BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-20-2020, 04:12 PM   #1
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Cherokee

Instrument Cluster fuse

I had some wackiness going on with my cluster the last few days. Car is a 2013. The situation is as follows:
Driving along normal and all of a sudden all needles on the dash go to zero and then whip back to normal. The dash lights up like Rockefeller Center Christmas tree and Idrive basically says my car is going to explode. This happens at a 1 second intervals. Had my brother scan the car with a generic scanner and came back with P15FE and P110F codes. Cleared them at 2pm today and drove 30min home. All good.

Got on this here computer machine and did a little digging...might be a bad cluster fuse. OK, cool looks like its fuse 58. Is that right? I am looking for confirmation because i have seen a few different diagrams with different spots for the instrument fuse and my fat sausage fingers/hand its not getting along with the sharp plastic fuse box location.

Please help I am bleeding.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 06:26 PM   #2
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

When mine did what you're describing, it was a fried junction box in the trunk. Took a while for the dealership to figure it out. Dealership found water in the cavity where the junction box sat which was the cause of the box being fried.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 11:18 AM   #3
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@EuroJerks View Post
I had some wackiness going on with my cluster the last few days. Car is a 2013. The situation is as follows:
Driving along normal and all of a sudden all needles on the dash go to zero and then whip back to normal. The dash lights up like Rockefeller Center Christmas tree and Idrive basically says my car is going to explode. This happens at a 1 second intervals. Had my brother scan the car with a generic scanner and came back with P15FE and P110F codes. Cleared them at 2pm today and drove 30min home. All good.

Got on this here computer machine and did a little digging...might be a bad cluster fuse. OK, cool looks like its fuse 58. Is that right? I am looking for confirmation because i have seen a few different diagrams with different spots for the instrument fuse and my fat sausage fingers/hand its not getting along with the sharp plastic fuse box location.

Please help I am bleeding.
There should be a fuse diagram back there in that fuse cavity, might have to loose a few knuckles to get to it though. And as ZX10 said, could also be a fried FRM Module, which I think has an extended warranty on it.

NVM, ready ZX10's reply again, he was talking about a different module. But still could be FRM as that's what sends the signals to the dash.

Or if you have a JB4, could also be that. A few years ago when I still had mine on, a grounding issue was causing my dash to randomly act weird too.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 11:34 AM   #4
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
There should be a fuse diagram back there in that fuse cavity, might have to loose a few knuckles to get to it though. And as ZX10 said, could also be a fried FRM Module, which I think has an extended warranty on it.

NVM, ready ZX10's reply again, he was talking about a different module. But still could be FRM as that's what sends the signals to the dash.

Or if you have a JB4, could also be that. A few years ago when I still had mine on, a grounding issue was causing my dash to randomly act weird too.
Yes, it's a different module. I'll have to find the work order that has the part number on it. It was definitely a module in the trunk. As I had a water bottle there that they thought was the cause. But the water bottle was never opened and they can clearly see nothing has leaked out of it. I understand they were doing their due diligence in making sure I wasn't the one that caused the water damage. But they also examined the rest of the trunk liner/floor and none of it was wet. I mentioned to the service department I had body work done by their body department on the rear bumper. We were both thinking it was them that caused the water infiltration. Since that incident, I've never had another water related issue and I've driven my car through some torrential down pours. Never found out if the service department presented the claim against the factory warranty or if they charged it to the body shop. Don't really care as I wasn't the cause and it was covered at no charge for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 02:02 PM   #5
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Cherokee

Thank you. I will check those spots for water.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 03:14 PM   #6
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

This is the part number for the junction box they replaced:

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 03:17 PM   #7
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep