BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

11-23-2019, 04:44 AM   #1
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Drive another M6

I found a 2017 M6 competition coupe in Palm Springs with only 11k miles on the clock. Sapphire black with Silverstone full Nappa. It is a gorgeous car with 600 horsepower. They were asking $76,983 and apparently had no intention of discounting it at all.

Frankly I did not really love the car. Every time you hit the gas the tires spun and the traction control engaged, slowing acceleration. The ride, even in comfort was a bit jarring. It handled very well, feeling like a much lighter car. Four wheel drive would help this car. A lot.

I learned a couple of things when discussing a possible trade. The dealers ding you for having non run flat tires. ‘Well, your cars worth a lot less because you put the wrong tires on. ‘ and this particular dealer, Palm Springs BMW hit me with a ridiculously low trade in offer.

I realize that they are a business and all, but I was left with a pretty sour feeling after the negotiations.

I learned that my plan to keep the 640 GC long term and add a real sports car (corvette C8) to my collection is the best plan. I’m probably going to see one at the LA auto show next week.

Last edited by Frupal; 11-23-2019 at 04:46 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 1
city1991230.00
      11-23-2019, 08:12 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Presumably it it can't be worth more than about $1,500 less w/o RFTs because that's what it would cost to put them back on.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 10:56 AM   #3
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Presumably it it can't be worth more than about $1,500 less w/o RFTs because that's what it would cost to put them back on.
Yeah. I think they were just using it as an excuse to lowball me on the trade in allowance.
Appreciate 1
city1991230.00
      11-23-2019, 12:40 PM   #4
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

BMW dealers are absolutely fanatical about the RFTs because BMW imposes a fair share of limitations on them. For example, if they wanted to CPO your car for resale, it requires the OEM RFTs (not just any RFTs). So yeah, they'd need to source them. So I understand the dealer dinging you - but as Opie says it shouldn't be more than the cost of the tires (plus mounting, I suppose).

When I had BMW change my RFTs to non-RFTs, I literally had to sign multiple copies of an agreement acknowledging my decisions and its implications. Completely crazy if you ask me, but it goes to show the extent of pressure the dealers feel from BMW. For any Seinfeld fans out there, it reminded me of the episode where Kramer decides he no longer wants to receive mail, and he's essentially tracked down by the postal service to "change his mind."

Regarding the garage, I personally enjoy keeping my DD separate from my sports car. I want my DD to be fast (the 650 does that in spades as it is), but I primarily want it to be comfortable, luxurious, and full of great technology. For a sports car, I have a very different list of requirements. It's fine to be luxurious inside, but I want that stiffer ride, lighter weight, and more hard core driving experience. I don't want my sports car laden with nanny systems and technology in my face - I want some analog dials, hydraulic steering, more connection to the road. While I'd like my DD to be insulated and quiet for long highway journeys, I want my sports car to be much louder. The DD needs to be comfortable for long drives - heated, ventilated, massaging seats... while the sports car just needs to have solid bolsters and keep me in place.

It's nearly impossible to combine these requirements without ending up with a compromise on both ends. So the best solution is a dedicated tool for each occasion. The C8 is going to be a very capable sports car, indeed - should make a nice companion for your 640GC.
Appreciate 2
Frupal791.50
JBF650115.50
      11-24-2019, 08:40 AM   #5
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
BMW dealers are absolutely fanatical about the RFTs because BMW imposes a fair share of limitations on them. For example, if they wanted to CPO your car for resale, it requires the OEM RFTs (not just any RFTs). So yeah, they'd need to source them. So I understand the dealer dinging you - but as Opie says it shouldn't be more than the cost of the tires (plus mounting, I suppose).

When I had BMW change my RFTs to non-RFTs, I literally had to sign multiple copies of an agreement acknowledging my decisions and its implications. Completely crazy if you ask me, but it goes to show the extent of pressure the dealers feel from BMW. For any Seinfeld fans out there, it reminded me of the episode where Kramer decides he no longer wants to receive mail, and he's essentially tracked down by the postal service to "change his mind."

Regarding the garage, I personally enjoy keeping my DD separate from my sports car. I want my DD to be fast (the 650 does that in spades as it is), but I primarily want it to be comfortable, luxurious, and full of great technology. For a sports car, I have a very different list of requirements. It's fine to be luxurious inside, but I want that stiffer ride, lighter weight, and more hard core driving experience. I don't want my sports car laden with nanny systems and technology in my face - I want some analog dials, hydraulic steering, more connection to the road. While I'd like my DD to be insulated and quiet for long highway journeys, I want my sports car to be much louder. The DD needs to be comfortable for long drives - heated, ventilated, massaging seats... while the sports car just needs to have solid bolsters and keep me in place.

It's nearly impossible to combine these requirements without ending up with a compromise on both ends. So the best solution is a dedicated tool for each occasion. The C8 is going to be a very capable sports car, indeed - should make a nice companion for your 640GC.

As usual, your thoughtful and complete response is much appreciated! Have a great thanksgiving!
Appreciate 1
ezmaass372.50
      11-24-2019, 07:27 PM   #6
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frupal View Post
As usual, your thoughtful and complete response is much appreciated! Have a great thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, as well, Frupal!

If you haven't seen it, Leno just recently did an episode on his YouTube channel with the C8.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 11:02 PM   #7
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post

It’s interesting you say that ezmaass, before changing to Michelin’s I did ask my BMW dealers about removing the RFT and they told me they recommend the factory tires .... however the next sentence was “ you will not be sorry moving to the Michelin s ..... ‘ I asked them if they voided any warranties and they said so long as the tyres were correctly rated all was good.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 11:23 PM   #8
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBF650 View Post
It’s interesting you say that ezmaass, before changing to Michelin’s I did ask my BMW dealers about removing the RFT and they told me they recommend the factory tires .... however the next sentence was “ you will not be sorry moving to the Michelin s ..... ‘ I asked them if they voided any warranties and they said so long as the tyres were correctly rated all was good.
Maybe different rules down under? BTW, do you live near the harbor?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 11:55 PM   #9
JBF650
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F13 LCI 650i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Maybe different rules down under? BTW, do you live near the harbor?
Maybe BMW Australia are alittle more amenable and know how dreadful the RFT are. Yes I live near the harbour. I’m very lucky I can see it from my place 👍🏼
Appreciate 0