BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

01-20-2020, 04:19 PM   #1
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

Secondary Air Code - Exhaust Smell

Hello Group,

I've been getting an exhaust smell from under the hood, which moves into the HVAC intakes of the car, so I can smell it thru my cabin air. I also can hear an exhaust style ticking from the car.

When I immediately start the car cold, I can feel hot air moving on the drivers side of the plenum, between the exhaust headers and the plenum.

I had a shop replace my exhaust manifold gaskets already, but the problem still exists.

A code was thrown from my car: 27B2 - Secondary air system throughput main section.

I know there are different codes for the secondary air system - is there any feedback on whether this could be a hose section or a valve? I have to take apart the plenum anyways due to TA error, which I will replace them, so I'm hoping I can address this issue at the same time.

If it's one of the valves, could I code out the system to deactivate?

I may start the car with the plenum removed, so I can try to trace the secondary air system for any leaks. Any feedback before I dive into this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 04:39 PM   #2
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I'm not super familiar with it, but you might have a simple hose that's jacked up. Check the low hanging fruit like the plug on the back right (standing at the bumper, looking at the engine) side of the plenum.
      07-09-2022, 10:08 PM   #3
MikeBlaszczak
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
Did you get anywhere diagnosing the 27B2 code? I've got the code sometimes, but it never causes a CEL, or low power. I do have a bit of a rough idle (a little hunting) at cold start.
Appreciate 0