BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

10-21-2019, 10:20 AM   #1
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

I love my 6GC

A friend of mine just bought a new Tesla X - the one that looks like the ill-fated-conceived Pontiac Aztec. He gave me the key and I walked up to it. As I approached the door, it opened! Incredible! I didn’t even have to touch it. I took a seat and tapped the brake. The door closed. Better and better. This is an incredible piece of technology. FAST! It drives itself - incredible. It comes to you in the parking lot like a built in valet that you never have to tip. It doesn’t ever need gas or oil changes and it can go over 300 miles on a single charge - which is free at the Tesla super charge stations. It’s so quiet that it’s eerie.

And it doesn’t do a damn thing for me.

When I look at my 6GC my heart actually races. I clean her when she gets dusty (three or four times a week). When I park her, I look back at least twice. When I return I do a walk around to make sure that she’s still ok. Every time I get in I am thrilled. Yes, I actually have to open the door, and yes, I have to buy gas and get oil changes. But! My car has to thrill me. I have had a love affair with cars since as long as I can remember, probably longer! I just can’t see myself sacrificing that love for high tech. I have absolutely no objection to electric cars. If BMW or Mercedes or SOMEONE (besides Volvo) ever made an electric car that looked as good as a 6GC I would get it in a heartbeat.

For now I’ll stick with Big Blue (She’s carbon Black) aka NTACOUP, and keep living the dream. Lol!

Happy Motoring!
Appreciate 6
Junebug851615.00
thebmw1632.00
ezmaass372.50
F30Andy1774.00
      10-21-2019, 06:34 PM   #2
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

It's like having a robot spouse that does everything for you, needs no maintenance, and looks like, well, a robot...vs one that is actually a human, needs to take a crap occasionally, and looks beautiful. I, for one, am not into virtual sex yet.
Appreciate 1
ezmaass372.50
      10-21-2019, 08:01 PM   #3
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
A friend of mine just bought a new Tesla X - the one that looks like the ill-fated-conceived Pontiac Aztec. He gave me the key and I walked up to it. As I approached the door, it opened! Incredible! I didn’t even have to touch it. I took a seat and tapped the brake. The door closed. Better and better. This is an incredible piece of technology. FAST! It drives itself - incredible. It comes to you in the parking lot like a built in valet that you never have to tip. It doesn’t ever need gas or oil changes and it can go over 300 miles on a single charge - which is free at the Tesla super charge stations. It’s so quiet that it’s eerie.

And it doesn’t do a damn thing for me.

When I look at my 6GC my heart actually races. I clean her when she gets dusty (three or four times a week). When I park her, I look back at least twice. When I return I do a walk around to make sure that she’s still ok. Every time I get in I am thrilled. Yes, I actually have to open the door, and yes, I have to buy gas and get oil changes. But! My car has to thrill me. I have had a love affair with cars since as long as I can remember, probably longer! I just can’t see myself sacrificing that love for high tech. I have absolutely no objection to electric cars. If BMW or Mercedes or SOMEONE (besides Volvo) ever made an electric car that looked as good as a 6GC I would get it in a heartbeat.

For now I’ll stick with Big Blue (She’s carbon Black) aka NTACOUP, and keep living the dream. Lol!

Happy Motoring!
Right on! I'm actually excited about the day I'll be able to enjoy an electric car. The Porsche Taycan is about as close as I've come so far to feeling something for an electric car.

I'm in software, so I naturally love technology - but there's always a time and a place. And because I'm in software, I'm also acutely aware of the gaps that often emerge between marketing and reality. Some of my biggest issues with Tesla have been nothing to do with electric cars but ALL to do with their ego maniacal and near fraudulent (no less dangerous) claims. I'm still shocked that the all too predictable deaths resulting in the use of something called "auto pilot" hasn't seen more backlash. The name, alone, is one of the most egregious over-statements.

And that "come to you" valet? Well, predictably (again) there have been incidents already. One of the funniest I saw (famous car youtuber video) was a Model 3 being pulled over by the police in a parking using the summon feature after it ran a stop-sign... let's not even get into the dozen other things it did that were unsafe.

Maybe it's the fact that I cut my teeth in my industry building industrial systems for the military - it was literally a matter of life and death if they worked as advertised - so, we never cut corners or pushed software to the field that was unsafe (or at least did everything in our power NOT to do so - nothing is 100%)... but I just find Tesla's approach to human life far too casual, and worse yet it appears that the motivation is simply over-confidence, ego, and making marketing headlines. That's a gap in values I can't reconcile with this company.

