BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

02-25-2020, 10:59 AM   #1
atruelunatic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: n/a

Forgot to plug coolant temp sensor

So I'm getting error code 2AF9 - Coolant Temperature Sensor

I just replaced the water pump and thermostat. I might have forgotten to plug in the wire harness to the temp sensor. How bad is this? I have 25 miles to drive home where I can get back to it to double check.

I'm just getting a service engine soon light (yellow).

When I have the plenum off and can get to the temperature sensor, is there a way I can check to make sure it's functioning OK before reassembling the plenum?
      02-25-2020, 11:47 AM   #2
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

Clear the fault code and see if it shows up again. Wouldn't this error show up on a test drive after doing all the work? Like a couple times around the block?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 12:49 PM   #3
atruelunatic
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvrider1 View Post
Clear the fault code and see if it shows up again. Wouldn't this error show up on a test drive after doing all the work? Like a couple times around the block?
I did the work at a garage that has a fixed closing time so I was pressed against that. I finished the work, took the car out and checked faults. Thought the original fault was because I had everything unplugged so I cleared it and immediately drove home.

When I clear the code, the CEL doesn't come back on until I restart the car. So by then I was home. It came back on when I took the car out today to work and cleared it, but it came back on after I got gas. So now I'm at work with possibly an unplugged coolant sensor.

I would've thought something like this would be a limp mode error, but guess not.
      02-25-2020, 05:41 PM   #4
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

What fault code are you seeing that you are clearing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atruelunatic View Post
I did the work at a garage that has a fixed closing time so I was pressed against that. I finished the work, took the car out and checked faults. Thought the original fault was because I had everything unplugged so I cleared it and immediately drove home.

When I clear the code, the CEL doesn't come back on until I restart the car. So by then I was home. It came back on when I took the car out today to work and cleared it, but it came back on after I got gas. So now I'm at work with possibly an unplugged coolant sensor.

I would've thought something like this would be a limp mode error, but guess not.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 06:14 AM   #5
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Not a big deal. Probably not properly connected. Only bummer is that you'll most likely have to take the intake plenum off again unless you have access to some really tiny hands.
Both the coolant temp sensor and air temp sensor (on the intake of the plenum) will give you increased emissions warning light if not hooked up.
Simplest approach right now is take connector off (or it might already be off) reconnect, make sure it looks good, clear your codes and you should be good to go.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 10:51 AM   #6
atruelunatic
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
Not a big deal. Probably not properly connected. Only bummer is that you'll most likely have to take the intake plenum off again unless you have access to some really tiny hands.
Both the coolant temp sensor and air temp sensor (on the intake of the plenum) will give you increased emissions warning light if not hooked up.
Simplest approach right now is take connector off (or it might already be off) reconnect, make sure it looks good, clear your codes and you should be good to go.
The connector wasn't fully seated. Had to take off the plenum then just pressed down on it until I heard it lock into place.

Surprised I only got the 2AF9 fault code (Carly didn't give me a P code) and no other warning like the increased emissions warning.
jvictormp881.00
      02-26-2020, 07:17 PM   #7
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E92 6MT

Glad you returned with updates.
Appreciate 0