EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-21-2019, 01:22 PM   #1
jd__m4
Captain
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Oil pan damaged by rock, but engine seems ok - what should I watch for?

So due to some heavy rain and flooding, one of the roads here flooded out and pushed a bunch of rocks/debris into the road. While driving and attempt to navigate around the rocks, I passed over one, which caused some undercarriage damage. My oil pressure warning went off and I pulled off the road and shut down the car.

I got towed to the dealer, and just got the estimate today. The dealer said there looks to be no engine damage due to starvation or anything, but I cracked the oil pan, as well as the rear diff oil pan. Along with some undercarriage shielding, and the front bumper cover.

I don't believe the engine ran dry at any point- I didn't experience any knocking or anything, and when the car got up on the flatbed, there was a decent sized puddle of oil where I parked it.

I'm awaiting the repairs to get underway and should have it back hopefully in 1-2 weeks. I'm unsure if the dealer will flush the oil or anything, but my thoughts were to do an oil change right away, and then another after a week or two, and check for any irregularities.

Anything I should be concerned with, or look out for, both in the short term and long term with the engine?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 02:21 PM   #2
FirstF80InSpace
///M You
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman S

As long as you pulled over right away when the light came on, you should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 02:27 PM   #3
ljzimm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 Volvo V70 R M66

Took out the front bumper cover, undercovers, oil pan, and diff pan but somehow your oil cooler made it unscathed??

I'd have them triple check that if you haven't already.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25144.00
RickFLM410987.00
      06-21-2019, 03:56 PM   #4
jd__m4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljzimm View Post
Took out the front bumper cover, undercovers, oil pan, and diff pan but somehow your oil cooler made it unscathed??

I'd have them triple check that if you haven't already.
I will! Unfortunately it was too far to bring to you guys 😑
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 10:29 AM   #5
ljzimm
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeamgrewt View Post
I will! Unfortunately it was too far to bring to you guys 😑
No worries, I know how it goes!! If you need any help going through the process don't hesitate to reach out to me and I'll help however I can
Appreciate 1
THEROK1267.50
      06-24-2019, 11:01 AM   #6
jd__m4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljzimm View Post
No worries, I know how it goes!! If you need any help going through the process don't hesitate to reach out to me and I'll help however I can

As an update, I spoke to the dealer this morning about the oil cooler and he said there wasn't any damage- in fact, there wasn't any damage to the bumper. There were some scrapes on the underside of the bumper and a few on the lower lip portion, however I had already seen some there. He said it doesn't look like the rock hit the bumper at all, but the adjuster basically said let's replace it anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 12:17 PM   #7
ljzimm
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeamgrewt View Post

As an update, I spoke to the dealer this morning about the oil cooler and he said there wasn't any damage- in fact, there wasn't any damage to the bumper. There were some scrapes on the underside of the bumper and a few on the lower lip portion, however I had already seen some there. He said it doesn't look like the rock hit the bumper at all, but the adjuster basically said let's replace it anyway.
Excellent news!!
Appreciate 0