BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

07-31-2019, 09:34 PM   #1
TXStar
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650I Gran Coupe M Sport

Garage List
Injector misfire

No codes, no messages on I-drive but noticed car wasn't running right. Out of the blue, I had what I'd call lifter clicking. It was definitely noticeable as you accelerated and was also idling poorly. Even though no codes or messages, I took it to the Dealer and they said a fuel injector came off or came loose, I don't remember exactly how they put it. I bought this car with 49K miles and interior and exterior matched miles, Super clean. Right after I bought it a light came on and there was an issue with a catalytic converter that dealer replaced under warranty. This is all I know about any past issues this car has had. When dealer was diagnosing and repairing this current issue with injector; they told me someone had previously replaced the injector with an aftermarket one and it was missing the decoupler. The dealer had told me if it comes off again, I will need to replace the engine because it will probably mess up the head and it would be cheaper to get a new engine than to redo a head. With that info, I'm worried that it will come off again as they mentioned was a possibility, and you know what they said I would be up against if that happened. First off, what would you all suspect would cause the previous owner to have one injector go bad? Why they would use aftermarket instead of OEM I will never know and fail to put on a part I have no idea. Has anyone experienced anything like this? At first, I was told all the parts relating to the lifter clicking sound is covered by an extended warranty thing from BMW but I guess when they saw aftermarket part that kicked that idea to the curb. Do injectors just pop off or come loose? Or did my service advisor just use wrong terminology with me? After all this then the dealers mechanics or lot guys scraped the front passenger side about a 6" scrape on right fender to light housing then above that 2 parallel scratches (through the paint to metal) about 3 inches long a piece. I took my car to them detailed with no scratches and then picked it up spotted with scratches. It had just sprinkled earlier in the day when I went to pick it up. The night after I brought it home I detailed it since I hate it dirty, much to my dismay. While at dealership my extended warranty said I had basic coverage but I bought the platinum coverage so I'm assuming the breakdown was between the third party non-BMW dealer and the extended warranty people. I couldn't get anyone to return my calls from the non-BMW dealer, once the sale was made I don't exist to them anymore. I'm fighting this also. I didn't buy it from a BMW dealer, so I guess that was my first mistake. Not to lose sight of my original question, I'm just ranting and appreciate any thoughts or experiences similar or just good info I could use regarding this in the future. I was certain I was told it was injector #3 but the invoice shows injector #4. Just curious if anyone has heard anything like this or experienced it themselves.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 11:28 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

You probably won't find a similar experience here since it's obvious that at some point your car was worked on by an incompetent person. I do question that this caused so much damage that it might happen again, or may require a new head/engine. But I have not removed a fuel injector on one these to see what the mating surfaces are or how such damage could even be possible. You might ask the person who told you that the exact nature of the damage. Somebody here may have replaced and injector and can weigh in.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 01:36 PM   #3
jjasonSU
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 650i, NSX

I'd question what the dealer is saying
Show me the aftermarket injector
How do you jump from an injector to saying my whole engine is probably bad? Before it even happens...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 06:27 PM   #4
murph914
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjasonSU View Post
How do you jump from an injector to saying my whole engine is probably bad? Before it even happens...
Yup. Get someone else to look at this and get their opinion stat. Anyone know a good independent shop near the OP? "Just replace the engine" is a little too serious for someone to just throw out there for a bad injector.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 11:59 PM   #5
TXStar
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks guys that's what I was thinking. I'm in DFW.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 12:07 AM   #6
jjasonSU
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 650i, NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph914 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjasonSU View Post
Yup. Get someone else to look at this and get their opinion stat. Anyone know a good independent shop near the OP? "Just replace the engine" is a little too serious for someone to just throw out there for a bad injector.
Yes I am in Dallas as well check out ultimate Bimmer service in Addison off of Arapaho
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2019, 01:15 PM   #7
TXStar
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks I will do. It's nice to have alternatives, for second opinions, etc.
Appreciate 0