Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

02-19-2020, 06:12 PM   #1
derpimpkar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

apex pro

does anyone use one of these? i've been thinking about an aim solo 2 dl but honestly i'm not sure i'll get as much use out of the that much data. the apex pro seems more useful for an enthusiast but not a professional.

thoughts? tia.
      02-19-2020, 06:28 PM   #2
ment4t
Private
Rep
Drives: Track-Legal MW F82

I have one, and was thinking of getting an Aim Solo 2!

It's great for real-time grip feedback, but sometimes I really just want a predictive laptimer with a delta display. I feel like I can "read" a delta timer better than the green/red lights for now... maybe that will change with more usage of the Apex.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 09:37 AM   #3
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ment4t View Post

It's great for real-time grip feedback, but sometimes I really just want a predictive laptimer with a delta display. I feel like I can "read" a delta timer better than the green/red lights for now... maybe that will change with more usage of the Apex.
I have a Solo and combined with the CAN data it's an unreal amount of feedback. Especially if you lend your car to a more capable driver so you can compare where you're missing...

That said, I'm very interested in the Apex Pro. My understanding is it highlights how little of the available friction you were using across acceleration, braking and cornering. Those lights hopefully instill confidence to push harder!
      02-20-2020, 04:19 PM   #4
derpimpkar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ment4t View Post

the apex pro doesn't do predictive laps or it doesn't do it in a way you can see?
      02-20-2020, 04:21 PM   #5
ment4t
Private
Rep
Drives: Track-Legal MW F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpimpkar View Post
the apex pro doesn't do predictive laps or it doesn't do it in a way you can see?
It does not, as far as I’m aware. Since the display is only a bar of LEDs, it’s difficult to see how they could display a timer without taking over the phone screen as well.

edit: They added a timer to their app, available for a subscription fee.
link:

Last edited by ment4t; 02-22-2020 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: i was wrong.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 11:32 PM   #6
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

My $0.02 would be to get aim solo 2 dl + smarty cam

I’ve been dragging my feet on the smarty cam (using go pro + race render) but the ability to review the overlay of data on video in between sessions is huge.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 11:32 PM   #7
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
My $0.02 would be to get aim solo 2 dl + smarty cam

I’ve been dragging my feet on the smarty cam (using go pro + race render) but the ability to review the overlay of data on video in between sessions is huge.
The data that you can review between sessions with the phone app for the apex pro is pretty great too. Even without video.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 12:59 AM   #8
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaso View Post
The data that you can review between sessions with the phone app for the apex pro is pretty great too. Even without video.
I couldn’t easy find what was available with apex pro. Could you please feel me in?

You have to pay $50 per year for the app through
Appreciate 1
Ex_Stig2594.00
      02-23-2020, 12:01 AM   #9
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I couldn’t easy find what was available with apex pro. Could you please feel me in?

You have to pay $50 per year for the app through
I'm trying to find the video I watched last month. You can compare laps, look at data for each corner, have a live lap comparison with 2 laps that you choose, have the lap overlaid on a real map to see where you started braking or started accelerating etc. It was pretty cool.

It looked like there were a lot of cool things you could do after a few seconds of pitting from just pulling out your phone.

I just downloaded the app but didn't have to pay anything. I think that 50/year or 5/monthly is optional (and new) if you want to upgrade, but it might not be necessary to use the actual apex pro.

I grabbed one used last month, but haven't been able to use it yet... was hoping to tomorrow but can't go anymore.

This isn't the video but you can see some things you can do:
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 11:31 AM   #10
derpimpkar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

i ended up buying the apex pro. the aim solo 2 is nice but if i'm being honest with myself the extra money for the dl will go to waste. i mostly want to know throttle/brake and i think the obd2 connector for the apex pro will give me that information.

the selling point was the real time feedback. i figure it's not 100% accurate but it's been the question i've asked myself the most lately. i think i can infer throttle/brake from the feedback too, i.e. you need more or less. max throttle in the straight is uninteresting, the light changing as you unwind the wheel is.

the phone has to be in your car for data collection so maybe that's the issue with between-session data study. a phone and the subscription is also needed for predictive laps but that seems unproductive. any time i've tried to push for something i've gotten slower. smooth is fast.

i also have macs in the house and aim solo apparently uses old windows software. apex pro supports iphones and actively develops. that's a plus. hopefully it'll get here for some parade laps this weekend and i can try it out. acid test comes in april.
      02-23-2020, 02:23 PM   #11
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I'm trying to find the video I watched last month. You can compare laps, look at data for each corner, have a live lap comparison with 2 laps that you choose, have the lap overlaid on a real map to see where you started braking or started accelerating etc. It was pretty cool.

