Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

06-26-2020, 10:32 PM   #1
apexM4
2015 Silver Stone M4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Silverstone BMW M4

Track/Street Suspension suggestions

So a little background:
In 2014ish I got the itch for learning the ropes of HPDE and tracking my at the time 2012 Evo X. I found Ryan gates through the internet and was able to purchase the first set of 311rs spec JRZ RS1s (outside of his tailored production cars). In short I hated them, clunking and noises were unbearable and just didn’t live up to the “perfect street/track” name they were advertised as. I spoke to him and as awesome person he is we worked out a deal to upgrade into the newer 2 way RS Pros. Also got in contact with Bryan at JRZ to help dial them in at Sebring. I was doing about 3-4 track days a year and ultimately It was an awesome experience at the later stages of ownership but I have a bit of a sour taste left from the headaches I had to go through.

So here I am learning this new platform (2015 M4) and I’m really interested in trying something other than JRZ. I loved how versatile the RS Pros could be driving around town and as some of you may know they handled bumpy Sebring like champs! In the street they behaved wonderfully, sure a little stiff but I don’t mind that feel at all. So im looking for some suggestions into a proper street/mainly track focused suspension set up that will stay around the $5k range with 2 way adjustability maybe 3 way. I have researched a bit and so far have been drawn to Moton, MCS, KW 3 way, Nitron or just suck it up and go back to JRZ?

I know there may be some other threads discussing this but they all seem a bit dated and I know the technology has shifted. Also what spring rates do these cars like or are popular starting points?

Thanks for your inputs!

Last edited by apexM4; 06-27-2020 at 06:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 07:48 PM   #2
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Get MCS, talk to Phil at bimmerworld. 600/900 is a very common starting rate. I have a set of MCS2WNR with 500/800 ready to go on my car shortly.
Appreciate 1
fanatic11018.50
      06-28-2020, 05:34 AM   #3
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexM4 View Post
So a little background:
In 2014ish I got the itch for learning the ropes of HPDE and tracking my at the time 2012 Evo X. I found Ryan gates through the internet and was able to purchase the first set of 311rs spec JRZ RS1s (outside of his tailored production cars). In short I hated them, clunking and noises were unbearable and just didn’t live up to the “perfect street/track” name they were advertised as. I spoke to him and as awesome person he is we worked out a deal to upgrade into the newer 2 way RS Pros. Also got in contact with Bryan at JRZ to help dial them in at Sebring. I was doing about 3-4 track days a year and ultimately It was an awesome experience at the later stages of ownership but I have a bit of a sour taste left from the headaches I had to go through.

So here I am learning this new platform (2015 M4) and I’m really interested in trying something other than JRZ. I loved how versatile the RS Pros could be driving around town and as some of you may know they handled bumpy Sebring like champs! In the street they behaved wonderfully, sure a little stiff but I don’t mind that feel at all. So im looking for some suggestions into a proper street/mainly track focused suspension set up that will stay around the $5k range with 2 way adjustability maybe 3 way. I have researched a bit and so far have been drawn to Moton, MCS, KW 3 way, Nitron or just suck it up and go back to JRZ?

I know there may be some other threads discussing this but they all seem a bit dated and I know the technology has shifted. Also what spring rates do these cars like or are popular starting points?

