BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

08-15-2008, 08:21 AM   #1
Mr.AK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 e92

DCT Downshifting

Yesterday I read yet another piece of information about THE BREAK IN PERIOD that shocked me! "DCT Downshifting is TERRIBLE during the break-in period." Straight off the bat, this sounds like an old wives tail if i've ever heard one! The statement was someone concerning thou b/c i downshifted many times when come to a stop during my break-in many months ago (mostly to prevent break dust on my newly polished 19"). We were told,"Keep it in the 0-5.5K RMP range at a varity of speeds, under and there's not much more to worry about. " Either way, i could care less (after the fact) cuz the engine runs like gold!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 08:30 AM   #2
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

Downshifting in such a way that your tach reading will exceed the 5500 RPM break-in guidelines.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 10:00 AM   #3
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.AK View Post
Yesterday I read yet another piece of information about THE BREAK IN PERIOD that shocked me! "DCT Downshifting is TERRIBLE during the break-in period." Straight off the bat, this sounds like an old wives tail if i've ever heard one! The statement was someone concerning thou b/c i downshifted many times when come to a stop during my break-in many months ago (mostly to prevent break dust on my newly polished 19"). We were told,"Keep it in the 0-5.5K RMP range at a varity of speeds, under and there's not much more to worry about. " Either way, i could care less (after the fact) cuz the engine runs like gold!
pretty sure that the concern is high rev-matching.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Yeah that was a reply to my thread that doesnt make sense. His point was that not only did I break the 5500 RPM limit (it was accident on my part) but I also loaded up the engine to slow the car down. Basically I broke the RPM limit before 1200mi and put a heavy load on the engine. I think this was his logic. However, both are good for the engine over its life for seals setting blah blah blah..... Point being that logically it makes sense but after 500mi of driving I dont think it hurt anything. My guess it the 1200mi break-in period is like any manufacturer guidline... very conservative

All in all I have stayed below 5500 RPM 99.8% of the time....

Jason