But as I said, I do look forward to finding that first electric car that speaks to me... and hopefully, by that time, we'll have made significant progress in the infrastructure and charging tech to make it as convenient as petrol vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
It's like having a robot spouse that does everything for you, needs no maintenance, and looks like, well, a robot...vs one that is actually a human, needs to take a crap occasionally, and looks beautiful. I, for one, am not into virtual sex yet.
Hahaha... I'm sure others took note that the sentence ended in "yet." Funny enough, several years ago I recall reading an article about companies working on this - interesting argument about the need to bring companionship to the far reaches of remote Asian rural towns where choice in spouses and mates were, at least according to the article, the limiting factor. Without a doubt, it'll be a thing one day.
Appreciate 1
Frupal791.50
      10-21-2019, 08:57 PM   #4
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
Hahaha... I'm sure others took note that the sentence ended in "yet." Without a doubt, it'll be a thing one day.
Yes, it will be. It is clean, safe, predictable, and effective. I remember a scene from Demolition Man from the 90's. It's on YouTube. Dirty human interaction will be only necessary for procreation, kind of like burning fossil fuels in cars will be only necessary for engaged driving.

Most futurists believe AI will be integrated in humans in the next couple decades as well.

Last edited by thebmw; 10-22-2019 at 06:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
Frupal791.50
      10-21-2019, 08:58 PM   #5
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Damn, did this thread go off topic fast! Thanks Frupal...
Appreciate 1
Frupal791.50
      10-21-2019, 10:10 PM   #6
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

I've spent the last 3 years driving soul destroying boring Toyota hybrid cars that are so devoid of passion, driving engagement with little to no pleasing stylistic looks I had almost started not caring about cars anymore...... I almost forgot the simple pleasure a nice car can give a human with a modicum of interest in them. I don't care if its 5K or 500K vehicle, I believe cars can stir up emotions and passions in us humans that ease stress and reward us with a basic need... ie freedom.
That said, I'm not opposed to electric cars either... if they were 50% as nice to drive as my 650 and gave me any kind of joy I would happily look at them. I would also be more open and a little kinder to them if the usual EV unit wasn't so horribly ugly and the drivers weren't so smug and self righteous.....
Until the day they deliver to me the same 'feel good' experience my 650 does i will continue with my choice. I too look back every time I park my 650, I find it quite gorgeous to look at. Driving it is thrilling and always makes me smile.
Appreciate 4
      10-21-2019, 10:48 PM   #7
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650xi GC

No other car offers its amazing design, unique interior, smooth, abundant power, superb handling, luxury features, comfort for four passengers, decent trunk space and that amazing sports car sound and feel.
Appreciate 3
Junebug851615.00
Frupal791.50
JBF650115.50
      10-22-2019, 01:15 AM   #8
SanDiego640
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i Gran Coupe

I have owned a long list of cars over the last 33 years, including 4 Porsches, 2 BMW's, and a multitude of lesser vehicles.

My 2016 F06/640i is by far the fastest and best looking. What puts it over the top is the cockpit. That center console orientation toward the driver, as it should be, combined with that big gorgeous wide screen at its center, is unrivaled.
Appreciate 3
Frupal791.50
jjasonSU194.00
JBF650115.50
      10-22-2019, 02:40 AM   #9
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

Reading all you comments confirms that I've made the right choice! I'm picking my 640d GC up on Saturday.

Can't wait!

G30 540i xDrive / Stage 3 via BM3 / xHP Stage 3 / Pure 800 Cast Turbo / 5" Catted Downpipe / MST Intake / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / 19" JR SL01 & Conti SC7 / 20" BBS CI-R & Michelin PS4S / F90 Sway Bars & Braces / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 1
Frupal791.50
      10-22-2019, 07:19 PM   #10
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBF650 View Post
I would also be more open and a little kinder to them if the usual EV unit wasn't so horribly ugly and the drivers weren't so smug and self righteous.....
That's the truth right there.
Appreciate 2
JBF650115.50
Russbmw680.00
      10-22-2019, 09:58 PM   #11
BMW535iva
Major
Rep
Drives: M5

Did you drive the Tesla?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 07:29 AM   #12
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
That's the truth right there.
Exactly that.

The new electric Porsche I'd have, as that *looks* like an £80k+ car, particularly the interior.

Tesla's do nothing for me at all looks wise. Some model S look ok externally, but the interiors remain hideously cheap looking and thoroughly uninviting. The Model X is just a bit , plain, ugly lump of a thing....great, you can get the doors to flap..whoop-de-do.

I couldn't give a shit if the new TEsla 3 can out accelerate a Ferrari, the interior looks worse than a base model Kia, and I don't want to be in it.