Thanks for your inputs!
Although the MCS stuff is super nice. For dual duty, TC Kline coilovers are king and highly developed for street/track use. Ask TC for the dual duty settings, set it and forget it!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 09:59 AM   #4
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Get MCS, talk to Phil at bimmerworld. 600/900 is a very common starting rate. I have a set of MCS2WNR with 500/800 ready to go on my car shortly.
Love to hear your experience once installed, considering this exact set up
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2020, 01:29 PM   #5
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Get the Ground Control Coilover Kit if you are looking for the best Street/Track setup. Save the rest of the money for a square wheel/tire setup and proper brake pads.
Appreciate 1
David0ff1059.00
      06-29-2020, 06:56 AM   #6
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatic1 View Post
Quote:
Love to hear your experience once installed, considering this exact set up
Sure thing. Assuming all the timings work out and everything is here on time they will be going on next Monday then straight to the track for a 3 day shakedown 😀
Appreciate 1
fanatic11018.50
      06-29-2020, 03:23 PM   #7
apexM4
2015 Silver Stone M4
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So im really leaning towards this route but i really liked the ease of 'on the fly' adjustments having the remote canisters so im going to look into it. Kinda turned off by the fact that MCS breaks everything up into a lego set that you have to buy and piece separately :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboyE92 View Post
Although the MCS stuff is super nice. For dual duty, TC Kline coilovers are king and highly developed for street/track use. Ask TC for the dual duty settings, set it and forget it!
I checked out your posts on this and they sound like a great solution. Gonna dive a little deeper into them see what they have to offer. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Speed77 View Post
Get the Ground Control Coilover Kit if you are looking for the best Street/Track setup. Save the rest of the money for a square wheel/tire setup and proper brake pads.
I also read up on your build and progress through time attack, interesting read and seems like they are working well for you. Ill def. be adding these to the list.

Im curious how everyone feels about KW 3 way clubsports and motons. Havent seen much input on the forums about them. I've been trying to find more info on the moton 2 way remote canister. Are they still the good company they once were?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 03:42 PM   #8
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
So im really leaning towards this route but i really liked the ease of 'on the fly' adjustments having the remote canisters so im going to look into it. Kinda turned off by the fact that MCS breaks everything up into a lego set that you have to buy and piece separately :/

I checked out your posts on this and they sound like a great solution. Gonna dive a little deeper into them see what they have to offer. Thanks!

I also read up on your build and progress through time attack, interesting read and seems like they are working well for you. Ill def. be adding these to the list.

Im curious how everyone feels about KW 3 way clubsports and motons. Havent seen much input on the forums about them. I've been trying to find more info on the moton 2 way remote canister. Are they still the good company they once were?
Also look at M3post for feedback on TCK coilovers. TC doesn't market on the forums as much as they use to. TCK's have been known to go 100,000 street miles before needing a rebuild. Also, most average track drivers will not go any faster whether they are on TCKs or MCS.
Appreciate 1
The_Werm212.00
      06-29-2020, 09:58 PM   #9
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

I've got some KW Clubsport 3way's sitting in my garage waiting to go on. I am interested to see how they feel between street and track settings.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 10:13 PM   #10
Continental02
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

I had a great experience with AST 5200s and would absolutely recommend them. From what I understand, they are very similar to the Moton system as it's the same company. They felt superb on the street, and the car felt like it was on rails when on the track. The remote reservoirs are a must if you drive on more than one track, or do a wet track day.

Even one click on the remote reservoirs would make a massive difference. I found the two-ways were perfect for me to fine-tune the car as I don't have enough suspension knowledge to get the use out of three-ways. Something to keep in mind is that most people do more harm than good when getting into a three-way adjustable suspension unless you have a team helping you set the car up.
Appreciate 1
fanatic11018.50
      06-30-2020, 12:09 PM   #11
apexM4
2015 Silver Stone M4
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continental02 View Post
I had a great experience with AST 5200s and would absolutely recommend them. From what I understand, they are very similar to the Moton system as it's the same company. They felt superb on the street, and the car felt like it was on rails when on the track. The remote reservoirs are a must if you drive on more than one track, or do a wet track day.

Even one click on the remote reservoirs would make a massive difference. I found the two-ways were perfect for me to fine-tune the car as I don't have enough suspension knowledge to get the use out of three-ways. Something to keep in mind is that most people do more harm than good when getting into a three-way adjustable suspension unless you have a team helping you set the car up.
Very true, I’ll check these out.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 11:15 AM   #12
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

How about the oem height adjustable spring kit and aftermarket front camber plates, if you want to keep it simple
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 01:10 PM   #13
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I've had JRZ 2 way and found the clicking and noises to be unbearable. I got rid of them, moved to MCS and haven't looked back since.

A nice advantage of MCS is you can get track settings established by a race driver who only races BMW M cars for your setup vs fighting to make your own setup.
The 2WNR on the E9X cars adjusts in your trunk for the rears and the engine bay for the fronts, it's pretty easy to access.
5k gets you a 2WNR setup which is very solid.

