ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

06-14-2019, 10:35 AM   #1
Boostin FD
Bored all the time
United_States
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

Why are GTS prices falling?

So, I'm curious about something... Why is this model tanking so bad? They are mostly around 80k range right now (I have 3 in my town, all used... 1 at the BMW and 2 at the non-bmw Dealer).

I'm looking at manheim report and it shows it at 72k... which is what dealers would buy it for. Which means, when the time comes to trade it in, the most they will offer you is 65-67k, tops!

I rarely buy cars from the dealer, mainly for this reason... Either way, I'm still curious as to why such a huge depreciation so quick... it's only 3 years old... shouldn't have depreciated, nearly 50%, in that time frame.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 10:53 AM   #2
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin FD View Post
So, I'm curious about something... Why is this model tanking so bad? They are mostly around 80k range right now (I have 3 in my town, all used... 1 at the BMW and 2 at the non-bmw Dealer).

I'm looking at manheim report and it shows it at 72k... which is what dealers would buy it for. Which means, when the time comes to trade it in, the most they will offer you is 65-67k, tops!

I rarely buy cars from the dealer, mainly for this reason... Either way, I'm still curious as to why such a huge depreciation so quick... it's only 3 years old... shouldn't have depreciated, nearly 50%, in that time frame.
I think it has much to do with the American track car market. Extended thoughts here https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=246

Now that I own one, I'd add that the target market for the GTS is even more limited than your GT350R, Grand Sport, etc. audience that might use their cars as dual purpose. I know some guys daily it but my perspective -- GTS really only belongs on a track as compared to alternatives. Europeans get it (prices are much higher), Americans don't.

But it's about to be the only and last track-focused rwd M car to ever hit the states. The people who own them have distinctly different opinions than those who read magazines. There are 20-30 fs in the whole country? Speculate that price momentum will shift at some point, but don't really care. Probably will stay a part of my garage long-term. I stare at it pretty often.

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 11:13 AM   #3
Boostin FD
Bored all the time
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
I think it has much to do with the American track car market. Extended thoughts here https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=246

Now that I own one, I'd add that the target market for the GTS is even more limited than your GT350R, Grand Sport, etc. audience that might use their cars as dual purpose. I know some guys daily it but my perspective -- GTS really only belongs on a track as compared to alternatives. Europeans get it (prices are much higher), Americans don't.

But it's about to be the only and last track-focused rwd M car to ever hit the states. The people who own them have distinctly different opinions than those who read magazines. There are 20-30 fs in the whole country? Speculate that price momentum will shift at some point, but don't really care. Probably will stay a part of my garage long-term. I stare at it pretty often.
Thanks for your input. Honestly, the only reason I'm considering it is because I can't clutch anymore. Hurt my back and my left knee and clutching is quite painful. My 350R is awesome vehicle, all around, even if it is Ford HA!. I used to have a 15 M4 and liked it... Then saw that the prices on these are, almost, half down... So we'll see.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 11:32 AM   #4
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your input. Honestly, the only reason I'm considering it is because I can't clutch anymore. Hurt my back and my left knee and clutching is quite painful. My 350R is awesome vehicle, all around, even if it is Ford HA!. I used to have a 15 M4 and liked it... Then saw that the prices on these are, almost, half down... So we'll see.

Thanks again.
Ah, sucks to say bye to that V8 especially. Basically a successor to the S65. Ford killed it. Drove a standard GT350 and considered trading my Z for a little while...

Especially if you have a history with/affinity for BMW, race/track orientation, GTS is crazy value for money right now. Just can't imagine anyone picking up at current prices and thinking they overpaid. More GT4 race car than road car for 40% of the price.

Think part of the enjoyment factor is tinkering with it though. You or a shop will have to adjust if you want the most out of it. I don't know the extent of your injuries, but something to consider.

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 11:39 AM   #5
Boostin FD
Bored all the time
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah, sucks to say bye to that V8 especially. Basically a successor to the S65. Ford killed it. Drove a standard GT350 and considered trading my Z for a little while...

Especially if you have a history with/affinity for BMW, race/track orientation, GTS is crazy value for money right now. Just can't imagine anyone picking up at current prices and thinking they overpaid. More GT4 race car than road car for 40% of the price.

Think part of the enjoyment factor is tinkering with it though. You or a shop will have to adjust if you want the most out of it. I don't know the extent of your injuries, but something to consider.
I've always done all the tinkering on all my cars. I don't like anyone else working on them. That, I can still do... to some extent, and I quite enjoy it. I as going to put a whipple on the 350R, but then got shafted... What's the point. Need a DCT/S-Tronic/PDK HA!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 11:46 AM   #6
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:

2 factors:

1) It's way more impractical than your typical M4 (no rear seats, less sound deadening, stiffer suspension, etc.) for way more money.
2) Even if you can look past that, most people who want a track focused car in that price range would rather (and do) pick up a GT3.
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 11:50 AM   #7
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've always done all the tinkering on all my cars. I don't like anyone else working on them. That, I can still do... to some extent, and I quite enjoy it. I as going to put a whipple on the 350R, but then got shafted... What's the point. Need a DCT/S-Tronic/PDK HA!
Cool. Definitely lots of tinkering potential -- aero, endless compression & rebound adjustments, generally just getting it up in the air and appreciating the components... I'm doing more of that so far this season than driving. only car I've ever had that entertains stationary

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 12:40 PM   #8
jpdchicago
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL, X3MC

Quote:

As you rightly said, Europe gets it, North America does not. Track oriented cars are way more revered than here. A number of well know race car drivers gave the Gts rave reviews there.
The Gts is selling way over MSRP in most places in Europe (up to $225,000, most of them in the $160,000 to $180,000 range). Even the M3 Gts that is now about 10 years old (never sold here) sells for close to $200,000. Same exact setup as the Gts in terms of comfort (even less since no radio and air conditioning was optional).
Drive one and you understand how special it is!
I think BMW learned their lesson in the US and we are not going to be getting many of the future CSL...Certainly not 400 of them for North America.
Keeping mine for sure. Just ordered the X3M C for winter months...

Last edited by jpdchicago; 06-14-2019 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
redrumm3417.00
      06-15-2019, 06:45 AM   #9
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdchicago View Post
As you rightly said, Europe gets it, North America does not. Track oriented cars are way more revered than here. A number of well know race car drivers gave the Gts rave reviews there.
The Gts is selling way over MSRP in most places in Europe (up to $225,000, most of them in the $160,000 to $180,000 range). Even the M3 Gts that is now about 10 years old (never sold here) sells for close to $200,000. Same exact setup as the Gts in terms of comfort (even less since no radio and air conditioning was optional).
Drive one and you understand how special it is!
I think BMW learned their lesson in the US and we are not going to be getting many of the future CSL...Certainly not 400 of them for North America.
Keeping mine for sure. Just ordered the X3M C for winter months...
It will be interesting to see what M decide to do. They could go a couple of different directions based on the GTS reception --

Conclude that the American market is truck and cheeseburger country, return to Euro only models.

Or come back pissed off and head hunting with an idiot proof (interior buttons not exterior dials) awd drive monster.

F90 track time gave me an M xDrive preview. It's not going to ruin the M3/M4 and any CSL version(s), but it will unavoidably change the driving experience, especially on track. Much faster for sure. More fun and engaging -- I don't see how.

Either way I think the GTS is the end of the line.

Appreciate 1
redrumm3417.00