BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

08-16-2008, 07:11 PM   #1
darkalley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Gone- 08 DCT SSII, 2006 SMG
Location: Current: 2014 BMW 4-Series Convert for the fiance w M Package, F150, 06 S2000, 08 911 c4s

Is your dct lag this bad?

i know everyone has the dct lag but here is how bad mine is. I am at a standstill and mash the pedal. It takes about 1.5 seconds before the pedal tells the car to go (no matter what the setting). is everyone's lag this bad?
      08-16-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
Ronin13
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, RRS Supercharged, S2K

If I'm very aggressive with the throttle standing still, it feels like the car lets the revs build and then dumps the clutch. Rolling onto the throttle from a standing start, it feels the same to me as when I let off the clutch and add throttle on a 6mt. If I want to get moving quickly from rest, I roll into the throttle before letting off the brake with my left foot and apply power aggressively after the clutch engages.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 08:38 PM   #3
Ronin13
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, RRS Supercharged, S2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but the 6MT has NO lag... it never did, and never will.

Drop the clutch the car goes. When I had my e92 335i with steptronic, there was massive lag at throttle start. So much so it would scare the shit out of me when I pulled out in front of traffic - and the car just sat there for a second then launched... and sure... I made it through, but not feeling so cool about it.

But yeah, don't say the 6MT has lag... because it doesn't and I have a feeling you're saying that to make yourself feel better about the problems with DCT. Don't mislead readers.
Not taking it the wrong way. This is the only place I relate the experience to a manual car. "Rolling onto the throttle from a standing start, it feels the same to me as when I let off the clutch and add throttle on a 6mt." Didn't say there was a 6mt lag.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 01:22 AM   #4
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

Eh, 335i ZF transmission does not lag on startup. Never an issue, throttle response may not be as smooth as a non aspirated engine, but never that issue over here.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 01:46 AM   #5
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

I am seriously sick of these threads,

No the lag is not that bad. You dont have your settings set up correctly, your car is broken, or your perception is messed up.

Jason
      08-17-2008, 01:48 AM   #6
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post

Jason
+1,000,000!!
      08-17-2008, 01:51 AM   #7
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
oh yah i heard it's horrible. my friend started the car last tuesday and it still hasnt shifted.

bmw crowd whines like no oddah
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 03:37 AM   #8
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Jason et al -> there are two effects here

The responce of a DCT car is very different from a dead stop depending on how fast you actually floor the gas pedal. The transmission control has to distinguish between the need to take off instantly, i.e. begin slipping the clutch as soon as the pedal is touched vs. a "soft" launch mode. To do the latter it take some rev building and "thought" by the ECU/TCU and those can result in some lag. This is NOT lag between paddle actuation and the beginning of the first clutching operation during upshifting, it is a totally separate issue.

The solution is simple - if you want to drag you need to use LC. Read my other posts on this. The system can not be much smarter or better than it is. It is up to the user. If you want to smoke the MT guy, us LC, if you can accept a launch lag just floor it. If you want to take of quick but at any pace slightly less than full LC just floor it a bit slower. The choices are abound. Learn your new technology and take advantage of it.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 08:12 AM   #9
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Jason et al -> there are two effects here

The responce of a DCT car is very different from a dead stop depending on how fast you actually floor the gas pedal. The transmission control has to distinguish between the need to take off instantly, i.e. begin slipping the clutch as soon as the pedal is touched vs. a "soft" launch mode. To do the latter it take some rev building and "thought" by the ECU/TCU and those can result in some lag. This is NOT lag between paddle actuation and the beginning of the first clutching operation during upshifting, it is a totally separate issue.

