BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-10-2020, 01:18 AM   #1
c0bra
Commander ;)
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88 N54

30k miles / 11 yrs - N54 Recommended Maintenance

Time for 30k service / maintenance for my second owner 1er!

I've gone through forum posts, Mike Miller schedule, So You Just Bought an E90, Bav Auto, etc etc. I want to get the car ready for occasional AutoX and maybe HPDE, but mostly I want to keep it running well for spirited top down drives!

2009 E88 N54 AT with 30,100 miles
BMS DCI, VRSF downpipes, MHD 1/1+. I'll be installing PSP intercooler and VRSF charge pipe in the coming weeks.

Aside from routine maintenance, car had HPFP replaced at 13.5k and DSC unit and ABS pump replaced at 25.5k.

Recently done:
Oil change - LM 5W-40
Bosch plugs and Delphi coils
Cabin microfilter
New tires

30k service To Do List:
Brake fluid flush - New pads and rotors soon.
Coolant drain and fill
Power steering fluid
BMW Inspection 1 and 2

Other items to consider between now and 50k miles:
Vanos solenoid cleaning
Vacuum lines
Battery - No signs of impending death, but it's 11 yrs old.
Serpentine belt - Good shape, but again 11 yrs old.
Valve cover gasket and OFHG - Preventative replacement or wait for failure?
Trans and diff fluid - Now or at 50k?
Walnut blast - 40 or 50k?

What am I missing? Anything from other items list that should be done asap? Things I shouldn't bother with?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 06:43 AM   #2
ethan82
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2009 128i

The valve cover gasket and OFHG don’t just immediately go bad, you’ll have some drips beforehand. Also, they’re pretty easy, so no real harm in waiting until you know you need them.

One of my 1ers didn’t need them replaced until 100k miles

Battery? I just replaced mine on a 2009 this year after the start felt a tad (and I mean a tad) sluggish. And it didn’t even fix the issue. But for piece of mind I’d probably replace it

I’ve seen guys on here needing to clean out carbon build up even after as little as 30 so you may want to check on that.

Unrelated? How are you liking the VSRF downpipes? I’m thinking of picking some up soon
Appreciate 1
c0bra185.00
      06-10-2020, 08:18 AM   #3
Edrift
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i E88

I was in a similar boat as you - 2008 e88 135i, 2nd owner with 50000km (just over 30k miles).

I just changed:
Front pads and rotors (still had life but I got a good deal on parts)
Diff fluid (because it's cheap and easy to diy)
Power steering fluid (again cheap and easy)
Valve clean (because the city was in iso and it's something to do. Very tiring cleaning by hand but we'll worth it)
I did the oil, filter, air filter and brake fluid when I bought the car at 30k miles/46k km.
Also paid someone to do the water pump and thermostat when it died shortly after buying the car.
Would suggest doing all the easy DIY first, then seriously consider the water pump and thermostat.

When I bought the car it still had the original front tires which had plenty of tread but were cracking so they got replaced. How are your tyres looking?
Appreciate 1
c0bra185.00
      06-10-2020, 02:24 PM   #4
c0bra
Commander ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan82 View Post
The valve cover gasket and OFHG don’t just immediately go bad, you’ll have some drips beforehand. Also, they’re pretty easy, so no real harm in waiting until you know you need them.

One of my 1ers didn’t need them replaced until 100k miles

Battery? I just replaced mine on a 2009 this year after the start felt a tad (and I mean a tad) sluggish. And it didn’t even fix the issue. But for piece of mind I’d probably replace it

I’ve seen guys on here needing to clean out carbon build up even after as little as 30 so you may want to check on that.

Unrelated? How are you liking the VSRF downpipes? I’m thinking of picking some up soon
Good to know the gaskets fail slowly and won't have oil spewing everywhere. I'll just keep my eye on em then.

I'm leaning more and more towards proactively replacing the battery. Like you said, peace of mind.

The car was stock for the first 25k, so I'm hoping that means less carbon gunk? Pretty sure I'm gonna end up DIY blasting, so I'll probably get to it around 35 or 40k.

Loving the VRSF dps! Better low end response that you can really feel. Louder than stock with more turbo spool noise, but far from being obnoxious. Recently posted some thoughts on the dps here: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show...90&postcount=7

The install wasn't complicated, but the tight spaces and awkward angles definitely don't make it easy. Heat shield removal and especially the V-band clamps were time killers for me. Also, bolts between old dps and mid pipes wouldn't come off even after overnight soak in PB Blaster (the life of a 10 yo Northeast car). Ended up just shearing off 3 of 4 bolts using a breaker bar. No harm to the mid connections, and I have no reason to go back to the stock dps anyway.

