BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

09-27-2019, 05:55 PM   #1
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

650 The Shark

Hi all, relatively new here, have enjoyed reading all the interesting items that relate to my 650. I recently acquired my Shark earlier this year. I looked for 12 months. I finally settled on my gorgeous sapphire black coupe. It’s the 2015 LCI so slightly revised front end and lights and better nav screen. I was told about the 6 series a few years ago when I was considering swapping out vehicles. I’ve had a few Beemers previously a 335 coupe and 330 convert. Both nice cars , very enjoyable. I was looking again in 2018 for a 440 coupe not even aware of the 6 series really as I assumed 100k out of my price range as I use this car for both work and private travel. However I work colleague suggest I look at the 6 series. I had seen a few about, they had always caught my eye as they are such an elegant and almost ‘sinister’ sexy flowing shape.
Imagaine my surprise when I released I could get a 650 a few years old for around the same price as a near new 440 coupe. That was almost deal done.... then I did some more research and found out about the twin turbo V8.... I had to drive one just to satiate my curiosity. I’ve always been a fan of big German coupe V8s but tended to disregard due to their very high purchase price and eye watering depreciation..... So I went and drove a 650..... well I think I was in one for about 5 minutes and the decision was made. The rest, as the say, is history....
It took me about 6 months after my initial 650 ‘affair’ to find MY Shark ( does anyone else think they look like a shark? I’ve nicknamed my 650 The Shark) I looked for ages at a few cars and as I’m a picky and fanatical bastard I was really particular about what I wanted and was prepared to spend. I wanted the updated LCI, I wanted Nappa, I wanted either black or grey and as always the ’right’ car takes time.... the 6 series coupe is a rare car, as I’ve no children, I didn’t want 4 dooors and to me BMW coupes are my preference. Just when I started to go off the idea as the right car I just couldn’t find , it popped up ! And it was 10 minutes away! Local Sydney BMW delivery in late 2015 with the second owners that had it as an occasional car.... 23k Klms covered in 4 years ! I had the car all checked out and substantiated with BMW , they printed out and confirmed is immaculate and perfect history. I struck a good deal for the car, frankly a ridiculously low price compared to what it’s new RRP was. depreciation is brutal to all big euro coupes as we know and most certainly for BMWs it’s no exception.
Can I just say The Shark is my favourite BMW I’ve owned. It brings a smile to my face everytime I drive it. I love dribbling around town in it on a tiny amount of revs or equally giving it some right foot on the motorway.... Jesus it goes ! And the exhaust note as the second set of baffles opens is simply a wonderful mellifluous V8 soundtrack isn’t it.
I look forward to chatting and conversing with you all about our cars on this forum. Oh and the bloody RFT will be going ASAP bloody hard as hell things they are.... lol
Happy ‘shark’ motoring to you all
JF
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-27-2019, 07:05 PM   #2
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Congratulations! Your 650 looks great. Yes, there's been a history of "shark like" styling with the 6 going back to the original - the term has been used widely to describe the original. The protruding and lower grille with swept back lights on either side definitely give a shark-like appearance on the 6. On the original, it was largely the slanted front that gave the car its own shark-like appearance... two different takes on the same fish, but somehow it works for both.

The modern 6 may very well be the best looking BMW from the last 20 years. It's truly a beautiful looking car (far beyond just the BMW line-up), and the luxurious interior, tech toys, and ride just make it a place you'll want to spend loads of time.

While I enjoyed the smaller 3's I've owned (nimble and fun), and my last F10 550xi was a handsome car with lots of practicality... none have compared with the 650xi GC's luxury and styling. It's the ultimate grand touring car until you get to something like a Bentley... and even then, I'm not sure I'd trade it in given how much I love the 6's styling.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 10:18 PM   #3
Derekz4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i. BMW Z4,01 Bullitt

Congrats on your new ride. My other ride is often described as “The Shark”.

Name:  E61D31D7-BA99-47BC-AEFB-1E4090F7F5E9.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  557.3 KB
Appreciate 1
JBF650115.50
      09-29-2019, 03:49 AM   #4
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

Thanks ezmaass yes im really enjoying the 650. Very different from my previous 335 and 330, smaller lighter cars yes however I much prefer the much more planted and beautiful car the 6 series is. It’s an absolute joy really. I love it
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 09:53 AM   #5
jjasonSU
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 650i, NSX

Nice story and path to the 6er.
Great looking car, you did it right!
Appreciate 0