It looked like there were a lot of cool things you could do after a few seconds of pitting from just pulling out your phone.

I just downloaded the app but didn't have to pay anything. I think that 50/year or 5/monthly is optional (and new) if you want to upgrade, but it might not be necessary to use the actual apex pro.

I grabbed one used last month, but haven't been able to use it yet... was hoping to tomorrow but can't go anymore.

This isn't the video but you can see some things you can do:
With the AIM stuff, all the things you mentioned (position, start of braking and accel, time) are all things you get via gps and calcs off the gps data.

A key thing to check with apex is whether you can share data or if you need to get a driver in your car to get data from them to compare against (maybe that isn’t a concern in a $$ street car you won’t let anyone drive, and everyone’s config is different so it’s hard to benchmark).

Also check what sensors f8x gives. I don’t think throttle position and brake pressure come out of the odbII but I admittedly haven’t looked very hard.

I’m using an aim dash logger with throttle and brake pressure sensors, and my teammate sometimes brings a solo 2 dl.

We are going to try data only reviews for a while longer, but I’m probably going to bite the bullet to add smartycam
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 03:40 PM   #12
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
With the AIM stuff, all the things you mentioned (position, start of braking and accel, time) are all things you get via gps and calcs off the gps data.

A key thing to check with apex is whether you can share data or if you need to get a driver in your car to get data from them to compare against (maybe that isn’t a concern in a $$ street car you won’t let anyone drive, and everyone’s config is different so it’s hard to benchmark).

Also check what sensors f8x gives. I don’t think throttle position and brake pressure come out of the odbII but I admittedly haven’t looked very hard.

I’m using an aim dash logger with throttle and brake pressure sensors, and my teammate sometimes brings a solo 2 dl.

We are going to try data only reviews for a while longer, but I’m probably going to bite the bullet to add smartycam
For sure. I have the smarty/aim combo as well but grabbed the apex since I often carry too little speed through corners and wanted to see if it would help me see, in that moment, how much I'm leaving on the table.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 12:54 PM   #13
derpimpkar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

those who have the apex pro, where/how do you mount it? i's like to stick it on the dash just above the steering wheel (don't have HUD) so it'll act like a HUD but nothing seems to stick to the dash.
      03-04-2020, 02:56 AM   #14
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
I have one, the app is free and does lap timing (the phone has to be connected during the laps as the unit itself doesn't store any data) and basic analysis.
The subscription gets you extra features.

I don't find the real time feedback very useful, I have it mounted directly in my line of vision using their mount (https://apextrackcoach.com/product/suction-cup-mount/) but I don't find myself looking at it. Others may find it more helpful.

I also have the ODB dongle and the information provided isn't very useful. I just get throttle position at a very low refresh rate.
It looks like this when analysed in Track Attack

Personally I'd go with a Solo DL if I was buying again.

You can see the unit in action here
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 07:52 PM   #15
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
For sure. I have the smarty/aim combo as well but grabbed the apex since I often carry too little speed through corners and wanted to see if it would help me see, in that moment, how much I'm leaving on the table.
I’m going through the same thing right now, and riding with a faster teammate helps me a lot to understand how much grip is on the table, and to review data and vids with me.

It’s really important that the resolution of the brake pressure and throttle position sensors have a good refresh rate, regardless of your recorder.

I just bit the bullet to get a smartycam to the aim dash logger
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 08:02 PM   #16
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I’m going through the same thing right now, and riding with a faster teammate helps me a lot to understand how much grip is on the table, and to review data and vids with me.

It’s really important that the resolution of the brake pressure and throttle position sensors have a good refresh rate, regardless of your recorder.

I just bit the bullet to get a smartycam to the aim dash logger
I just realized you're in NorCal too so you're welcome to check it out the next trackday we're both at. Or use it for a few sessions too if you want.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 10:38 AM   #17
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I just realized you're in NorCal too so you're welcome to check it out the next trackday we're both at. Or use it for a few sessions too if you want.
Awesome thank you. Looking forward to meeting up

When are your next events? I did the Sonoma testing day yesterday, might to NASA 3/14 and will be at Thill for drifting school 3/21

my track car is a black NA Miata with silver roof. Car number 2. It also has a license plate and orange rookie square on the rear.
Appreciate 0