Those V-bands are a major PITA though. I found that fitting on the edge opposite the bolt was key. Some recommend to do one side of the clamp at a time, but that was not working for me.

Random V-band pic. I worked the circled part on first. A combination of feel and wiggling gets it done.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 03:20 PM   #5
c0bra
Commander ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrift View Post
I was in a similar boat as you - 2008 e88 135i, 2nd owner with 50000km (just over 30k miles).

I just changed:
Front pads and rotors (still had life but I got a good deal on parts)
Diff fluid (because it's cheap and easy to diy)
Power steering fluid (again cheap and easy)
Valve clean (because the city was in iso and it's something to do. Very tiring cleaning by hand but we'll worth it)
I did the oil, filter, air filter and brake fluid when I bought the car at 30k miles/46k km.
Also paid someone to do the water pump and thermostat when it died shortly after buying the car.
Would suggest doing all the easy DIY first, then seriously consider the water pump and thermostat.

When I bought the car it still had the original front tires which had plenty of tread but were cracking so they got replaced. How are your tyres looking?
Very similar boat for sure! Any other major jobs besides water pump?

The CBS indicators show brake pad life of 7k (11 km) front and 12k (20 km) rear, but I will likely replace early like you did. I will definitely be doing the easy stuff real soon: power steering, coolant, brake fluid, etc.

How did the old diff fluid look when you changed it?

I had a blowout on OEM rubber when I got the car, so I replaced all 4 to PZero RFTs and had to straighten a rim. I chose runflats because trunk space in the vert is at a premium, and I can't imagine not having a spare with normal tires. Also, waiting for a flatbed tow around here is another issue.

Of course I had another pothole induced blowout a couple months ago, but luckily the tire was replaced under warranty. I did bend a rim again though, a 261M. 2 blowouts and bent rims in around 4k miles.

So now I'm starting to believe the runflats are more likely to fail. I am seriously considering sacrificing the trunk space so I can run standard tires and new wheels, maybe even 17s for our horrible roads.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 09:52 PM   #6
Converted1
Wolfsburg to Munich
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Convertible M-Sport

Welcome to the 1addict, cabrio, RFT blowout and bent 261 club. I once got 2 blowouts a 1/4 mile from each other on the meadow brook parkway. I was pulling off the road from the first when the second one happened.

I still have runflats, but upsized then fronts to 225, and wear binoculars when I drive. It’s seems to have gotten better. Roads have also improved since we had a few mild winters.
Appreciate 1
c0bra185.00
      06-12-2020, 02:21 PM   #7
c0bra
Commander ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converted1 View Post
Welcome to the 1addict, cabrio, RFT blowout and bent 261 club. I once got 2 blowouts a 1/4 mile from each other on the meadow brook parkway. I was pulling off the road from the first when the second one happened.

I still have runflats, but upsized then fronts to 225, and wear binoculars when I drive. It’s seems to have gotten better. Roads have also improved since we had a few mild winters.
That is some bad luck! My 2 blowouts were on I-87 and I-95. Next set of tires are going to be wider for sure!

I'm also in Westchester, maybe I'll see you around. BSM / Red int / M stripe on blk grill. Looking to AutoX, maybe HPDE this summer. Have you run with any groups around here?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 03:34 PM   #8
Converted1
Wolfsburg to Munich
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Convertible M-Sport

I have Cabrio so the HPDE is limited. I do autocross with the NY Metro PCA out in Long Island at Tobay Beach. They are very well run events and I recommend them. They do them in spring and fall before and after the beach season. I’ll keep an eye out for you, I’m in a SGM Vert/Lemon Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0bra View Post
That is some bad luck! My 2 blowouts were on I-87 and I-95. Next set of tires are going to be wider for sure!

I'm also in Westchester, maybe I'll see you around. BSM / Red int / M stripe on blk grill. Looking to AutoX, maybe HPDE this summer. Have you run with any groups around here?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 11:50 PM   #9
c0bra
Commander ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Converted1 View Post
I have Cabrio so the HPDE is limited. I do autocross with the NY Metro PCA out in Long Island at Tobay Beach. They are very well run events and I recommend them. They do them in spring and fall before and after the beach season. I’ll keep an eye out for you, I’m in a SGM Vert/Lemon Boston
I was looking at BMWCCA and SCCA for AutoX. I'll have to look into PCA, didn't know they would be cool with BMWs.

Our verts have factory installed roll protection. It appears we are approved for HPDE with NASA, HOD, and SCCA Track Night.
Appreciate 0