I've used TCK on a track E92. I've disliked every Koni shock based kit I've ever used and this was no exception. It's a cheap shock and this is clear from driving it on the street or on the track.
Appreciate 1
fanatic11018.50
      07-01-2020, 06:57 PM   #14
apexM4
2015 Silver Stone M4
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
How about the oem height adjustable spring kit and aftermarket front camber plates, if you want to keep it simple
Unfortunately i dont have EDC shocks, if not i'd probably give the stock set up a bit more of a chance. Im gonna do a couple track days stock just to see the progression, but definitely set on a stout 2way/3way coilover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I've had JRZ 2 way and found the clicking and noises to be unbearable. I got rid of them, moved to MCS and haven't looked back since.

A nice advantage of MCS is you can get track settings established by a race driver who only races BMW M cars for your setup vs fighting to make your own setup.
The 2WNR on the E9X cars adjusts in your trunk for the rears and the engine bay for the fronts, it's pretty easy to access.
5k gets you a 2WNR setup which is very solid.

I've used TCK on a track E92. I've disliked every Koni shock based kit I've ever used and this was no exception. It's a cheap shock and this is clear from driving it on the street or on the track.
Yup, i was lucky and didnt have too many issues with my JRZ two ways but the RS1's were unbareable, i thought something in the car was broken. do you know if the F8x MCS 2WNR is also adjustable from the trunk in the rear? Im leaning to the remote version with MCS just because of that, seems like it'd be a pain to get back there on the F8x platform. Also i would be doing some adjustments b/w streetdriving, sebring, the FIRM, auto x, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spun Crankhub View Post
I've got some KW Clubsport 3way's sitting in my garage waiting to go on. I am interested to see how they feel between street and track settings.
Would love to hear some feedback on these!! When do you plan on mounting them?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 07:00 PM   #15
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Unfortunately i dont have EDC shocks, if not i'd probably give the stock set up a bit more of a chance. Im gonna do a couple track days stock just to see the progression, but definitely set on a stout 2way/3way coilover.
Apparently (from old Albert B interviews posted on these forums back in 2014-2015) the passive dampers are configured to be between sport and sport+ of the edc dampers.

Also If you don’t have front camber plates and you have some good experience, my $0.02 is you’ll just be wasting your front tire outer shoulder in your first couple of track days. I took the stock pss on my car to the cords in 3 dry and 1 wet DE

Edit: I didn’t see it discussed earlier, but another thing to toss in the ring is that kw 3 way clubsport is (I think) the oem suspension for m4 gts. You could potentially use those settings developed for that platform, if a start point is a key thing of interest to you. I was eyeing these before i sold my car

Last edited by nicknaz; 07-01-2020 at 07:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
mrahp2383.50
      07-01-2020, 07:11 PM   #16
apexM4
2015 Silver Stone M4
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Apparently (from old Albert B interviews posted on these forums back in 2014-2015) the passive dampers are configured to be between sport and sport+ of the edc dampers.

Also If you don’t have front camber plates and you have some good experience, my $0.02 is you’ll just be wasting your front tire outer shoulder in your first couple of track days. I took the stock pss on my car to the cords in 3 dry and 1 wet DE

Edit: I didn’t see it discussed earlier, but another thing to toss in the ring is that kw 3 way clubsport is (I think) the oem suspension for m4 gts. You could potentially use those settings developed for that platform, if a start point is a key thing of interest to you. I was eyeing these before i sold my car
Oh well thats def. good to know! ive been on the fence about getting some camber plates, i guess it wouldnt be a waste since they would translate right over to the MCS' if i went that route. As far s the KW3ways, yes! thats exactly my thoughts and why im so interested in them. Hoping for someone with some experience with them to chime in. I do know the valving is a bit different so wonder how they feel first hand.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 08:28 PM   #17
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Also If you don't have front camber plates and you have some good experience, my $0.02 is you'll just be wasting your front tire outer shoulder in your first couple of track days. I took the stock pss on my car to the cords in 3 dry and 1 wet DE

