BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

11-03-2019, 03:01 PM   #1
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Ideas for what comes next?

I've had my 650xi GC for several years now, and I'm wondering what to replace it with next. Within BMW's line-up, the 5-series is probably the only car right now that looks OK to me. Funny how expensive things have gotten, though. My fully loaded 650xi GC was around $113k - I think a fully loaded M550 could now easily hit that price or more. Granted, the less powerful 540 can now ALMOST accelerate as fast (4.6s compared to 4.3s of my 650xi) and will top out around $90k fully loaded. I do wonder if I need a DD that goes 0 - 60 in 3.6s.

I think it looks pretty good, but clearly it's not as beautiful as the 6GC. That said, a DD can't be a "keeper" so it will eventually need to move on. The hard part here is that very little on the market will look as good. I don't see that changing anytime soon. I could just hang onto the 6, but it may be several more years until something better comes along.

While we're living in strong times for automotive options, right now things feel a bit bland to me. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 05:31 PM   #2
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
Rep
Drives: M6, E70, E71

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i Spo ...  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
I remember when I got to the point when I thought about what was to be after My Old Friend. I was the second owner of this Porsche for almost 18 years, and did all the work. Took almost a year, but I think I decided well in getting another high performance GT coupe for cruising comfortably. The 650 has more power, but it’s handling is no where near the 928 S4.

The S4 was getting to be a bit much for me to maintain. Where I am in my life now, I just didn’t have the time. Another 50k mile timing belt/water pump change was approaching, and I just couldn’t tie up my garage with having a front engine dissection for such a period of time.

As to what is after the 650, that is down the road. I do one at a time with quality, and with quality care.
Attached Images

2013 X6 M Sapphire Black Metallic / Black Merino \ Carbon Fiber - Son’s
Appreciate 3
JBF650115.50
jjasonSU194.00
      11-03-2019, 07:26 PM   #3
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

its so coincidental we are talking Porsche 928's.... 650 coupes in the same sort of space. My mum always loved the 928 and in the late 80's and early 90's that's what she had. A 85 928S and the a 90 928 S4. Both glorious machines and what my Mum has said numerous times to me that my 650 reminds her of to look at and the way it drives. For sure my mum had the Porsches when they were new, so nowadays they may cost a fair bit to maintain but I doubt anyone is using a 928 as a daily driver....
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2019, 07:38 PM   #4
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
I've had my 650xi GC for several years now, and I'm wondering what to replace it with next. Within BMW's line-up, the 5-series is probably the only car right now that looks OK to me. Funny how expensive things have gotten, though. My fully loaded 650xi GC was around $113k - I think a fully loaded M550 could now easily hit that price or more. Granted, the less powerful 540 can now ALMOST accelerate as fast (4.6s compared to 4.3s of my 650xi) and will top out around $90k fully loaded. I do wonder if I need a DD that goes 0 - 60 in 3.6s.

I think it looks pretty good, but clearly it's not as beautiful as the 6GC. That said, a DD can't be a "keeper" so it will eventually need to move on. The hard part here is that very little on the market will look as good. I don't see that changing anytime soon. I could just hang onto the 6, but it may be several more years until something better comes along.

While we're living in strong times for automotive options, right now things feel a bit bland to me. Thoughts?
ezmass, id keep the 650 full stop no questions. to paraphrase you 'there is nothing around at them moment that is as good looking, capable and goes like our 6ers for the money.... if its going fine then I'm not sure why you would want to replace it for ? unless you want a change, which is absolutely your call.
I've not had my 650 Coupe that long yet so I'm still well and truly in the 'honeymoon phase" with mine so am looking forward to another 2-3 years of having it as my DD. I have some classic cars in storage but my 650 is my regular DD and is all I could ever want.... there isn't anything I can think of that I would replace my 650 with yet... its replacement i.e. the 850 yes I'm sort of warming to it but frankly its just not as nice to look at as our 650's and not sure it will ever be.
perhaps make the 650 your classic and put it away for a bit and driving something more mundane on a daily basis... ? although I certainly couldn't go back to driving company fleet Toyotas now.... these almost destroyed my love for nice cars....
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 08:04 PM   #5
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
Rep

