BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

11-23-2019, 11:38 AM   #1
Derekz4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i. BMW Z4,01 Bullitt

Service Due In

Now mind you, I’ve only put 1500 miles on her since I bought her but the service due in xxxx miles hasn’t changed yet on anything.
I know they fluctuate with driving conditions but I thought it would have change at least some.
When I purchased it, the miles until front pads was 3100 miles. This hasn’t changed at all in 1500 miles.
I was hoping to be able to get a front brake change with the extra year of maintenance I purchased but at this rate those miles will not go down fast enough by the time it runs out.
In other words, I may have paid $700 for an oil change as this is going to be the only thing that will need maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 12:16 PM   #2
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Yes, it's definitely condition based - so if you're doing a lot of highway driving, expect it'll fall more slowly. It may be adapting from the way it was previously driven. If you're not doing city driving, I've found that my BMW's brakes will go a really long time. I may have changed them once on cars I kept nearly 100k miles, and I don't think they ever required changing on cars I owned/drove less than 50k.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 01:33 PM   #3
Frupal
Mad Fiddler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 640i GC

Yep. Same thing here. They replaced my rear brakes under the service agreement and also the cabin air filters as well as an oil change. My front brakes have been due in 3100 miles for about 6,000. Lol! I paid $800, and if my front brakes don’t get serviced by July 31st, 2020, I guess that’s what I paid for the services I got.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 01:53 PM   #4
Rogue75
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tacoma

You'll have to reset your brake pad wear sensor, I believe its via instrument cluster. If that doesn't work then you'll need a new sensor.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 04:24 PM   #5
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue75 View Post
You'll have to reset your brake pad wear sensor, I believe its via instrument cluster.
How is that done?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 12:40 AM   #6
Rogue75
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tacoma

It's been awhile since I've done it. I dont remember the procedure!

Try this, its from the f10 forum.

How to reset the service light:

1. Unlock the car
2. Turn the car on, but don't turn the engine over.
3. Close the door.
4. If you have a previous brake warning press "ok" on the nav screen to clear it from view and press "bc" on the stalk to clear it from the dash.
5. Press "bc" until the date is showing.
6. Release the electronic parking brake.
7. Hold the reset button until the reset option displays and then release the button. If the front brake reset is not the first option keep cycling through until the reset front brake option appears.
8. Hold the reset button until it says "reset"? And release the button again.
9. Hold it once more until progress bar is finished and success message has displayed.

https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1266532
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 08:52 AM   #7
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I'm pretty sure that reset has nothing to do with the wear sensors. The wear sensors are just a simple thing that trips a circuit when they get physically worn by the rotor. That sets off a brake warning light. It does not "sense" anything before that happens. The numerical counter until pad replacement is a different system that is not monitoring anything on the pads. It's just "guessing" based on how you drive. You reset it to zero when you get new pads so it can start counting down again. If you reset it without getting new pads then the system is totally useless because it thinks you got new pads.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 09:12 PM   #8
thebmw
Post Advisor
Rep
Drives: More Manuals than Automatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
I'm pretty sure that reset has nothing to do with the wear sensors. The wear sensors are just a simple thing that trips a circuit when they get physically worn by the rotor. That sets off a brake warning light. It does not "sense" anything before that happens. The numerical counter until pad replacement is a different system that is not monitoring anything on the pads. It's just "guessing" based on how you drive. You reset it to zero when you get new pads so it can start counting down again. If you reset it without getting new pads then the system is totally useless because it thinks you got new pads.
My service indicator has stated that I need to replace the pads in 3000 miles for the last 14000 miles!! So the indicator is worthless for me. I would really like to reset the indicators for the brakes, fluid, service checks, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 08:06 AM   #9
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
My service indicator has stated that I need to replace the pads in 3000 miles for the last 14000 miles!! So the indicator is worthless for me. I would really like to reset the indicators for the brakes, fluid, service checks, etc.
But if you reset your indicator for the brakes and don't get new pads, it will say you need new pads in like 30,000 miles or something. I agree the system is worthless, but it would be even more worthless if you reset it. Frankly, the system is so "dumb" that I wonder what its real purpose is. To give a super-vague idea so that you at least get your car looked at? To remind you to spend money whether you need to or not? Anyway, it means nothing to me. A small mirror and my own eyeballs is how I know how much brake pad thickness I have left. Imagine if they had a system that told you how much tire tread you had left based simply on when you bought them and how many miles you had driven, or maybe that and how many times you start and stop. Would you trust that to tell you how your tires were over using your own eyeballs? Heck no. This is the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 08:20 AM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
...I would really like to reset the indicators for the brakes, fluid, service checks, etc.
You can reset the service that needs to be reset...its not just an all-in-one CBS reset. If you've changed your oil or brake fluids...and changed your filters etc...but you haven't changed your brake pads (because they don't need to be changed yet)...you can reset only the things that you actually changed.

If you haven't seen any of the videos...they are easy to find on YouTube. You can see how to access the system using your instrument cluster...then only resetting the ones where you've changed the fluid or did the inspection that would require a "count down".

When I see that my brake pad renewal has been 3100 miles for the last 12000 miles...it doesn't make me fret...nor does it make me think the system is useless. I look at it as telling me I'm doing a great job not stomping & grinding my brake pads down to the nubs....and somehow my driving style is doing a great job of extending their life

I don't pile up a lot of mileage...so in regards to my oil changes...I usually fall on the "time" side instead of accumulated "mileage". The CBS warning gives me both...so again, I don't find it totally useless by it reminding me when was the last time I changed the oil as well as the accumulated mileage update.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 08:51 AM   #11
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

I agree that the oil countdown is useful. It tells you actual useful data - time and mileage. And the brake fluid counter is useful because it simply tells you when 2 years is up. But as for the the brake system telling you that you are doing a good job of not grinding them down, not really. All you know for sure is that you have not triggered the wear sensors, but you don't know whether they will trigger in 5 miles or 5,000. Any system that tells you that you need new pads in 3,100 miles for 12,000 miles was either wildly wrong 12,000 miles ago or is wildly wrong now. Any system that wildly wrong is pretty darn useless.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 08:51 PM   #12
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I honestly don't pay attention to the service indicators. I know I need to have the car serviced once a year (I drive only a few thousand miles a year), and if something comes up in between (e.g. brake pads), it'll trip the appropriate sensor. I'm not sure what the point is of counting down to changing brakes... prepare you for the big event? I'd just ignore it.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 09:39 PM   #13
Derekz4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i. BMW Z4,01 Bullitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
I honestly don't pay attention to the service indicators. I know I need to have the car serviced once a year (I drive only a few thousand miles a year), and if something comes up in between (e.g. brake pads), it'll trip the appropriate sensor. I'm not sure what the point is of counting down to changing brakes... prepare you for the big event? I'd just ignore it.
I was hoping to get the pads to wear down within the maintenance plan. It's looking like that probably won't happen as I'm sure the dealer won't change them unless the system tells them so.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 06:27 PM   #14
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekz4 View Post
I was hoping to get the pads to wear down within the maintenance plan. It's looking like that probably won't happen as I'm sure the dealer won't change them unless the system tells them so.
Yep, probably the case. Maybe take the car to your nearest track.

I've replaced remarkably few brakes on my BMWs - but when I have, they've been typically around 50k+ miles.
Appreciate 0