proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

07-09-2019, 10:27 AM   #1
NinjaBum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Java Green F80

Are there Maintenance or Extended Warranty Options For Lease Transfers?

Hi all, I'm about to be at stage 3 of the lease assumption process with BMW and I was curious as to whether you have any option to purchase maintenance plans or extended warranty at all in this situation. Is that just for new/used/cpo from BMW dealers or might I be able to get any of this?

Not a deal breaker if not and the car is pretty new, but just seeing what options I might have.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 10:49 AM   #2
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M3 ZCP / '20 X3 M40i

Warranty and maintenance are two different things.

New cars MAINTENANCE plans - new cars come with 3/36k maintenance covered for some items - original owners only.
Used or CPO MAINTENANCE plans - If you buy used within first 3yrs/36k, it costs $100 for maintenance "refresh" to transfer the maintenance plan to new owner. You can add $600 upgrade to cover more wear and tear items BEYOND original free maintenance plan that comes with new cars (still during 3/36). Pricing might be negotiable, there is a large dealer margin.

You can add more maintenance past 3/36 for like $1000-1500 per year. Doesn't seem worth it. Ask the dealer on actual pricing.

That covers maintenance.

For warranty...it's simple:
All cars come with 4/50k (transfers to all owners)
CPO is specific thing. It extends it by another 1 yr (unlimited miles).

You can buy from MANY options as far as "extended warranty" - it's not a warranty anymore but a "service contract". they cost multiple $1000s and only cover what's in the contract (fine print) AND you aren't protected by warranty consumer laws. BMW offers their own 'extended warranty' - it's usually expensive.

I blew M engines twice (E46 and E60) due to defects in manufacturing and extended warranties saved me 6 figures in repairs. So, you need to decide if it's worth it vs. risk of catastrophic failure.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 12:11 PM   #3
NinjaBum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Java Green F80

So would I be able to buy BMWs extended coverage whenever? Or is that just a one time thing when you purchase a vehicle directly from them?

Am I able to refresh maintenance assuming this lease from the first owner? Or is that only an option if purchasing used/CPO from a dealer?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 09:11 AM   #4
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keca10 View Post
Warranty and maintenance are two different things.

New cars MAINTENANCE plans - new cars come with 3/36k maintenance covered for some items - original owners only.
Used or CPO MAINTENANCE plans - If you buy used within first 3yrs/36k, it costs $100 for maintenance "refresh" to transfer the maintenance plan to new owner. You can add $600 upgrade to cover more wear and tear items BEYOND original free maintenance plan that comes with new cars (still during 3/36). Pricing might be negotiable, there is a large dealer margin.

You can add more maintenance past 3/36 for like $1000-1500 per year. Doesn't seem worth it. Ask the dealer on actual pricing.

That covers maintenance.

For warranty...it's simple:
All cars come with 4/50k (transfers to all owners)
CPO is specific thing. It extends it by another 1 yr (unlimited miles).

You can buy from MANY options as far as "extended warranty" - it's not a warranty anymore but a "service contract". they cost multiple $1000s and only cover what's in the contract (fine print) AND you aren't protected by warranty consumer laws. BMW offers their own 'extended warranty' - it's usually expensive.

I blew M engines twice (E46 and E60) due to defects in manufacturing and extended warranties saved me 6 figures in repairs. So, you need to decide if it's worth it vs. risk of catastrophic failure.
Who did you buy your extended warranty from? Was it from BMW?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 03:44 PM   #5
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Who did you buy your extended warranty from? Was it from BMW?
United Auto Care (UAC) for the M5. UAC is owned by Penske Auto Group, same parent company as my local dealer. (so I expected them to play better together vs. a random warranty)

and...

Zurich for X5 M

Both did alright after some push and pull. Service advisors need to fight for you.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 03:48 PM   #6
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaBum View Post
So would I be able to buy BMWs extended coverage whenever? Or is that just a one time thing when you purchase a vehicle directly from them?

Am I able to refresh maintenance assuming this lease from the first owner? Or is that only an option if purchasing used/CPO from a dealer?

it doesn't matter where you buy the car.

You can extend either one anytime as long as existing warranty / maintenance periods are active. It's often a little cheaper and you have more options for third part extended warranties if you buy them while factory warranty is in effect. Best to actually call your dealer to see how they sell and offer these as they could vary by location.
Appreciate 0