GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-01-2020, 05:15 PM   #1
Danlnyc88
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp, 2017 Macan Turbo

Pedal Commander

Has anybody used one of these before in their car?

I just picked up a Macan Turbo and this product called Pedal Commander was recommended on the forums so I just decided to pick one up. Unfortunately, the item arrived today and the car is in for minor service so I can't try it out.

I noticed on their website they had one available for the M4 as well.

"Eliminates Delay. Nowadays, vehicles are notorious for their delayed throttle response. That's where the Pedal Commander comes in. These days, vehicles use a drive-by-wire system that monitors the position of the gas pedal to control the throttle electronically, similar to a dimmer switch. The problem with this setup is that the signal from the pedal has to first be sent the ECU, which in turn then sends the signal to the actuator motor that controls the throttle body itself. This delay is most noticeable when trying to speed up to merge with fast moving traffic or pass a slower moving car. However, the Pedal Commander Bluetooth Throttle Response Controller will eliminate that delayed throttled response, giving your vehicle a drastic night and day difference in performance."

-Directly from their website.

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 05:20 PM   #2
Maitre_Absolut
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 CS, Audi RS6

I was on the Macan forums for a couple of years when I had my GTS and never heard anybody bring this up.

Honestly not sure what you're looking for. Its not going to eliminate turbo lag. Its a generic one size fits all industry gimmick.
17 Porsche Macan GTS
14 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 06:27 PM   #3
Danlnyc88
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp, 2017 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitre_Absolut View Post
I was on the Macan forums for a couple of years when I had my GTS and never heard anybody bring this up.

Honestly not sure what you're looking for. Its not going to eliminate turbo lag. Its a generic one size fits all industry gimmick.
I dont think this is for turbo lag.

I'm not sure if it's the same on the GTS however on the Turbo there is definitely a noticeable lag between the throttle and the response. This device is supposedly supposed to fix that issue. There's been a lot of good things said on the forums so I thought this would fix the issue.

Just curious, did you ever modify your GTS? I have a stage 1 tune from cobb and intakes on the way.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 06:37 PM   #4
Mineral///M4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW ///M4 Coupe

My Son’s 2009 Tacoma came w/ one already installed. Seems cool/needed for it. But for a Pcar or a BMW I would not think that this is the right choice.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 07:22 PM   #5
Maitre_Absolut
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 CS, Audi RS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danlnyc88 View Post
I dont think this is for turbo lag.

I'm not sure if it's the same on the GTS however on the Turbo there is definitely a noticeable lag between the throttle and the response. This device is supposedly supposed to fix that issue. There's been a lot of good things said on the forums so I thought this would fix the issue.

Just curious, did you ever modify your GTS? I have a stage 1 tune from cobb and intakes on the way.
What you are describing (lag between throttle and response) is turbo lag, and what Im saying is dont expect it to go away with this. IIRC what this effectively does is apply 100% throttle at a very early input.

No I didnt modify it, the only car I ever kept stock! It was great out of the box.
17 Porsche Macan GTS
14 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 07:30 AM   #6
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
This device is not required on newer BMWs - throttle mapping changes with the driving mode that is selected, and gets more aggressive in Sport and Sport+ modes.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 1
Danlnyc88440.50