proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-04-2020, 10:29 PM   #1
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Bmw M4 steering feel/coding

Just got an M4. It's a 2016 non comp DCT with adaptive suspension.

I've driven a million porsches, BMW M cars, AMG's etc. This car has blown me away in terms of power for a stock car, power delivery, the DCT, grip around turns etc.

My only issue with this car is that the steering can feel rubbery at times. I know what direct electronic steering feels like, and this is like 7/10 of the way there. I've driven f30's and f32's and other non M cars and those are easily like a 2/10 with terrible steering feel. I assumed because this was an M car the last thing I'd have an issue with is the steering .

It's not really the feedback, it's more about how there's a little bit of play in the steering that has no effect on the front wheels, the feeling of fighting a rubber band etc.

I have no interest in coding most of the GTS features in yet, but my question is would the GTS steering coding improve that? I heard it removes the rubbery-ness. Is there any coding I can do to make it slightly sharper.

I like tight steering so I use sport plus. Idk how people like comfort when driving hard it honestly feels terrible to me way too lose.

In general, it does have a nice feel to it no doubt it's just the extra directness you'd expect from an M I'm missing. I know the competition cars are better for handling but I didn't realize that a non comp would feel like this when I was looking at them.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 10:34 PM   #2
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2020 F87 M2CS  [8.56]
2010 E92 M3  [8.37]
yes do the gts coding it'll help remove a majority of that dead center"rubbery" feeling you're talking about. I would recommend the gts diff/mdm and cs dampers coding as well, especially since you're on a non zcp
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 10:36 PM   #3
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevils7 View Post
yes do the gts coding it'll help remove a majority of that dead center"rubbery" feeling you're talking about. I would recommend the gts diff/mdm and cs dampers coding as well, especially since you're on a non zcp
The CS has a different suspension though so why do people code in the EDC.

Thanks for the feedback btw.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 01:58 AM   #4
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdrdf82 View Post

How different it actually is would be up for debate. Lots of folks here with lowering springs found that the CS edc settings made the car ride/handle better. Not as good as a CS but its an improvement.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 03:30 AM   #5
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2020 F87 M2CS  [8.56]
2010 E92 M3  [8.37]
Quote:
Quote:

the actual struts are the same. the zcp and cs share the same springs (different from non zcp) and rear sway bar (different from non zcp). the non zcp and cs f82 share the same front sway bar tho (different from zcp). your struts are providing all the dampening thus why the cs dampening software will help (significantly more noticeable imo on a non zcp vs. zcp)
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 04:32 AM   #6
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

the actual struts are the same. the zcp and cs share the same springs (different from non zcp) and rear sway bar (different from non zcp). the non zcp and cs f82 share the same front sway bar tho (different from zcp). your struts are providing all the dampening thus why the cs dampening software will help (significantly more noticeable imo on a non zcp vs. zcp)
Interesting
Appreciate 0