BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

09-21-2019, 11:02 AM   #1
SanDiego640
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i Gran Coupe

Software update: Report and questions

Hey everyone, long time BMW owner but new F06 owner here. I have an update to share concerning a software update, and a question or the forum.

DEALER DID NOT UPDATE SOFTWARE
I picked up my 2016 F06 as a CPO from a SoCal dealer. Upon looking around and discovering the BMWUSA.COM/Update site it turns out there’s a software update there. When I checked the vehicle I discovered the dealer did not update the software to the latest version, which I found surprising for a CPO vehicle.

UPDATE VIA USB STICK WORKED FINE
I successfully updated the software with what appears to have been a minor update using the USB function. No sweat.

QUESTION: SOFTWARE UPDATE 19-03?
In the BMWConnected store I see this Remote Software Upgrade 19-03 available. The release notes can be downloaded:
https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com/cm...es_1903_US.pdf

What’s the story with this? Is this 19-03 available for my 2016 F06, which is why it is showing up in my ConnectedDrive store, or is it something else? Clearly BMW is all over the map with these updates. I’m interested because this 19-03 lists this BMW Personal Assistant new feature. Is that only for models with newer hardware? There’s no listing anywhere as to the models/years to which the software update applies. The copyright date in the PDF is 2018.

Really appreciate the forum and the help on this one as I try to get everything I can out of this “new” vehicle, despite BMW’s attempts to make it as confusing as possible!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 11:25 AM   #2
SanDiego640
Private
United_States
Rep

BTW, software downloaded from here

Here is the site from which I downloaded the software update I was able to do, and it worked fine.

https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html

However, this update was not the 19-03 update I mentioned in the post above. The release notes for this one indicated it was just some enhancements to ConnectedDrive, which I assume means bug fixes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 07:00 PM   #3
chadmeister
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i Convertible

I have a 2016 650i and I have the same message and was trying to find it out how to update too. Right now my car shows media: MN-003.013.001 and phone shows TN-003.013.001
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 03:46 AM   #4
SanDiego640
Private
United_States
Rep

How I performed update...

Chad those are the same version numbers that appeared on my screen before I performed the update. The photo below was taken from my screen before the update.

What’s needed: Laptop/desktop computer, flash drive, VIN number

Go here: https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html

Type in your VIN in the box.

If an update is available (there will be), download the .BIN file and copy it to the flash drive. Best to have nothing else on the flash drive.

Take the flash drive and insert it into the USB port under the center arm rest.

Go into iDrive and select to update via USB.

It will read the flash drive and you can select to install the update.

I started with your same version numbers and ended up with higher version numbers. I did not notice any change in functionality. The release notes say only the update enhances ConnectedDrive functionality, which I assume means bug fixes and/or tweaks to Bluetooth drivers.

When you check the version numbers after the installation and after restarting the car, you’ll they have been updated.

Unfortunately, the update was not the 19-03 software referenced here: https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com/cm...es_1903_US.pdf

That would be cool because it adds new functions. I suspect 19-03 is only an update to a newer version of iDrive, but I cannot get a straight answer on that.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 07:59 PM   #5
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

If you check the instructions on the ConnectedDrive portal, it mentions that 19-03 is for systems with remote software update capabilities. They give instructions on where to find the iDrive setting that shows whether your system is capable or not. I don't believe a 2016 will work, but you can follow the menus they indicate to check for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 02:02 AM   #6
SanDiego640
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
If you check the instructions on the ConnectedDrive portal, it mentions that 19-03 is for systems with remote software update capabilities. They give instructions on where to find the iDrive setting that shows whether your system is capable or not. I don't believe a 2016 will work, but you can follow the menus they indicate to check for yourself.
Can the software be installed by the dealer if the car does not have the “Remote Software Update” capability? That is, is (1) the software itself compatible, it just cannot be installed remotely but the dealer can do it; or (2) the 19-03 software is not compatible?
Appreciate 0