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBF650 View Post
its so coincidental we are talking Porsche 928's.... 650 coupes in the same sort of space. My mum always loved the 928 and in the late 80's and early 90's that's what she had. A 85 928S and the a 90 928 S4. Both glorious machines and what my Mum has said numerous times to me that my 650 reminds her of to look at and the way it drives. For sure my mum had the Porsches when they were new, so nowadays they may cost a fair bit to maintain but I doubt anyone is using a 928 as a daily driver....
No,no.
The 650 and 928 S4 were not/are not my daily drivers.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 09:04 PM   #6
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
I've had my 650xi GC for several years now, and I'm wondering what to replace it with next.
I already know the answer to that. I'm replacing it with another 650 (maybe M6). Everything else is fugly. As I currently own multiple 6's, it's not a hypothetical scenario for me!
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2019, 10:51 PM   #7
MichaelInChicago
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650xi GC

The only replacement for my 2015 GC would be a 2018 GC (in a few years, of course).
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 09:58 AM   #8
murph914
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i Convertible

Mercedes is making some nice looking cars right now that sound just as good as they look, but as always, just a little more money.

For the price these cars are approaching and the tech that goes with them to justify the price I am seriously considering taking a step back and buying something older with low miles. Possibly even going with something boring in order to get a nicer garage car. A Ford Edge or F-150 and a 996 911 C4S, 997 Turbo, or 914-6, or even a 914-4 2.0 seem like the front runners. Every time I drive my car now I am scared the thing will blow up on me.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 08:00 PM   #9
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the input guys - I'm struggling with this one.

There's nothing out there in a $50k - $150k price range that I find as beautiful as the 6. I could probably make a 5-series work. With the M550 I'd be getting some extra speed (not that I think it's necessary) and some extra technology. I find some of the new tech appealing, but I'm not sure if it's ENOUGH of an appeal to give up the looks of the 6. I don't find the 5 offensive - it's handsome, but generic.

I might have considered a 7-series, but that new grille... my God, I just can't get passed it. It's an otherwise safe and almost boring design (except for the rear, which I like), but that new grille just makes the whole thing ugly. Sad, too, if it ends up being our last chance at a 7 with a V12.

In Audi's camp, nothing in the line-up does it for me. The S8 looks handsome, too - definitely better than the 7, but I'm not sure it speaks to me. I loved the old V10 S8, but this design is somewhat meh. Some of technology is, again, interesting - especially the suspension.

A Merc? I don't know - I don't feel the tech is as smooth or sophisticated as BMW, yet the luxury definitely overachieves (leather, woods, design). An S-class just feels a bit too heavily focused on luxury and not enough sporting character. I could still consider it, though.

Alternatively, I could lean more towards something sporting (a 911?) or something weird and conceptual (an i8). They have major practicality issues, but then again, I've put less than 10k miles on my 650 in the last several years.

A Porsche Panamera? Looks OK (better than the big-rear-end first edition), but I feel it's awfully expensive for what you're getting. If I'm going to be bled on options, doing so with a 911 makes more sense to me.

An M4? Going back to something small and nimble could be fun, but I think the downgrade in interior quality and luxury would be difficult.

A huge splurge (would have to blow the upper end of the budget) on something like the Bentley Continental GT or Flying Spur. These are probably some of the most beautiful GTs on the market, and maybe the only on the list that I feel can keep pace with the 6 and certainly out-do it on materials/quality of interior. But I'm not sure I could ever justify it for how little I drive my DD.

I guess I'd be open to other stranger options (so long as they were reliable), too, and kept within a budget of up to about $150k. I'd prefer a GT versus a sports car given that this is a year-round DD (and I live in the Northeast), and I honestly prefer more luxury and comfort versus sport in that context.

Thanks for the input.