The solution is simple - if you want to drag you need to use LC. Read my other posts on this. The system can not be much smarter or better than it is. It is up to the user. If you want to smoke the MT guy, us LC, if you can accept a launch lag just floor it. If you want to take of quick but at any pace slightly less than full LC just floor it a bit slower. The choices are abound. Learn your new technology and take advantage of it.

very well put...you guys have to realize that with dct your not using an automatic trans where you can just mash the pedal and the power is instantly there. you still have clutches...the clutches still need to engage and to determine how hard to engage depending on how you hit the pedal. the benefit of dct isnt from a dead stop...its after 1st gear.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 08:30 AM   #10
Hammer
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW

Reading all these "lag"-topics i just tried it myself and also mentioned the lag, itīs realy about ~ .5 sec but is just noticeable for me if i want to notice it. while daily driving i dont feel any kind of lag.

i drove the porsche boxster before and it was a automatic transmission with a really noticeable and annoying lag... that nearly made me buying the 6mt but i gave the dct a chance... and it was no misstake, the lag is really not noticeable when you drive and concentrate at the whole driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 09:12 AM   #11
darkalley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Location: Current: 2014 BMW 4-Series Convert for the fiance w M Package, F150, 06 S2000, 08 911 c4s

Quote:

No the lag is not that bad. You dont have your settings set up correctly, your car is broken, or your perception is messed up.

Jason
My question was to see if my lag was like your lag or vice versabefore i bring it to the dealer.... Yes if I use LC there is no lag, yes if I go from a rolling start there is no lag but regardless of setup my car has a really annoying lag from a standstill. When you say your lag is not that bad, I assume you still have some type of lag?
      08-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #12
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkalley View Post
My question was to see if my lag was like your lag or vice versabefore i bring it to the dealer.... Yes if I use LC there is no lag, yes if I go from a rolling start there is no lag but regardless of setup my car has a really annoying lag from a standstill. When you say your lag is not that bad, I assume you still have some type of lag?
Read Swamps post. The problem is that a lot of new DCT owners are treating their DCT like its an automatic transmission or they treat it like a 6MT. Obviously its neither, you need to understand what is going on under your a$$ in order to drive the car correctly. Its just a different beast with its own set of rules. Go to a parking lot or take some long drives and experiment. I have posted many times on the non-linear throttle by wire system as well as the effects the various modes have on the DCT.

Jason
      08-17-2008, 02:25 PM   #13
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but the 6MT has NO lag... it never did, and never will.

Drop the clutch the car goes. When I had my e92 335i with steptronic, there was massive lag at throttle start. So much so it would scare the shit out of me when I pulled out in front of traffic - and the car just sat there for a second then launched... and sure... I made it through, but not feeling so cool about it.

But yeah, don't say the 6MT has lag... because it doesn't and I have a feeling you're saying that to make yourself feel better about the problems with DCT. Don't mislead readers.
Especially on Turbos. I used to have 1.8T Passat, and man, I thought I was about to commit suicide so many times. Scarrrrryyy
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 05:57 PM   #14
enigma
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise

Quote:
Read Swamps post. The problem is that a lot of new DCT owners are treating their DCT like its an automatic transmission or they treat it like a 6MT. Obviously its neither, you need to understand what is going on under your a$$ in order to drive the car correctly. Its just a different beast with its own set of rules. Go to a parking lot or take some long drives and experiment. I have posted many times on the non-linear throttle by wire system as well as the effects the various modes have on the DCT.

Jason
You are starting to sound like me.

There is no lag problem if you drive the car correctly.
      08-17-2008, 06:08 PM   #15
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
As a former DSG owner and one with a turbo I can tell you that the M3 does need more of a shove with the throttle than was present on my GTI. It was only a problem that frist time I pulled away from the stop sign, after that I knew how much throttle to give.

Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 06:13 PM   #16
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

Sounds bad, return it.

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 10:01 AM   #17
darkalley
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
You are starting to sound like me.

There is no lag problem if you drive the car correctly.
This is what I am looking for...What is the correct way to floor the car from a standstill and eliminate the lag? I am doing something wrong because if I am at a dead stop and floor it there is a 1-1.5 second lag before the pedal tells the car to go. Aside from a rolling start what settings eliminate this and allow instant acceleration from a standstill?