The sooner manufacturers start making electric cars look normal, instead of some whacked out weird attempt at futuristic looking designs, the better, and things will get more appealing.

Speaking from a UK perspective, I'd also start feeling a lot more comfortable about EV's in general, when someone actually admits that the aging power infrastructure that is being run into the ground by the private owners, will not be able to cope long term, and tables the actual costs involved. If people honestly believe that running an electric car is going to continue to offer cheaper running costs in future they are going to be sorely disappointed. I can just imagine, once the majority of cars are electric, there will be some hideous new taxes that will be brought in -not only to continue to line government pockets as they'll be loosing the utterly ludicrous fuel taxes they have been enjoying for decades, but funds will need to be generated from somewhere to upgrade the entire electrical power generation and distribution systems.

But that's another discussion....I like my 640GC too

Last edited by Russbmw; 10-23-2019 at 07:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 08:23 AM   #13
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW535iva View Post
Did you drive the Tesla?
I did. And it was amazing. Fast! Quiet! Smart! Self-driving! And I still had no desire to own it.
Appreciate 2
Russbmw680.00
ezmaass372.50
      10-23-2019, 08:14 PM   #14
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
Speaking from a UK perspective, I'd also start feeling a lot more comfortable about EV's in general, when someone actually admits that the aging power infrastructure that is being run into the ground by the private owners, will not be able to cope long term, and tables the actual costs involved. If people honestly believe that running an electric car is going to continue to offer cheaper running costs in future they are going to be sorely disappointed. I can just imagine, once the majority of cars are electric, there will be some hideous new taxes that will be brought in -not only to continue to line government pockets as they'll be loosing the utterly ludicrous fuel taxes they have been enjoying for decades, but funds will need to be generated from somewhere to upgrade the entire electrical power generation and distribution systems.

But that's another discussion....I like my 640GC too
That's true here in the US, as well. In CT, where I live, the electrical grid is not only old but our heavily wooded state ensures that it gets knocked to pieces each time a strong breeze comes through town. In the past 5 years, we've had two storms that left hundreds of thousands of residents without power for more than a week (some over two). Thankfully, gasoline powered cars got people where they needed to go, and gasoline powered generators kept the lights and heat on for folks lucky enough to have it.

Aside from the electric grid needing a LOT of investment, to your point, I also believe, like most things in life, there's safety in some diversity. Knowing that I can still get around in my ICE car when the power goes out, or my house will still have power if for some reason there's a gasoline shortage, there's some safety in diversity of power dependency.

Now, I suppose everyone having solar and generating and storing their own power might be the ultimate answer. For my home, I've estimated the costs around $60k. Solar still is very sub-optimal here in the Northeast, no less in the winter with lots of overcast skies and short daylight hours. But I suppose it's a step.

As for the taxes, you're right - you'd need to live in a bubble to believe that the government won't be coming after electric cars for taxes. Right now they're trying to subsidize them, but that will quickly flip to taxing as soon as they feel there's critical mass. The discussion is already being had in various municipalities where elected officials are unnerved by the thought of even a small cross-section of motorists escaping fuel taxes. And I get it - we need to maintain the roads, so the tax will come from somewhere... but between subsidies (tax breaks) and no fuel taxes, this is probably "as good as it gets" financially for electric cars. Once the government digs in, and they will, there'll be plenty of discussion about raising those taxes SUBSTANTIALLY higher than the fuel tax to not only continue paying for old infrastructure (roads) but also all the new electric work they'll need/want to do.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 01:48 AM   #15
elvisisdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 MSport 2013/09

Bit like smoking in the UK, the ICE will be demonised off the street first. Taxes will come eventually to EV. I quite welcome a change to ICE. The Taycan is doing a fine job of tempting me. I'm just not sure I buy into the environmental perspective. It's still fossil fuel powered, just the CO2 is at the generator site rather than the exhaust pipe. I've not looked but would be interested in the true emissions of each EV based on the CO2 of generation. I get solar panels and batteries will factor in but there's not much sunshine in the dark when most will charge. Benefit of constant demand for nuclear power stations resonates but we're doing a mighty fine job of slowing the pace of refresh in that arena too.

I'm not sure I get all the true driving pleasure from an ICE rhetoric, the crowd that believe an ICE is the only way to return driving pleasure sound like the same type of crowd stating horses were the only truly rewarding method of transport from a 100 years ago. I get Tesla's divide opinion, for me I agree with the masses in terms of interior, but Porsche opens up options. As for the BMW range, if the design direction of the entire G range of cars is anything to go by then my money to BMW will end with the F06.

And if you really want this thread to go off topic, you could start talking about the "where's Wally" state of UK politics!
Appreciate 0