BTW - love the 928, North Country Guy!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 08:16 PM   #10
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
Rep

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
Thanks ezmaass.
I had only spoken of my next relative to to the past.
I have no plans to even consider my next one.
My ‘not my daily driver’ car had to be a GT type coupe. Had to be comfortable to drive at length. That was why years back I had got the 928 and not the 911.
The 650 will be kept for some time. It has all the properties I require in a vehicle to make a drive a thing to enjoy. Driving this 650 makes this easy to say. Until it can’t, it is all I need in a ‘non daily driver’.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 08:27 PM   #11
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

ezmaass, you've basically just ruled out everything but a M6. Looks like that's your next car! Glad I could be of service and help you with this one
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 12:07 AM   #12
BMPOWERED
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650 GC M sport

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys - I'm struggling with this one.

There's nothing out there in a $50k - $150k price range that I find as beautiful as the 6. I could probably make a 5-series work. With the M550 I'd be getting some extra speed (not that I think it's necessary) and some extra technology. I find some of the new tech appealing, but I'm not sure if it's ENOUGH of an appeal to give up the looks of the 6. I don't find the 5 offensive - it's handsome, but generic.

I might have considered a 7-series, but that new grille... my God, I just can't get passed it. It's an otherwise safe and almost boring design (except for the rear, which I like), but that new grille just makes the whole thing ugly. Sad, too, if it ends up being our last chance at a 7 with a V12.

In Audi's camp, nothing in the line-up does it for me. The S8 looks handsome, too - definitely better than the 7, but I'm not sure it speaks to me. I loved the old V10 S8, but this design is somewhat meh. Some of technology is, again, interesting - especially the suspension.

A Merc? I don't know - I don't feel the tech is as smooth or sophisticated as BMW, yet the luxury definitely overachieves (leather, woods, design). An S-class just feels a bit too heavily focused on luxury and not enough sporting character. I could still consider it, though.

Alternatively, I could lean more towards something sporting (a 911?) or something weird and conceptual (an i8). They have major practicality issues, but then again, I've put less than 10k miles on my 650 in the last several years.

A Porsche Panamera? Looks OK (better than the big-rear-end first edition), but I feel it's awfully expensive for what you're getting. If I'm going to be bled on options, doing so with a 911 makes more sense to me.

An M4? Going back to something small and nimble could be fun, but I think the downgrade in interior quality and luxury would be difficult.

A huge splurge (would have to blow the upper end of the budget) on something like the Bentley Continental GT or Flying Spur. These are probably some of the most beautiful GTs on the market, and maybe the only on the list that I feel can keep pace with the 6 and certainly out-do it on materials/quality of interior. But I'm not sure I could ever justify it for how little I drive my DD.

I guess I'd be open to other stranger options (so long as they were reliable), too, and kept within a budget of up to about $150k. I'd prefer a GT versus a sports car given that this is a year-round DD (and I live in the Northeast), and I honestly prefer more luxury and comfort versus sport in that context.

Thanks for the input.

BTW - love the 928, North Country Guy!
You sound a lot like me in that I am considering many of the cars you mentioned. The only reason I am considering parting with my 650gc is because the warranty expires soon. I've posted elsewhere as I'm considering: extending the warranty; getting a newer 650; getting an M6 (but I would miss the sunroof); a Panamera (even the new one doesn't look as good as our cars and I'm losing a center seat); a pre LCI 7 series (just too big for my tastes); an Audi RS5 sportback (but I would miss the sound of the V8); CLS53 (again I would miss the sound of the V8); M550 (overall great car as you mentioned but not as beautiful or as "special" as the 6 series inside or out); the M4 (again the V8 sound, not to mention the downgrade in interior). If you wait another year or so for the new M4, the new 3/4 series interiors are a lot nicer than before...something to think about. To me, the only 4 door that's more beautiful than the 6GC is the Aston Martin Rapide. However, I can't afford the cost of entry or the cost of ownership on that one. Keep us posted!
2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 (sold)
2001 BMW 325ci (sold)

Last edited by BMPOWERED; 11-05-2019 at 12:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 07:28 AM   #13
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

The new 4-series is going to look so butt-ugly with that heinous Beaver buck tooth grill that I don't think anyone coming from a 6 will ever buy it. Also, the Interiors are so bland and generic that they are unquestionably a downgrade from the 6.