Edit: I didn't see it discussed earlier, but another thing to toss in the ring is that kw 3 way clubsport is (I think) the oem suspension for m4 gts. You could potentially use those settings developed for that platform, if a start point is a key thing of interest to you. I was eyeing these before i sold my car
Oh well thats def. good to know! ive been on the fence about getting some camber plates, i guess it wouldnt be a waste since they would translate right over to the MCS' if i went that route. As far s the KW3ways, yes! thats exactly my thoughts and why im so interested in them. Hoping for someone with some experience with them to chime in. I do know the valving is a bit different so wonder how they feel first hand.
Camber plates will pay for themselves quickly, but you will need to get the correct spring size adapter when going from stock to coilovers/MCS - Think it's only around $150 edit $62.98
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 11:30 PM   #18
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Early stages of Ohlins RT here. My first track day one them will be WGI at the end of July. So far on the street they are very bearable - 3 clicks from softest is where I settled on and it works great.

I also have the new Vorschlag camber plates, early days but a bit more road noise transmitted than my previous Ground Control.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 10:02 AM   #19
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Yup, i was lucky and didnt have too many issues with my JRZ two ways but the RS1's were unbareable, i thought something in the car was broken. do you know if the F8x MCS 2WNR is also adjustable from the trunk in the rear? Im leaning to the remote version with MCS just because of that, seems like it'd be a pain to get back there on the F8x platform. Also i would be doing some adjustments b/w streetdriving, sebring, the FIRM, auto x, etc.
The MCS 2WNR on the F8X is adjusted from the top of the shock, but it's eye -to-eye in the rear so you have to snake your hand into the wheel well top after jacking the car up. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

A M4 GTS I help set up moved from the KW 3W to the MCS 3W, large positive difference. I'd do a MCS 2WNR before a KW 3W
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 07:19 AM   #20
elite53
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E70 X5 35i

I have had the KW Clubsport 3ways on my car for a couple weeks now. So far I'm very happy with them. They don't have any weird clunking noises and respond very well to setting changes. They ride nice on the street, not overly stiff and KW's recommended settings are really good. I added a bit more rebound stiffness than they suggested and I couldn't be happier. Haven't been on track yet but I don't foresee any issues there either. In the past I've had AST 5100's, KW DDC's, and FEAL coilovers. The Clubsports are light years ahead of those others as they should be being nearly twice as expensive. I'm not sure what else I can say about them? I would recommend them to anyone looking for a street/track set up.
Appreciate 1
jwt679.00
      07-12-2020, 01:50 AM   #21
M2 GT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C

Just offering personal experience in case anyone is considering Ohlins. Last year I tracked my M2C with the original setup from Ohlins. In low-speed corners, I felt the car still rolled a bit much. After doing some research I came across Barry at 3DM motorsport and we decided on a custom setup with stiffer springs and valving to match those springs. The car feels amazing on track now, especially in mid-corner where the dampers are not in motion. For reference, the original springs were 9kg/mm and 19kg/mm, and the new setup is with 12kg/mm and 22kg/mm. I know some complained about the original springs to be too stiff but I never found that to be the case; it was just right for the street and too soft for the track. A few of my friends who are racing in Europe with their M2s also agree with this. I plan on writing a detailed post after some more testing, but for anyone who is considering Ohlins I recommend giving Barry a call.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 06:16 PM   #22
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 GT View Post
Just offering personal experience in case anyone is considering Ohlins. Last year I tracked my M2C with the original setup from Ohlins. In low-speed corners, I felt the car still rolled a bit much. After doing some research I came across Barry at 3DM motorsport and we decided on a custom setup with stiffer springs and valving to match those springs. The car feels amazing on track now, especially in mid-corner where the dampers are not in motion. For reference, the original springs were 9kg/mm and 19kg/mm, and the new setup is with 12kg/mm and 22kg/mm. I know some complained about the original springs to be too stiff but I never found that to be the case; it was just right for the street and too soft for the track. A few of my friends who are racing in Europe with their M2s also agree with this. I plan on writing a detailed post after some more testing, but for anyone who is considering Ohlins I recommend giving Barry a call.
The original R&T rear spring rate on the F8x was higher than your new 22 kg/mm rear rate.
Appreciate 1
M2 GT67.00