BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

08-29-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Ticking engine sound between 1 and 3K? (remember snowm3)

Ok. How many of you have noticed that the engine makes a ticking sound between 1 and 3K after it has been warmed up. This is the sound SnowM3 was talking about. It sounds like someone tapping the block with a screw driver intermitently. Best way to see if your car does this is drive around for about 15 minutes a bit spiritedly to get the engine warm. Then pull the car next to another car or a wall on the drivers side. Put the car in neutral, engage the ebrake and slowly rev between 1 and 3K. If you have the sound, sometimes you will hear 1 tick...sometimes more between 1 and 2 K. If you go up to 3K, you will hear the tick become more frequent. But remember, it is random.

Here is SnowM3s original thread: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=snowm3
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

I've done a lot of spirited driving and have not heard that noise.

Last edited by KonigsTiger; 08-30-2008 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 08:23 PM   #3
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Crankcase bearings?
The tech believed it was the main bearing.

Last edited by knifegun; 10-19-2008 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 08:46 PM   #4
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

Sup man, you still having this problem?

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 08:59 PM   #5
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep

Unfortunately, yes. The tech did say the ticking sound is not normal so I don't know what to think. What are the chances of getting two cars with the same issue while there does not appear to be many other people with the same issue.

Last edited by knifegun; 10-19-2008 at 09:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 09:57 PM   #6
Mack211
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 - DCT

I have this ticking aswell i am pretty sure it is on all the Ms. Did you have problems with your car or just sounds?
      08-29-2008, 10:24 PM   #7
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack211 View Post
I have this ticking aswell i am pretty sure it is on all the Ms. Did you have problems with your car or just sounds?
I just heard the sounds and the engine seemed a slight bit rough between 1 and 2 K. Just some ticking.

Last edited by knifegun; 10-19-2008 at 09:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 10:32 PM   #8
farbarg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SSII e90

Maybe it's time to put up a site with owners, build dates, and youtube videos. I don't really know if it is a lot of people. KG, do you have the build date of your prior clicking M3? Would others that can reproduce this noise (SnowsM3 has a very good description of how to repeat it) be willing to contribute?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 10:47 PM   #9
farbarg
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Is it that odd main bearing clicking or just clicking, like tapping? The odds of getting two with this issue, is quite rare.
KG, SnowsM3, Bills742, and I have almost identical sounds. It's not the tupperware sound, or any of the assorted sounds associated with the clutch/drivetrain ("M-clunk" or clatter on clutch disengagement).
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 10:49 PM   #10
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbarg View Post
KG, SnowsM3, Bills742, and I have almost identical sounds. It's not the tupperware sound, or any of the assorted sounds associated with the clutch/drivetrain ("M-clunk" or clatter on clutch disengagement).
So did Snow get a new car? How about you guys with the ticking sound. Have you noticed it get worse, louder or more frequent?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 10:50 PM   #11
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is it that odd main bearing clicking or just clicking, like tapping? The odds of getting two with this issue, is quite rare.
I completely agree with you that is why I am a bit confused.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2008, 11:01 PM   #12
lebreeze
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18’c63s,15’macanturbo,14’ 991s

Garage List
2008 e92 m3  [0.00]
I think I hear that sound sometimes too. I'm not worrying about it my car is driving fine.
      10-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #13
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep

How many other people on this board with have the same issue. Occurs after break in service. I know of at least 3 other people. You can PM me if you want to keep it private.

I want to find out what is different. I.e. sedan vs. coupe? Different factories?

If you respond, please let me know whether you have a coupe or sedan and around what date your car was built (if you know). And also have you done something about it. Anyone have the issue resolved?

Last edited by knifegun; 10-19-2008 at 09:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 03:38 AM   #14
Irb Digital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M E90 MANual Jerez

I heard some tapping in my sedan on one of the first nights after I purchaded it. Now I have 700 miles and I haven't heard it since. But during those first couple of nights, I sat in the car, just soaking in the fact that I am now a proud owner of an ///M. So I let it idle a lot, and I was listening to the car much more than than normal. I heard the tapping sound then, and didn't think it was anything to worry about. It didn't sound like anything was malfunctioning or out of the ordinary, so I didn't worry about it. I haven't heard the tapping since, but I now I just start my car up and roll out (no idling). IMHO I don't think its anything to worry about, but if its something that I begin to hear more frequently and gets louder, I would consider having a tech look into it before my warranty ran out. Only to protect myself from having to replace a 20k motor very few miles out of warranty. But I do think think most of the problems ///M owners are pointing out are more paranoia or unachievable standards than anything else. This isn't an LS460, its an M3, and a priority was placed on performance over refinement. The car is refined, but it will have its quirks and rough edges. You have a 4 year warranty, you have plenty of time to distinguish real problems. As far as the warranty is concerned, use your best judgement. I suggest to be patient, make it known early if you think you have a problem, that way if it amounts to a real problem, you have documention to back that up. In the end, when it comes to warranty work, I say to use it without abusing it.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 10:00 AM   #15
inmotion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: where do I start?