Last edited by thebmw; 11-05-2019 at 08:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 10:06 AM   #14
jjasonSU
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 650i, NSX

BMPOWERED i have most of the same thoughts.
Personally the M4 wouldn't cut it for me.
I'm considering coupes...So I will have to see.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 09:07 PM   #15
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
ezmaass, you've basically just ruled out everything but a M6. Looks like that's your next car! Glad I could be of service and help you with this one
Haha... yes, I'd gladly take the M6. In fact, I came close to ordering one when I got the 650. But it was ultimately the xDrive that pulled me back to the 650. While I'd love the additional power and improved handling, the CT winters ultimately made me shy away from it.

But you're right... I think I may just be going in circles coming back to the 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPOWERED View Post
You sound a lot like me in that I am considering many of the cars you mentioned. The only reason I am considering parting with my 650gc is because the warranty expires soon. I've posted elsewhere as I'm considering: extending the warranty; getting a newer 650; getting an M6 (but I would miss the sunroof); a Panamera (even the new one doesn't look as good as our cars and I'm losing a center seat); a pre LCI 7 series (just too big for my tastes); an Audi RS5 sportback (but I would miss the sound of the V8); CLS53 (again I would miss the sound of the V8); M550 (overall great car as you mentioned but not as beautiful or as "special" as the 6 series inside or out); the M4 (again the V8 sound, not to mention the downgrade in interior). If you wait another year or so for the new M4, the new 3/4 series interiors are a lot nicer than before...something to think about. To me, the only 4 door that's more beautiful than the 6GC is the Aston Martin Rapide. However, I can't afford the cost of entry or the cost of ownership on that one. Keep us posted!
A lot of the same thoughts here, agreed. The Aston Martin Rapide is a nice looking car. That infotainment though - it's pretty terrible. If I was splurging at this level, I'd probably be going with the Bentley GT, though. I just have a really hard time justifying it for a DD that basically sits at home most days. Most of the "typical" German luxury marques are bad enough - expensive and truly unnecessary, but these ultra-luxury brands take that to a whole new level. I can appreciate them, but I don't know if I can bring myself to spend that kind of money on one.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 10:29 PM   #16
doggboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Maybe the new Corvette C8? It should be comfortable as a GT sinve the C6 and C7 were. It will be disgustingly fast, there wont be many on the road and should be well appointed for around 75 to 80k. The only question is wether you love or hate the new look, it seems to only be one or the other.

Name:  IMG_8933-696x392.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  76.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 09:45 AM   #17
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Next? I have no desire for anything else so the thought of a replacement hasn't even entered my consciousness. My F06 GC fills and meets all my automotive needs. Until the time that is no longer how I feel...she'll stay in my stable.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 2
      11-07-2019, 07:22 PM   #18
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
Rep

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
Well Guys... I did have a whirlwind on this block of days off and did get something else.
Stayed true to my desire for a great GT coupe...
Have a Sakhir Orange Metallic M6 Coupe landing in a few days.
I’ll post pics.
Appreciate 1
JBF650115.50
      11-07-2019, 07:39 PM   #19
nsl115
Rep
Drives: 09 accord v6

Congrats! Can't wait to see the new m6. Traded in the 650?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 08:10 PM   #20
NorthCountryGuy
The Quiet One
Rep

Garage List
2013 X6 M  [0.00]
2013 M6  [0.00]
2013 X5 LCI 35i  [0.00]
Thanks.
Yes, making the trade.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 08:18 PM   #21
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Congrats, North Country Guy! Seems like "the bmw"s advice paid off here for one of us. Looking forward to seeing some pictures.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 08:36 PM   #22
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep

Congrats, looking forward to the pics! Hope to have a M6 in the stable one of these days. I have my eye on an exact build which isn't available for sale right now! Watch out for the rod bearings.
Appreciate 0