willing to take another chance with it. The fix will be out by mid Sept from what I understand.

Scott
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 09:11 PM   #15
ikos
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: subaru wrx sti

Quote:
Originally Posted by moog55 View Post
mdct all the way

6mt = safe, old school, boring

a true drivers car should have a manual transmission, there is nothing like the feeling of a perfect heel and toe downshift!!

nothing safe or boring about having skill!!

letting a computer drive for you is safe and boring!!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 09:13 PM   #16
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehogwild View Post
Well I'm new to this site, and speaking of new, my 08 M3 coupe with DCT just arrived Saturday; obviously I was so excited to get to the dealership. The beast wasn't detailed but I had to take it for a drive before leaving town (I can pick it up when I return next weekend).... So I completed the paperwork, gave them a deposit, and took it for a spin.

I love my DCT... I have posted a few times on owners so called lag issues off of the line. The lag off of the line is directly related to DCT settings and throttle settings. Basically you are waiting for the clutch to engage. I have also stated that the throttle by wire system is a lot like an aircrafts fly by wire system. Basically the computer manipulates the throttle based upon your inputs and how it thinks you want the power delivered. With all the sportiest modes set and the throttle to the floor your not going to get any so called lag. Thats how these things post 4.1sec 0-60 which your IS is not capable of. After 40mi you need to go back and experiment some. Have some fun in a parking lot experimenting with the throttle and DCT settings. Also experiment with throttle control. It is not a linear throttle. At lower speeds more movement is required. The computer is thinking you only want to make small inputs with power and is providing a lot of throttle movement to help with control in tight spaces. However, be careful if you get frustrated and input too much throttle too quickly the computer will revert back to a more sensitive default and give you more power than you want. Basically you need to experiment here and understand that this DCT tranny is a new wonderful beast that cannot be treated like a true auto or a true 6MT.

Bottom line, the DCT is tranny awesome and a marvel in engineering. Once you understand how to best utilize it, you will fall in love all over again!!!

Jason

Last edited by JEllis; 08-11-2008 at 12:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 09:20 PM   #17
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Do you really think anyone who owns DCT would EVER admit they don't like it.
Sure if it sucks ... but it doesn't.

To the OP try to get a test ride in one that is past break-in. Any doubts will be gone. There are no real issues with the transmission that I've heard of. Just some "lag" hoopla from people that don't quite understand what the transmission is doing. Shit, I want to go out and drive now. See ya!

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 09:21 PM   #18
Ken.T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by synclastica_86 View Post
The decision for me to get the M3 was simple. It was in the right price range given its capability. The high reving engne sealed the deal. I've been reading comments on both transmissions and it seems like opinions are half-half.

Okay, so here's the thing. I really want to hear from the MDCT owners out there. How's life with paddle shifters? If you were given a second chance, will you change your mind and go for 6MT?

I've still got some time to decide. Help me out, THANX!
If you think you can't drive 6MT really really well then get M-DCT...
Otherwires you can only drive your car 80%.!!!
      08-10-2008, 09:36 PM   #19
RealSanaii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikos View Post
a true drivers car should have a manual transmission, there is nothing like the feeling of a perfect heel and toe downshift!!

nothing safe or boring about having skill!!

letting a computer drive for you is safe and boring!!
Ahh geez.. another argument about 'computer system'

How many gizmos do you think the traditional manual has anyways?
      08-10-2008, 09:37 PM   #20
RealSanaii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Do you really think anyone who owns DCT would EVER admit they don't like it.
Same applys to 6mt.

Do you really think any 6MT owners would actually admit that they would rather get the DCT?
      08-10-2008, 09:45 PM   #21
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 w/DCT

DCT M-Mode Question

My CA told me that an M3 w/DCT when the M-button is pushed can only be shifted with the paddles or manually with the shift lever (ie, no D or "automatic" mode). For those of you that have one, is that true?

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
For jpg's: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=186382&page=4
Traded: 2007 335i E93
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 09:48 PM   #22
RealSanaii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-BMW View Post
My CA told me that an M3 w/DCT when the M-button is pushed can only be shifted with the paddles or manually with the shift lever (ie, no D or "automatic" mode). For those of you that have one, is that true?
It will still downshift for you when you are comming to a stop. Other than that, YOU will tell when to shift.

Also, M-button doesnt matter since you can program it to be on D mode. Stupid CA's. He meant if the car is on S mode, it will not automatically shift.