I hear it in both my M5 and M3 when idling. I'm not sure if it does it when I'm in motion as my windows are always closed when driving.

On order: 2010 R8 V10
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 10:14 AM   #16
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the replies. The ticking sound I heard only happened after the 1200 miie service. Sure, the engine make a lot of little sounds but not anything I was concerned with. This sound only happens between 1 to 3K (or at least you can hear it above the engine noise).

In any case, I'll keep everyone posted. Hopefully there will be others that have had the same issue. Because mine did get worse and louder with time.

Last edited by knifegun; 10-19-2008 at 09:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 10:56 AM   #17
farbarg
First Lieutenant
Rep

Those are definitely good points to keep in mind about the warranty.

Just to be clear though, the ticking referred to by KnifeGun is not the tapping or the "tupperware" sound heard at idle. That tupperware sound typically has nothing to do with how warm the engine is or RPM and goes away when depressing the clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irb Digital View Post
I heard some tapping in my sedan on one of the first nights after I purchaded it. Now I have 700 miles and I haven't heard it since. But during those first couple of nights, I sat in the car, just soaking in the fact that I am now a proud owner of an ///M. So I let it idle a lot, and I was listening to the car much more than than normal. I heard the tapping sound then, and didn't think it was anything to worry about. It didn't sound like anything was malfunctioning or out of the ordinary, so I didn't worry about it. I haven't heard the tapping since, but I now I just start my car up and roll out (no idling). IMHO I don't think its anything to worry about, but if its something that I begin to hear more frequently and gets louder, I would consider having a tech look into it before my warranty ran out. Only to protect myself from having to replace a 20k motor very few miles out of warranty. But I do think think most of the problems ///M owners are pointing out are more paranoia or unachievable standards than anything else. This isn't an LS460, its an M3, and a priority was placed on performance over refinement. The car is refined, but it will have its quirks and rough edges. You have a 4 year warranty, you have plenty of time to distinguish real problems. As far as the warranty is concerned, use your best judgement. I suggest to be patient, make it known early if you think you have a problem, that way if it amounts to a real problem, you have documention to back that up. In the end, when it comes to warranty work, I say to use it without abusing it.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 01:26 PM   #18
M3 Nimz
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 IB e92 M3

I just noticed I have the same problem as well on my 08 e92... weird
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #19
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Nimz View Post
I just noticed I have the same problem as well on my 08 e92... weird
The tupperware sound or the irradic ticking between 1 and 3K RPMs? If so, how many miles do you have on your car?

Anybody else? I bet more people have this issue but don't know it because if you always drive with your windows up, you are likely not to hear it. I heard it my mistake because my garage is a bit tight and I open up the driver's window to ensure I don't hit anything.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 01:54 PM   #20
Rick
Stackin' Chips
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW M3 Coupe

knifegun...

What is the difference between the tupperware sound and the ticking sound? I've been a little paranoid about the way my engine sounds since 1200 mile service, there's all kinds of noises.. I know I have one of the aforementioned sounds, possibly both. You ever come down to L.A.?
      10-04-2008, 02:27 PM   #21
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep

I am in L.A. from time to time on business but usually only come down for the day. I will let you know next time I am down there. I was actually just there on Friday.

Anyhow, listen to this video. This is the best example of exactly what the engine ticking sounds like. It is pretty obvious once you know what you are looking for. It is easiest to pull your car up against a wall on the driver's side or against another car, open the window, rev between 1 and 3K and you will hear the irregular ticking sounds (instead of a tupperware sound...it does sound like the sound your exhaust makes make it is cooling down. Except this happens as you rev the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickc View Post
knifegun...

What is the difference between the tupperware sound and the ticking sound? I've been a little paranoid about the way my engine sounds since 1200 mile service, there's all kinds of noises.. I know I have one of the aforementioned sounds, possibly both. You ever come down to L.A.?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2008, 02:59 PM   #22
Mack211
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by knifegun View Post
I am in L.A. from time to time on business but usually only come down for the day. I will let you know next time I am down there. I was actually just there on Friday.

Anyhow, listen to this video. This is the best example of exactly what the engine ticking sounds like. It is pretty obvious once you know what you are looking for. It is easiest to pull your car up against a wall on the driver's side or against another car, open the window, rev between 1 and 3K and you will hear the irregular ticking sounds (instead of a tupperware sound...it does sound like the sound your exhaust makes make it is cooling down. Except this happens as you rev the engine.

Yep this is the exact sound I have as well. Im 99.9% sure it is normal and on all M3s. Why does everyone worry about it?