BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

11-27-2019, 09:58 AM   #1
golf4dj
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 and 2015 F15

Connected Drive 2013 and Older Not Supported?

Hi all - long time BMW owner but first plunge into the F13 with a new to me 2013 640i couple that has roughly 50K miles. Production date is 10/2012.

I was looking to add this car to the Connected Drive App and then also add a subscription for Real Time Traffic Information.

When I attempted to add the car to the Connected Drive App as well as through the connected drive Web portal it says that I cannot add this vehicle and to contact customer support. Sent an email to customer support and they responded with "BMW Assist Safety Plan product for Model Year 2013 and older vehicles are no longer supported" while indicating a retrofit is available.

After doing some research, it appears that the connected drive technology for model years 2013 and older was likely based on 2g cellular service which is no longer supported by the cellular companies. Unfortunately, I am a bit confused as to what I would need to do to "retrofit" the vehicle to take advantage of the connected drive features.

Can anyone provide some insights in to what needs to be retrofitted and the cost to perform this retrofit?

Thanks,
DJ
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 11:06 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Hmm, this is the first thread I've seen about this in the year and a half I've been on the forum. I had thought that Real Time Traffic and internet connectivity were functions that came out with the NBT iDrive system that started in 2014, and not something that once existed on older cars but went away with changes in cell technology. Maybe I'll learn something here.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 06:25 PM   #3
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

I know on my older BMWs there was BMW Assist (prior to Connected Drive) - could it be that the radio technology and software wasn't compatible with Connected Drive, or is it that it once worked on these models and just simply doesn't now?

I originally used the BMW Remote app when I first got my 650 (back in 2017) which was using my old BMW Assist account. When I switched to the Connected Drive app, there were new functions and data that opened up - such as reporting mileage, oil status, tire pressure status, and a few other things.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 07:35 PM   #4
DaveS86
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 640I

I have a late 2011 640i with connected drive, internet, assist etc, all works perfectly for me and syncs up the app. I am in the UK though.

I can push nav instructions to the car from my phone, lock it and unlock it and all the other remote jazz.....
Appreciate 0